Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

DX 36TS has arrived!!!

Well after 4 months of WAITING, my DX37TS has arrived. So far only a couple of issues. 1) Both pocket door straps came out of the wall, allowing the door to slide open and crash into the opposing wall. Anyone have any suggestions to a better strap? 2) I was about to connect my DirecTV box when I discovered there is no way to point the remote at the box from the recliners? 3) This is a 2018, why didn't I get an Oxygenics shower head?
Generally, it is a VERY nice MH. However, I found it was a dog(35mph) trying to go up a 6% grade.
pw11326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Congratulations. I used a spring loaded bolt lock from Amazon to hold both pocket doors in place. No movement at all.
Also, you can get an IR extender for the Direct TV box so the remote works, we added one for the bluray player.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw11326 View Post
Well after 4 months of WAITING, my DX37TS has arrived. So far only a couple of issues. 1) Both pocket door straps came out of the wall, allowing the door to slide open and crash into the opposing wall. Anyone have any suggestions to a better strap? 2) I was about to connect my DirecTV box when I discovered there is no way to point the remote at the box from the recliners? 3) This is a 2018, why didn't I get an Oxygenics shower head?
Generally, it is a VERY nice MH. However, I found it was a dog(35mph) trying to go up a 6% grade.
Congrats to you with your new rig. I've never understood why Dynamax (and just about all MH manufacturers) still use the 8.9L Cummins. It's just not enough power for the weight. Seems like most of these rigs are rolling roadblocks when going up 5%+ grades.

There is an option to increase the torque output of the 8.9. It's available from Freightliner for about $2500 or so for increasing the torque to 1,250 lbs. Once the unit is out of warranty the same mod is available for well under $1000. Maybe bclemens will tune in and explain why they don't use the available Detroit DD13 engine which has a starting point of 50%+ more torque than the Cummins. I've seen my neighbors Sportchasis (same Freightliner M2 frame) climb a 7% grade at 70 mph while pulling a horse trailer weighing north of 20,000 pounds.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Quote:
We actually thought the same thing (dog, feels like you have to floor it alot)
Not sure with the same engine our class A seemed more powerful.
Make sure you take it out of the "economy mode" EVERY time you fire it up and do some manual downshifting yourself on hills, it doesn't seem to drop down soon enough. We just had it out in Wyoming where its friggin at least a 5000 elevation and up everywhere, it did well doing the above things.
Enjoy your new coach!!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

I currently have a 6.7 in my Seneca and the larger more powerful engine is one of the reasons I am considering moving up to the DX3. Maybe back east it will have plenty of power.
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

For hill climbing, does everyone manually downshift to get the rpm up to 1,900 rpm for maximum torque? In one of the manuals provided by Cummins, I read, in effect, if the pedal is floored, for engine protection, rpm should be kept between the rpms for maximum torque and maximum horsepower.

If I leave shifting to the transmission, on hills the rpm will be well under 1,900 rpm.

An owner of an old Dynaquest, told me his sweet spot for maximum, fuel economy is 1,900 rpm. Has anyone else determine engine rpm for maximum fuel economy?

Gerard
2016 DX3
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We had to manually downshift on steeper grades. Haven't studied the rpm while doing it, but you feel the engine respond.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Congrats to you with your new rig. I've never understood why Dynamax (and just about all MH manufacturers) still use the 8.9L Cummins. It's just not enough power for the weight. Seems like most of these rigs are rolling roadblocks when going up 5%+ grades.

There is an option to increase the torque output of the 8.9. It's available from Freightliner for about $2500 or so for increasing the torque to 1,250 lbs. Once the unit is out of warranty the same mod is available for well under $1000. Maybe bclemens will tune in and explain why they don't use the available Detroit DD13 engine which has a starting point of 50%+ more torque than the Cummins. I've seen my neighbors Sportchasis (same Freightliner M2 frame) climb a 7% grade at 70 mph while pulling a horse trailer weighing north of 20,000 pounds.
The DD13 has a different exhaust set up that eliminates a storage box. Plus it seems most people are more comfortable with the Cummins for whatever reason. As for the 8.9, we get very few complaints. I have a customer that was in here a week ago and traded in a Newmar DP and has been ecstatic. Not sure if they are custom tuning the Allison transmission, but I know that it is customizable.

