Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Dual Feed Dual Return

Anyone have a good handle on this and how it works? Drove 230 miles with the generator running the whole time. Drove home the same 230 miles with no generator running. I was completely full at the start of the trip. The red light empty fuel came on 60 miles from home. I pressed on cuz I knew it could not be empty. That was a little unnerving.

Got home filled up driver's side 21.6 gallons passenger side 43.2. If we assume that we can only put 45 in each side then I still had 25 gallons left.

My real question is could I run out of fuel if the passenger tank went to 0?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

From what I know about my personal coach. The engine draws fuel from the drivers side tank and returns it to the passenger side tank. There is a cross-over hose/tube that equalizes the fuel, it is just gravity powered. If one or both of the tank vents get clogged the fuel will not equalize correctly. It is likely that one of the vent tubes is plugged up n your rig. I also know that algae grows in those tanks and fuel and is likely the cause of your problem. Here is a thread on the subject of algae

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ed-166639.html
Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Carknocker Family

Engine pulls fuel from passenger side, returns excess to drivers. As tanks get lower the rate of transfer will speed up due to gravity.
Way my work truck works anyways. Freightliner chassis.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Engine pulls fuel from passenger side, returns excess to drivers. As tanks get lower the rate of transfer will speed up due to gravity.
Way my work truck works anyways. Freightliner chassis.
Mine is a Freightliner M2 106. Although it is a 2005 model chassis, maybe they switched things up on the later models.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

That was the way my old sterling was same as yours. New 2017 freightliner, different.

BUT has been in shop for 6 months of the 8 months since being put into service. To much electrical junk for their own good. Kinda like some of these rigs I see on here!
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

I’ve not paid a ton of attention to which side takes more as I’m usually filling from satellite pumps that have one counter, but I can confirm the gas gauge/light is conservative.

I ran it all the way down to E once and still only put 82 gal in. Talk about unnerving though. I went like 40 mi on E and was sweating the whole way. Not going to make a regular habit of that but I’ve convinced myself it’s ok to start looking for a stop when the light comes on rather than at a quarter tank as I had been before
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Dual Feed, Dual return....there is no hose between that connects them together other than that. They have done away with anything that pumps fuel between the tanks, because in case of a fire or wreck, they don't want something pumping fuel. So it has to work passively.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote