Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Diesel Fuel Treatment

There has been some discussion recently about concerns about algae growth in fuel, water accumulation, etc especially when some rigs go long periods between being driven and receiving fresh fuel.

Here is some info on those topics:

You can get diesel fuel test kits that are super easy to use. These kits test for water in the fuel, other contaminants, algae growth, and determine the cetane value of the fuel. The kits cost $18.95 (I think this was for 5 kits) and the full suite of tests described above take about 5 minutes to complete. These things are as easy to use as testing the water in your pool or hot tub. Just Google "diesel fuel test kits" and there are number of companies that sell them. Some recommend testing once every 6 months.

Also, Cummins recently certified 2 additives for use in their engines and recommend they be used. They are both made by Power Services and are Diesel Kleen and Diesel Supplement. Kleen is the version you would run in the Summer, its supposed to lubricate the fuel system (because ULSD doesnt do that as well as the old HSD did), clean the injectors, reduce emissions, increase cetane rating 6 points and increase MPG by up to 8%. They are both compatible with your DPF emissions devices. The Supplement would be used in the Winter in place of the Kleen. Does everything the Kleen does but also lowers the gel point in the fuel and helps prevent plugging of fuel filters, etc. Sort of like fuel anti-freeze. Both are supposed to help prevent algae growth.

You can get this stuff online and I know WalMart sells it too. One 32 oz bottle treats 100 gallons, so if you buy the 32 oz bottles just do half and half in each fuel tank. The cost per fill up would be $8 if you use it for every fill up.

I don't sell this stuff nor am I promoting it. But I know we used it in all of our heavy equipment and dump trucks and it does seem to work, especially the winter treatment. Again, this particular brand is certified and recommended by Cummins. I'm sure there other brands that work just as well and are just as safe in your Cummins.

Some think its all snake oil, cant say if it is or isnt, I'm a little skeptical of the 8% mileage improvements but if there is even a slight improvement it probably offsets the $8 per fill up additional cost.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #2

I've used the kleen and the opti-lube. Kleen is cheaper, IIRC.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Opti lube, buy it 5 gallons at a time
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #4

Hi,

I have been using Power Service in my VW and GM diesels for decades.

You can't prove a negative, but I am very satisfied with it's beneficial contribution to my various vehicles' operation.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #5

Subscribed, for science. This thread is sure to deliver
Old 08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #6

I've used both PowerService and Howes Diesel Treatment. I would say that both work...

BUT, back when I had my 2002 VW Golf TDI, I could tell a bigger difference with the Howes, than I could with the PS. I even went as far as to fill up cans with diesel for comparison so that I was certain I had the same fuel for each test... The Howes always had noticeably more "pep" (probably Cetane) than the PS. Not scientific at all, but I could tell a difference.

Never had a fuel system issue ever, using either one since new, and I sold the car with 420K miles on it on the original injector pump... after running Diesel, Kerosene, and a LOT of JetA through it... it probably ran on JetA 2/3 of it's life while I had it.

Just my observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
:roflb lack:

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

I also use Howes and never had a issue with it. I think it is cheaper then Power Service to use.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Same here. My main concern was the DEF issue, but want to know more about this.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post

You can get diesel fuel test kits that are super easy to use. These kits test for water in the fuel, other contaminants, algae growth, and determine the cetane value of the fuel. The kits cost $18.95 (I think this was for 5 kits) and the full suite of tests described above take about 5 minutes to complete
This would be interesting just to see the quality of the fuel we are buying.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountieman View Post
This would be interesting just to see the quality of the fuel we are buying.
Especially the Bio-Fuel, I've actually had small globes/balls of oil floating in my diesel fuel samples, they are actually suspended at different level indicating they are not water but micro balls of Bio-Fuel....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #11

The tests are a great idea. I will look into that further.I wonder how accurate the sample for the tests will be if the fuel has been sitting for several weeks. The water and contaminants will have dropped to the bottom of the tank.

Tags
diesel, fuel