Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Dead House Batteries and Starting Generator

Have a 2016 Dynamax Force. Motorhome is in storage plugged into shore power. However, when we returned after about a month to take it out the house batteries were discharged because something had tripped the circuit breaker on the shore power. Could not start the generator because it operates off the house batteries. Took off driving thinking the engine alternator would supply power to the house batteries but it didn't. We have had this motor home since this summer and spent many days on the road for over 10 hours a day with our residential refrigerator running and lights on and always had battery power to operate the slides etc when we stopped for the day. Therefore, I assumed the house batteries were getting their power from the alternator. The motorhome is now back in storage plugged into shore power. What should I assume happened that on this occasion the alternator did not supply power to the house batteries. Also, does the battery boost work in reverse taking power from the chassis batteries to boost the house batteries to start the generator? Seems like not being able to start the generator when the house batteries are dead is a major design flaw in the whole electrical system.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Just a what if here. If you had this condition with your slides extended, would you be able to start the coach and retract the slides?

Old 12-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Good question, I assume the slides would not work since they operate off the house batteries.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

DQskier, Would you be able to start the coach with the slides extended?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Yes you can start the coach with the slides extended.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

Using the momentary switch on the dash combines both engine start batteries with the house batteries. If the engine batteries are dead and the house batteries are good you can start the coach. In reverse you can start the generator. My coach in storage would trip the breaker because I had a bad GFCI breaker. Changed out the breaker no more tripping.

You need to put a meter on your batteries but the alternator should charge everything. Start the engine and put a meter on your house batteries and then on your engine batteries they both should be over 14 volts.

Now it could be that your house batteries were so low that it would take hours to get them back to full charge.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Hey Houstonstroker, thanks so much for that information I will take your suggestions and implement them. I think you may be right about how dead the house batteries were. Good to hear the battery boost works both ways. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

Just a thought , is your battery disconnect switch in the on or off position? must be in the on position to charge house battery from chassis alternator .
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #9

The battery disconnect is in the off position, in other words the battery is not disconnected. The batteries will only charge if that switch is in the off position no matter what you are using to charge the batteries, electric, generator or alternator.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #10

This just happened to us. Could not slide in so my FH plugged it back to house power and they came in. Do you know why the batteries did not charge? Didn’t see a blown fuse.

Tags
batteries, generator