Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #1

Dish Satellite

Hello Everyone,
My wife and I just got a new I3, I was wondering if I got a Dish Playmaker or Tailgater can I set the satellite dome receiver outside and run the cable to the cable satellite connector on the motor home, put the dish receiver inside between the cable connection and tv and work ok? I’ve read a lot of posts but not clear if that will work or not. Thanks so much for any help or advise you may have.

Hank
heaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaston View Post
Hello Everyone,
My wife and I just got a new I3, I was wondering if I got a Dish Playmaker or Tailgater can I set the satellite dome receiver outside and run the cable to the cable satellite connector on the motor home, put the dish receiver inside between the cable connection and tv and work ok? I’ve read a lot of posts but not clear if that will work or not. Thanks so much for any help or advise you may have.

Hank
Hey Hank,
I personally have not used the Playmaker or Tailgater, but I have used a regular dish for several years. I run the cable from the dish to the outside Sat connector and the receiver hooks to the Sat marked connector inside, then TV to receiver however you want. Not sure on your unit, but assuming the outside Sat connector you mentioned, is on the side somewhere beside the cable connector. If so, the Sat connector is a straight thru cable and should work for your application. I may be missing what you are asking but I hope this helps.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #3

Thanks Tonyz1, yeah my connector outside is labeled cable / satellite, that makes sense if it’s straight through due to my concerns with over the air antenna connection on the roof, I will look for the satellite connector inside tomorrow, thank you for your response, this is a great forum...
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
"On the road again"

If this is the first time you are connecting a satellite dish - be prepared for potential issues. On our '17 Cardinal there are three coaxial connectors in the wet bay - one for SAT, one for CABLE and one for AUX.

When I first hooked up we had ZERO signal coming into the satellite receiver. I pulled a panel and looked behind the connectors and there was nothing hooked up to the SAT input connector - so I removed the coax from the AUX and connected it to SAT...and we had a good signal.

Not sure if things like this happen late on a Friday when people's brains have already checked out or if it's an intentional "gotcha" - but you'd think there would be someone somewhere along the route checking and correcting such things.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
Commercial Member

There are a few issues....
1. we have one cable coming in that hooks to a winegard distribution plate. That handles over the air and satellite. You MUST have the booster switch OFF to use it for satellite. If you have the booster on, it is boosting the OTA channels and will over power the sat signal.
2. Even with the booster off...sometimes, depending on the satellite, it does not like the winegard switch plate or any splitters.

Having said all of that...it has worked.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #6

Evidently the Dynamax does not have a separate TV source select panel and if there is only one external cable input port for SAT/PARK CABLE (PC) the Winegard handles OTA/SAT/PC sources. If you cannot get a good SAT antenna (Playmaker/Tailgater) signal to the receiver you will have to disconnect the SAT/PC cable from the Winegard and connect directly to your receiver (probably a Wally). That would mean that in order to view a PC connection the SAT/PC cable would have to be reconnected to the Winegard. One way this disconnecting and reconnecting can be eliminated is with the installation of a simple, inexpensive coax A/B switch and some short coax cables. There are of course other ways. An A/B switch does not affect the Wally signal to and from the Playmaker/Tailgater antennas. Hopefully you will not have an issue. By the way I use the Playmaker and it is an excellent Dish carryout antenna. It is more robust than the Tailgater I have also used.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies, bubbles if I go winegard that would be better than the King? and thanks Brian, this is one of the key reasons i went Dynamax over the others, lot of great resources here and people..
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaston View Post
Thanks for the replies, bubbles if I go winegard that would be better than the King? and thanks Brian, this is one of the key reasons i went Dynamax over the others, lot of great resources here and people..
I thought you might be referring to the King Dish Tailgater cube (which I have had) not the new domed Tailgater. I use the Winegard Dish Playmaker with the single output (it is now available with dual outputs). I have not heard any bad vibes using the new domed King Tailgater. You should have no issues with either.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite