Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #21

DQskier,

A few observation on the problems you describe with your 2016 Dynamax Force electoral system. These observation are based on prior threads on related subjects on this forum and my own experience with my 2016 Dynamax DX3.

BATTERY DRAIN DURING STORAGE
With my DX3, if I open the battery disconnect switch on the coach batteries, the coach batteries discharge very little during a month of storage. If I leave the switch closed during storage, the coach batteries discharge significantly. In my DX3, this disconnect switch is high on the left wall just inside the battery bay door.

Even if the battery disconnect switch is open, it is possible to have significant battery drain if there is an electrical problem in the circuits that bypass the disconnect switch, for example, the power step. If the step were to remain energized because of a stuck relay switch, it would drain the battery.

ISOLATOR
There are a variety of isolator and charging circuit designs. I will give you my understanding of my DX3 isolator and charging circuit design. I have now had two isolator failures. Several threads on this forum have discussed isolator difficulties with the Force and DX3 coach batteries while running the engine. You might want to check the performance of the isolator.

With shore power off, the generator off, and the coach battery disconnect switch closed, operate the engine. After a few minutes of warm-up, the alternator should put out a steady 14.1+ volts. You should be able to measure that voltage at both the chassis and coach battery terminals in the battery bay. Alternatively, you can go to the electrical bay and measure these voltages across the isolator.

On my DX3, the isolator is a small cylindrical device on the lower back wall with four terminals─one terminal has a small gauge white ground wire and another terminal has a small gauge purple wire, which goes to the engine ignition switch. Two terminals have heavy gauge red cables. One of the two terminals is connected to the alternator and the other connects to the coach batteries. In this configuration, the isolator is basically a relay switch activated by the ignition switch. You should have approximately the same 14.1 volts across the two terminals with the heavy gauge red cables. You can use the white wire terminal as ground when measuring these voltages. If the voltage of one red cable is 14.1 volts and substantially lower on the other, the isolator is not closing. The alternator and coach batteries are not connected.

If you do not measure approximately 14.1 volts on either side, you have a problem with either an inline fuse or the alternator.

STARTING THE GENERATOR WITH A WEAK BATTERY
If the coach batteries are discharged and you cannot start the generator, you could use jumper cables to jump from the chassis battery to the coach batteries. Make the last connection a ground connection away from the batteries. Batteries can generate hydrogen. A spark could cause a flame or explosion.

OPERATING THE LEVELERS WITH A BAD ISOLATOR
On my DX3, there is text on the dashboard leveler controls that says the engine must be operating. There is a low voltage warning light, and the levelers will not operate with low voltage. The voltage is that of the coach batteries. If the isolator does not function, the levelers might not work if the coach batteries are not fully charged, even if the engine is operating. Connect the coach to shore power or turn the generator on to assure adequate coach battery voltage to operate the levelers.

Cautions are required when working with electrical circuits and batteries.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #22

Thebackpacker, Thanks for this detailed description. I will print it out and follow through on your suggestions.
DQskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 AM   #23

Thumbs up Batteries

Problem resolved. The switch was on, and my husband cut a small tube to not allow it to be turned off. He took the tube off, turned it off and on again and it worked!

Tags
batteries, generator