The next step up is the M2-112 and available in the Dynaquest Xl. Its the same 8.9L Cummins, but with the larger radiator which allows for more HP and Torque.

Really there are more Seneca's on the road than anything due to price point and those are all M2-106's ISB, 340 HP and only 700 torque. The ISL is a huge improvement over that. And if you want the 112, there is always the XL.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #9

PW...tell us about how you are liking the unit!!

Mike
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

AC issues

So here we are in HOT California. The temperature outside is in the mid 90s and the temp inside is 87. Both AC are on BLAST. The unit is an Atwood AirCommand. Any suggestions?? Im on the road, not near where I bought the unit. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #11

There is a baffle in each unit, it separates the air intake from the output. Ours was not place properly and wouldn't cool down. You can see the baffle if you take off the white cover. Hope that helps
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #12
Team Watts

Send a message via AIM to TeamWatts
Quote:
I just left the factory and we tried the earth magnets at the back of the sliding pocket doors and the strap. The magnets kept it from bouncing and the elastic strap gave more security.
Chuck, Army (Ret) & Patricia, Barber
TeamWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
Team Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The DD13 has a different exhaust set up that eliminates a storage box. Plus it seems most people are more comfortable with the Cummins for whatever reason. As for the 8.9, we get very few complaints. I have a customer that was in here a week ago and traded in a Newmar DP and has been ecstatic. Not sure if they are custom tuning the Allison transmission, but I know that it is customizable.

The next step up is the M2-112 and available in the Dynaquest Xl. Its the same 8.9L Cummins, but with the larger radiator which allows for more HP and Torque.

Really there are more Seneca's on the road than anything due to price point and those are all M2-106's ISB, 340 HP and only 700 torque. The ISL is a huge improvement over that. And if you want the 112, there is always the XL.
I am the one that traded a Newmar DP for the DX3 and have had great luck with my DX3. I have not done anything to the engine or transmission. Have asked if Freightliner would chip the engine but due to the radiator, it is not suggested and would not be done by Freightliner (Legally within warranty.) I have found in both my Newmar and my DX3 that if you learn the feel of your engine and transmission when climbing hills, down shifting makes the trip up much easier and quicker. I actually raced another Newmar friend of mine up several mountain hills when I had my Newmar and beat him every time due to knowing the shift time.

A note On fuel consumption, On my way back East from the factory this last weekend, I ran at 65 mph on cruise and actually had better mpg than before. Dave at Hills Truck Sales (Freightliner that works trucks for Dynamax) told me I would get better mpg at 65 mph on cruise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
PW...tell us about how you are liking the unit!!

Mike
Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
Team Watts

We are very impressed with the unit and Dynamax.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #15

Impressions so far

After 11 days in 110+ temps with no AC we finally got the unit to a certified Atwood technician. As mentioned in a previous post the baffles were NOT installed properly. With that fixed the unit worked GREAT, except on high fan when the drainage overflowed onto the floor

It took 5 miles to get the MH up to 55 mph. Transmission auto shifts at 1400 RPM on both Modes. I found if I could get it up to 55 mph or so I could put it on cruise control and adjust the speed utilizing the acc toogle to up the speed. I went up some pretty steep hills in California and Arizona at 55-60mph.

I tried every thing during my 14 day trip and was very happy with the results, except the sewer bath I received when the macerator hose came off the pump (Gee, I think the factory forgot a clamp??).

Would recommend this MH who is looking at a Super C.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #16

That baffle issue happened on my Thor and my Dynamax. Seems the baffle can come out of the slot pretty easily and overlooked. Just one of the things on the PDI.