Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Dash radio

Good morning all. Just joined the group. I just picked my 2020 DX3 TS two weeks ago and I would like to power the radio with out the ignition key on. Anybody out there figure out where the power tap is for the radio? Thanks, Chuck and The Boys
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

I'd say currently it's on an ignition circuit from one of many....seems like those have multiple fuse boxes. Guess you could try to track down a 12V line from a panel that is the same Amp rating and continuous power. I use to do that to my old car stereo's back in the 70's. Sometimes I'd look for a continuous 12v empty slot on the fuse block and then run a wire with a In-Line fuse to my radios.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci4mynewf View Post
Good morning all. Just joined the group. I just picked my 2020 DX3 TS two weeks ago and I would like to power the radio with out the ignition key on. Anybody out there figure out where the power tap is for the radio? Thanks, Chuck and The Boys
Do you have the sound bar on the TV? If so, that sound bar has really good sound and you can pair your phone via BT. I actually watched a movie on my iPad but played the sound through the JBL sound bar.

You can also stream whatever you want through there. IE. Sirius/XM, they have AM, FM radio station apps etc.

I understand you are trying to get the dash radio to play all the time...but depending on what you are trying to listen to, there are many other options with better sound.

(Again...not trying to shy you away from adding a switched power as that was pretty common back in the day and still is for some OEM's)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #4

thanks for the reply I opted for the JBL option I think the stereo system is great I Bluetooth my Pandora through it maybe I don't know all the other options yet but I'll look into it
Old 11-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
Jim & Gerry

No cell or WiFi?

We spend our summer where the WiFi is weak and or iffy, and the cell tower (yes, tower), privately owned. If ATT cell phone, cuts off data at 10 MB. Verizon is unlimited WHEN the tower is working. Have been unable to even text for several days at a time.

So, yes, would like to be able to listen to sat radio without the ignition on. Will take several people’s advice, pull the dash and change the wiring.

Can’t stream in a lot of places!
Jeep Renegade
MovnOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #6

I just replaced the in-dash Jensen in my Forester and it was (and still is) connected to both the house and the chassis batteries and works great on either.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:25 AM   #7

Brian is right. I went through the JBL sound bar with my phone and played Pandora. But the Kenwood sounds much better. Going to pull the bezel off the dash and look around.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ci4mynewf View Post
thanks for the reply I opted for the JBL option I think the stereo system is great I Bluetooth my Pandora through it maybe I don't know all the other options yet but I'll look into it
Oh...I did not realize that you had the JBL upgrade. So yes, that does sound very nice with the added subwoofer. That does change things a bit over stock speakers and no amp.

So, the best way then is to do a switch on the dash. UP being switched chassis power (as it would normally be), Down being House power with a lead just going to the house batteries.

The switched chassis power is pretty easy as that will be identified in the radio harness. Then it might be easiest just to wire up a home-run to the batteries on the house side.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
2012 Solera

On our 2012 MBS (Solera) Forest River included a simple circuit to connect both sources (chassis battery non-switched power and house battery power) to the radio. Basically just diodes in each feed, so as to avoid effectively connecting the two batteries together through the radio wires. This “circuit” supplies voltage to the “continuous voltage / keep clock and memories alive” radio wire. The power wire to the radio on mine is connected to the house batteries, I believe. Radio works with ignition off powered by the house batteries.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #10

MovnOn I Looked at the Kenwood manual and it showed two wire for power. A red from the ignition and a yellow from direct battery. I checked mine at the back of the radio and it's wired opposite of the manual. I left two messages for Dynamax cust serv and Kenwood. Like more info before I change things.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #11
Commercial Member

If it was truly wired backwards...then in theory, you would have power all the time. Weird. I posted in the other thread as well, your response is posted in three different threads. It would be best to keep them all here for best troubleshooting efforts.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #12

Thanks Brian. In the other thread a member named Halla said his was wired the same as mine. One of your team called me back from cust serv. He said he would talk to the engineers about it and email.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

I have my coach and house power spliced together to the red wire. I didn’t originally install my Jensen so I don’t know if there are the for-mentioned diodes installed. I wired in my new Pioneer the same way and it’s working great on either power supply.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #14

I can confirm my red/yellow were backwards when I swapped to my Kenwood, that is why it was loosing the memory when I shut off the truck. The stock radio worked fine, so I am not sure if it was supposed to be wired differently. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Correct...if you connect BOTH sides from the Jensen to a "constant" hot, then it will work all the time (IE eithout the key in). The only thing that you need to remember is when dry camping, you can drain the chassis batteries to nothing. Plugged in, running gen, you are fine, the chassis batteries should be charging. And when you leave the vehicle, you would need to make sure you hit the "Power Button" to make sure your radio does not stay on. I had a guy one time, turn the radio way down and forget it was on.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Here is a potential switch if you still wanted control.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kebwood connection for key off operationf.pdf (65.8 KB, 61 views)

Old 12-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
Jim & Gerry

Thanks Brian

We took your suggestion and added a switch. Off, works with key; on, we have to manually turn it off. We did get one that lights up when on. Not sure we intercepted the red wire in the right place. When the switch is on, the cameras come on. Manually turning them off.

Thanks again
Jeep Renegade
Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Cameras on is not necessarily a bad thing. We have talked to the camera guys about using the side/rear camera as more of a security camera. There is one company that has a 4 camera set up, including a front that can be connected to a DVR.

I'd just as soon have a Ring Doorbell on the front...but with all the campsite movement it would go off all the time. But, to be able to turn on the cameras at will would be nice at times. Or if in storage to record movement.

OR maybe I'll just sell "Dynamax Video Surveillance" stickers. Frankly, we'd rather them work as a deterrent than to try and catch the crack head that broke into your RV and smashed stuff up. You're never getting them to pay for the damage.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #19
Jim & Gerry

Yes!

We talked about the cameras and decided that was a good thing to be able to see around the RV. We spend about 4 months every year in bear country. No damage to us; but one year after we left to come home the bears attacked everybody’s sewer hoses! Sprinklers!
Jeep Renegade

Tags
radio