Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #1

Dealing with limited CCC and GVWR of Isata 3

I just weighed my new Isata 3 FW and found my Gross Weight is 300 lbs below GVWR and it had no cargo on board. How are others dealing with the VERY limited CCC of the Isata 3?

We are planning a 6-8 week road trip and can't imagine that we can take everything we need for the trip and keep the GVWR! I'm looking for suggestions.

I know that GCWR is 15,250 lbs so if we pull a very light toad then we could store a small amount of cargo in it - but not much

Comments?
jnlegran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

What is your units CCC? Were your fresh/grey/black tanks empty, or close to empty? Once I realized that our CCC was only 900 pounds, the first thing I removed was the new grill that I had purchased, one that can be run off the propane tank. That hurt. I am currently looking for lawn chairs that weigh less. We will buy groceries more often when we are on the road and not stock up; food weighs a lot. My wife and I have done a couple trips to Europe, and only took one carry on bag each. It may not be convenient, and we can't just toss everything we want into the RV, but the CCC is what it is.
I am only moderately handy with tools, so I am currently looking at my toolbox to see what tools I can leave behind.
I feel your pain. For us, being older, we are already in the 'less is more' mode; downsizing is in our future and getting the RV down to the safe weight limits is a learning experience and good practice.
Good luck!
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #3

Many folks use the toads ability to carry heavy or bulky items.

Just be sure its brake system is working.

No reason to carry either grey or black water on board, traveling.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

My yellow driver door label says my CCC is 740 lbs. This has to be incorrect because by my calculations it is more like 475 since only my wife, 25 lb dog and I were aboard.

When I weighed my rig the fresh water, black and grey tanks were empty. Fuel tank was 2/3 and propane tank was at 2/3. I had no cargo onboard.

My wife would love an outdoor portable grill but that isn't going to be possible if we want to keep within the GVWR. I had also planned to carry a telescopic ladder to clean off slider before retracting but that must stay at home as well.

We love the Isata 3 but this weight limit is making us feel like we made a big mistake buying one. If you can't take what you need to travel along with you what good is a nice shiny RV?

Frustrated and going on a diet
jnlegran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #5

Another option would be to tow a small cargo trailer. You would have to figure in hitch weight, but that would increase your cargo capacity. I got a motorhome in order to avoid towing, so we are trying to make it work. To be honest, I have delayed getting it weighed; I just know that we can't carry too much. Depending on how an upcoming long trip goes, I might look at getting a small car to flat tow. That would easily take care of any CCC issues, but would mean more expenses and more to keep track of when on the road.
Last fall, after our first season, I tried to weigh all the items I removed from it prior to putting it into storage; those rough calculations had me below our limit, but did not include clothing or food.
I even ditched the sink cover to reduce weight; we seldom miss it.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Cargo is anything that you carry in the coach that is not UVW (Coach with full fuels). That includes people (cargo), water (cargo) and actually cargo.

Many people were confused by how MFG's listed CCC...so now we all list CCC using the same mandated format. Which is GVWR minus UVW = CCC.

4 point levelers? They're a blessing and a curse.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

here is a review of the Vilano 375FL
At first, the 16,000-pound gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) seemed like the Vilano was going to be light for its size, but that rating gives a false impression. After filling it with water and LP-gas and adding one battery, the actual weight left only 360 pounds for loading, which is inconsistent with the intent of this model.

Seems some manufactures dont care about CCC.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

Weight police

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnlegran View Post
My yellow driver door label says my CCC is 740 lbs. This has to be incorrect because by my calculations it is more like 475 since only my wife, 25 lb dog and I were aboard.

When I weighed my rig the fresh water, black and grey tanks were empty. Fuel tank was 2/3 and propane tank was at 2/3. I had no cargo onboard.

My wife would love an outdoor portable grill but that isn't going to be possible if we want to keep within the GVWR. I had also planned to carry a telescopic ladder to clean off slider before retracting but that must stay at home as well.

We love the Isata 3 but this weight limit is making us feel like we made a big mistake buying one. If you can't take what you need to travel along with you what good is a nice shiny RV?

Frustrated and going on a diet
To me it appears most folks are way too paranoid about weight. As one who has most likely overloaded every vehicle I have ever had, weight is not that critical.
Every part of a vehicle has a bit of wiggle room in the specs.

I'll see you down the road---I'll be the one on the side of the road waving because I put an extra 6 pack in the frig! 🙀
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
To me it appears most folks are way too paranoid about weight. As one who has most likely overloaded every vehicle I have ever had, weight is not that critical.
Every part of a vehicle has a bit of wiggle room in the specs.

I'll see you down the road---I'll be the one on the side of the road waving because I put an extra 6 pack in the frig! 🙀
Waiting for a tow? ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #10

The marine BBQ are only a few pounds,and work very well.

Marine BBQ Grills

Discount Marine and Boat Supplies - Inflatable Sales - Defender Marine › Categories › Galley

We offer Marine BBQ Grills at discounted prices. ... Boats & Motors ... Defender offers a wide selection of BBQ grills and accessories from top brands like Magma, ...
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Cargo is anything that you carry in the coach that is not UVW (Coach with full fuels). That includes people (cargo), water (cargo) and actually cargo.

Many people were confused by how MFG's listed CCC...so now we all list CCC using the same mandated format. Which is GVWR minus UVW = CCC.

4 point levelers? They're a blessing and a curse.
Looks like we need to encourage Bullseye on their aluminum levelers.
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #12

If one orders an Isata 3, can the manufacturer estimate the weight with all the desired options? An estimate within 50-75 LBS +/- would be very helpful for the consumer.

Dave
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #13

Because CCC is so marginal, I wonder why you only get four aluminum wheels instead of six when you order aluminum wheels. There could even be two aluminum wheel options, four or six, if cost was the driver.
JohnMirada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Does anybody mad an inner for a sprinter?

Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Does anybody mad an inner for a sprinter?
The LTV Unity advertises that they use 6 aluminum wheels (as a paid option) on their sprinter chasis. I believe they are all Alcoa rims. I do understand that this adds to the cost of the RV.
drbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Anyone know the option price?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #17

They advertise 6 Alcoa Dura Bright wheels option for $2730 list price.
drbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #18

I wonder what the front face finish would look like on an inner aluminum wheel after about 10,000 miles for a gain of how much weight saved. What about load range per wheel?
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote