Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Driving/handling/ride quality - Super C vs Diesel Pusher

So, we're still trying to narrow down whether we want to go with the Dynamax Force 37BH, or the Berkshire 38A. A major deciding factor is going to be the difference in driving, handling, and ride quality. Can anyone who has driven both a DP Class A and a Super C (preferably the Force) comment on the driving/ride comfort comparison (especially for long drives - 5-6 hours or more), driver fatigue, and handling characteristics?

Also, I can't for the life of me find the degree of wheel cut on the Force - anyone know what that is?
random_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
Commercial Member

55 degree and can be turned around in a cul-de-sac. That seems to be our measuring stick. Wheel base will play a factor in that as well of course.

The one thing I can say is that the M2 is a commercial truck chassis and it is designed for long drives, day in and day out. Whereas "other mfg's" on the M2 have tried to cheapen up the seat...we upgraded our seats because you spend a large chunk of time there. It is designed so that you can comfortably get in and out of the front seats through side doors. Most Class A's have one door and if there is a driver door, it's a straight drop. We align every single unit "after" the upfit. Most chassis producers only ask you to check that the toe and camber are within tolerance. We physically align each one to mfg specs, so that your first drive should require no adjustment.

The only thing I will caution you on, is tire pressure. All of use assume max load...so make sure you can lower the pressure to match the weight if possible.

Others here can chime in on the comparison as I have not driven many DP's.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Thanks Brian!

We're just about even right now between the Force and the Berkshire - we really like the over-cab bunk on the Force for our almost-teenager to have his own dedicated space (his two younger brothers have claimed the bunks on whatever we get in the future!), and I love the towing capacity delta between the Berk and the Force, but at the same time the Berk has a more spacious interior and more counter space, as well as that panoramic Class A view out the front windshield for the driver (aka Me) and an additional half bath.

If only there was something that did everything for me, that was made by Dynamax! (Because you *really* can't beat the level of customer service that you, Brian, show every day on these forums - if there's one thing that will sway us in the end, it will almost certainly be you and your dedication!)
Old 07-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

We have a Force, drives like my 1/2 ton pickup. We didn't like the class A, felt like it was squishy, kind of floated around. I think it is personal preference. As Brian noted it is easy to get in and out, easy to work on the engine. I look forward to driving it. Good luck. We love our Force BH, had it over a year now.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #5

had an A, now a force 37bh

A few things I noticed about As in general

1. only 1/16"- 1/8" of fibreglass protects you from anything in front of you

2. only one way in and out

3. something breaks in the engine you need to go to someone to take apart your bdrm then to the freightliner service centre to fix the engine

4. see number 1

5. big, hard to find, expensive windshields

a few things about my force:

1. nearly 8 feet of truck in front of me
2. 3 doors for in and out ( think about a gas station)
3. front hood flips up and you walk to the engine to repair it
4. see 1
5. as a recent post indicated $120-200 for a windshield available the next day
6. Storage galore
7. wheels in front not behind you
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

M2 vs Class A

We currently have the DX3 or M2 freightliner, traded in the Class A Itasca primarily for two reasons, Safety and Maintenance.
There is a ride difference in that the M2 ride is more solid (not harsh), but more responsive to the drivers inputs. The Class A is softer at the expense of seeming to wander.
The extra doors have many a Class A owner envious when a malfunction leaves them outside. Think, break window or crawl through roof vent.
Of course we get tired after a 8 hour drive, but it is dooable.
The Dynamax was the best choice for us, and I would not hesitate a recommendation.
dmax36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Commercial Member

They made me remember one other thing (good posts everyone

Freightliner always talks about "white shirt check". Once you lift the hood....all of the fluids and service items are visible, standing outside the engine compartment. They use clear reservoirs and position things on the outside edges...everything done with easy access.

On a diesel pusher, engine compartment is through a floor access in your bedroom. Techs need to come into your home to service the engine.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

Most touched on it already, but besides the awesome exterior look & stance of the Force HD, our first priority was safety. The gas tank on our Allegro (Front End Diesel - FRED) was at the rear of the coach, that put 80 gallons of diesel fuel protected essentially by a fiberglass shell. I have seen to many serious rear end collision situations in stop & go traffic from major interchanges to construction zones. I know a pusher wouldn't be as bad of a risk as mine, but I love where my saddle tanks are now.

Escape routes, 4 ways out...our previous coach did not have a rear window & my 8 year old could not have even made it out of the side escape window if she tried in the rear much less me...love the bigger window in the back of the Force. The cab doors, as easy & familiar as getting in & out of my F-250.

Driver & passenger seat belts, our class A was like driving down the road in a lounge chair from my Man Cave. The seat belts were attached so far back from the "Chair" that they were useless and would never ratchet lock. I love the safety of being surrounded by an actual truck cab with air ride seats & standard seat belt configurations.

Front end collision protection, I don't know the crumple zone rating of the M2 chassis, but I sure like having something in front of me instead of a huge windshield. The hood service access was just a happy bonus in our decision. Speaking of windshields, I went thru 4 of them & so will you. On the class A Allegro it was a critical & monumental task to change one out correctly...I had mine done at the factory in Red Bay. We could find anyone qualified or trust worthy in our area to complete the task. Once I saw the setup & process at the repair shop in Red Bay for windshield repairs, I realized that there was no way a local shop would have done it correctly. I would gather that I could find several qualified local shops that change out my Freightliner windshield.

I like the extra horsepower & torque of the bigger motor in the HD, I don't struggle as much with getting a run at a hill or battling for position with truckers...the HD really does drive like a pickup truck, just with a really long bed. I fell 100% more confident in the Force HD than I ever did in any class A. I know that survivability is subjective, but I like my chances better now.

Branson, MO
jeffseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Commercial Member

As a side note, anything over 10,000 lbs does not require a crash test. (So all Class A's). The Force would not either...but chassis's all require crash tests (E450, M2, Sprinter, Promaster).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cab Crash Test Pictures.png
Views:	468
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	115505  

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As a side note, anything over 10,000 lbs does not require a crash test. (So all Class A's). The Force would not either...but chassis's all require crash tests (E450, M2, Sprinter, Promaster).
Case in point for the above discussions.

Branson, MO
jeffseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

Good info all - I appreciate it!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 PM   #12

Let me add my 2 cents. I really like the way the DX3/ M2 chassis drives and handles. I've owned diesel pushers for many years and like them too. But, for a forward control, meaning engine in the front you cant beat this M2. You'll love it when it comes to maintenence accessibility . Has adequate power, and its a proven reliable truck and chassis.

No it doesn't have 10 air bags and a tag axle... but for what it is, it's impressive.. and I'm satisfied totally.

Personally I think if you drive one, you'll be sold.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #13
Love being on the road...

I currently own a 45ft 2010 Foretravel Class A and a 2015 RB model. Love the Class A but it is a beast. We are finishing up a 2 week trip in SD, Wy and Co in the Dx3 with a grandson. Just turned 20k miles on the Dx3. I can tell you without a doubt the Dynamax is much easier and more comfortable to drive, we are now discussing trading up to a 2017 bath and half and having the Force over the cab bunk put on it and selling the Foretravel. Yes, the A has a little more room but if you get the Dynamax with the 2 front slides you will have plenty of room.. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholsted View Post
I currently own a 45ft 2010 Foretravel Class A and a 2015 RB model. Love the Class A but it is a beast. We are finishing up a 2 week trip in SD, Wy and Co in the Dx3 with a grandson. Just turned 20k miles on the Dx3. I can tell you without a doubt the Dynamax is much easier and more comfortable to drive, we are now discussing trading up to a 2017 bath and half and having the Force over the cab bunk put on it and selling the Foretravel. Yes, the A has a little more room but if you get the Dynamax with the 2 front slides you will have plenty of room.. Hope this helps, good luck.
Interesting - so you'd say both ride comfort and driver fatigue are better in the Dx3 vs the Class A DP?

Also, coming from the Class A to the Dx3, do you find yourself missing the huge front window/view while driving (just in terms of enjoying the scenery), or does it not affect the experience significantly?

Thanks for the info!

-James
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
Love being on the road...

Driver fatigue less in the Dx3 due to air ride seat and it's shorter. That said if we keep the A I will have an air ride seat installed. About a $6k price tag. We don't notice a difference in the view from the front. There may be a BIG difference in towing capacity over the Berkshire. You will notice that in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone on the run using Forest River Forums
Old 07-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #16

Good to know - thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:00 AM   #17

I think the M2 also has a big window, not class a big, but big enough. I will have to post a video from our dash cam, shows how much you can see.

2016 Dynamax Force. Just-Rite2
Old 03-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #18

Just hitting refresh on this thread as it is still a relevant topic and a good thread.

Is there anybody that would opt for the diesel pusher based on your experience? Are there any negatives to the Super C that a prospective buyer should consider?

We are hoping to schedule test drives of Super C and Diesel Pusher in the next few weeks. Planning on driving a Force HD and Isata 5 for Super C, and Berkshire and Legacy for Diesel Pusher.

Thank you.
content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #19

unlike a diesel pusher platform, the super c ultimately cannot give you the same floorplan sqft since it's front end is part of the 'length' of the coach, not to exceed the 45' limit.... or it retracts from usable floor space versus the same length diesel pusher...

if you like accessibility to the engine, such as easily 'seeing' everything and having them at your fingertips, and the additional 'pulling' capacity of a super C, then you might be willing to give up a little usable floor space...

otherwise, a diesel pusher gets great fuel mileage, especially on the smaller 'compact' varieties like the Legacy, Palazzo, PaceArrow, and other similar models... mostly those on the Freightliner XCS chassis, and in the 300-340hp range Cummins isb6.7L... and gives more usable sq footage versus the super C... I especially like the mid-door of the smaller diesel coaches.

I've transported both types from the factories, and certainly prefer the smoother ride of the diesel pusher platform, as the super C tends to be more 'heavy' feeling and a somewhat stiffer overall ride..though some come with air ride for the driver seat, and certainly more 'loud' since the engine is right there in front of you - with a pusher you really have little noise associated with the engine - conversations and music are easy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #20

Its all personal preference, drive both and you will know. We didnt like the pushers felt like a boat floating down the road, the super c is like driving my pickup truck. We are all different so take your time and you will make the right decision.

Tags
diesel, quality