Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #11

The question isn't if the Xantrex 3000w is safe, what's not safe is what may enter the line between the Xantrex and your inlet. You've been given a lot of good advice, I hope you use it.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #12

You need a Power Management System like the Progressive Industries. Something we have added to our system as well is a Hughes Autoformer. With this setup you simply never have to worry about power issues or having your power shut down because the EMS cut power due to a brownout.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I installed a Xantrex Pro-Sine 3000 in our Rockwood 5th wheel RV. When adding a Surge Guard surge protector before the Xantrex, it would trip instantly when shore power was applied. All wiring and both devices were correct and working when separated from one another. I suspected that the circuitry for the Xantrex's built in auto transfer switch was causing the surge protector to trip and started a thread here on FRF asking for advice. Installed Inverter/Charger...Surge Protector now tripping The thread did not bring any conclusion. Calling Xantrex brought no useful information either. I eventually contacted Progressive Industries and was told "Assuming everything is properly installed, our EMS should be fine!", so I purchased an HW30C EMS but unfortunately have yet to install it.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Thanks for the reply's. I am installing this Progressive hard wired unit.

David Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner chassis
Cummins 330 HP/1000 torque
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2008 Corvette - 2011 BMW 335xi - Honda Valkyrie
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #15

I am a firm believer in surge protectors . . . blew my Refrigerator and my converter/charger last year due to mis-wiring. Luck for me I was able to reset over heat sensor on refrig. Replaced my converter. Camping two weeks ago at a state park in New Mexico . . . lost power at least 3 times . . . nothing damaged in my unit. Brother-in-law in a much older motorhome with little electronics . . . lost his TV.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

I have installed a Progressive hard wired surge protector, black box at the top by the light.
Connecting the #6 wiring is not easy!
It seems to be working OK at this point.
I did not want the display constantly flashing numbers in the coach so I put it in the compartment so I could check it when we connect to shore power.
Thanks for all the information.

David Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner chassis
Cummins 330 HP/1000 torque
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2008 Corvette - 2011 BMW 335xi - Honda Valkyrie
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote