Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 AM   #1

Dx3

Have anyone tow about 10,000 lbs on the dx3 with the 350hp/ 1000TQ? How does it up on some up hills. I been looking at the DX3 but sorta leaning towards the Dynaquest XL for the extra HP/ TQ. I just wish the XL comes with The DD13 engine.
Ka0t1c07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #2

I have. From practical experience towing in the west, I think the DX3 does a decent job on most grades. The key is to keep it in the power band and for me that is about between 67-73 mph. If I have to take my foot off the pedal for traffic and fall below that range it is very difficult to build momentum back up to those speeds.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the performance.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

I've towed 8000lb I70 across the Rockies 5 or 6 times. Perfectly acceptable to me but some others seem to expect not to slow down. Itll do 40 up the 7% grades but you're going to slow down. Still pulls faster than the semis. Works fine for me.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

We have also pulled 7000-8000lbs in West Virginia and Virginia mountains. In my opinion it pulls just fine. I am not sure I want to be going 70-75 in the mountains anyways, we were passing semis and I felt I was at a safe speed.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:07 AM   #5

I tow a Jeep (5,800#) and a PJ trailer (3,940#), and my DX3 does an okay job at pulling. If I were to do it again, I'd have stepped up to a XL.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

Some on here have the "Tool Time" Tim Allen thinking "need more power"

The DX3 and Force have plenty of power to pull the Rockies and other mountain ranges out in the West. You will slow down on the climbs especially if you leave it in DRIVE and just mash the pedal. Once you fall below 1400 rpm on a hill you will not get it back till the top.

SO, you have to "drive the truck". There is nothing that says you have to leave it in drive. Manually downshift to keep your rpm in 1600 to 1900 and climb the hill. Do watch your temperatures when doing this. If temp starts to climb you will have to back out on the throttle but the DX/Force will pass most all semi trucks on the hill (unless the semi is empty) or it is uptuned over 550 hp.

Also, make sure you put it back in drive as you approach the crest of the hill. Your engine speed governor only works based on throttle input. The engine will over rev on the down side if you do not control the speed imparted by gravity.

The M2 is a very capable truck when it is driven. If you just mash the pedal then you are only riding not driving.

I drive semi trucks to make vacation money!

Have fun.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post

The DX3 and Force have plenty of power to pull the Rockies and other mountain ranges out in the West. You will slow down on the climbs especially if you leave it in DRIVE and just mash the pedal. Once you fall below 1400 rpm on a hill you will not get it back till the top.

SO, you have to "drive the truck". There is nothing that says you have to leave it in drive. Manually downshift to keep your rpm in 1600 to 1900 and climb the hill. Do watch your temperatures when doing this. If temp starts to climb you will have to back out on the throttle but the DX/Force will pass most all semi trucks on the hill (unless the semi is empty) or it is uptuned over 550 hp.

Also, make sure you put it back in drive as you approach the crest of the hill. Your engine speed governor only works based on throttle input. The engine will over rev on the down side if you do not control the speed imparted by gravity.

The M2 is a very capable truck when it is driven. If you just mash the pedal then you are only riding not driving.

Have fun.
Very well said. Agree on all of this.

I'll also add that 4th gear is my happy place with the engine break on high on the downhills. Tried 5th once and it wanted to run away from me coming off Vail pass. Never tried D tho, will have to see how that behaves.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
Very well said. Agree on all of this.

I'll also add that 4th gear is my happy place with the engine break on high on the downhills. Tried 5th once and it wanted to run away from me coming off Vail pass. Never tried D tho, will have to see how that behaves.
I also use gears and engine brake (JAKE) to control gravity. That being said I have also found that often the downside of mountain pass is not always as steep as the upside. I will start down in D but will drop gear if I have to hit brake in addition to the jake to control speed. Will drop gear and see if it holds. Again, driver must watch tach in this case so engine speed does not over rev. Governors don't protect engine when engine is being rev'd by gravity on the hill.

I have found that paying attention to the OTR drivers and what they are doing has really helped me when on unfamiliar highways.

I e. If truckers are cresting hill and leaving the flashers on and staying in "creep" you know that the downhill is going to be steep. That truck may block the warning signs from your view. There are a couple of passes on I90 in Idaho and Montana that a motorhome (especially one towing) should be down to around 30 and engine brake full on. Just get in line with the truckers until they start to take off. The hill is really steep and winding 6 - 8% grades and fairly tight turns.

cheers!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

Just make sure to pick the right truckers hahah. It's clear sometimes that some of them dont have any clue either

But I agree. First time on a climb I usually find somebody making decent pace and stick with them.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #10

This past summer I did the million dollar highway between Ouray and Silverton Co. both ways towing a 5,000 pound trailer. Friends of mine thought I was crazy but it was actually a easy drive. The DX3 pulled the hills easily and with the engine brake on the down hills I rarely used the brakes.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Wow I drove that in a jeep. Not sure I'm keen to do so in the DX3. Your friends may be right
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #12

Dx3

Slow and easy because of all the curves but no problem at all!
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
ETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post
This past summer I did the million dollar highway between Ouray and Silverton Co. both ways towing a 5,000 pound trailer. Friends of mine thought I was crazy but it was actually a easy drive. The DX3 pulled the hills easily and with the engine brake on the down hills I rarely used the brakes.
You're my hero. Done that drive a few times in a car. I'd never think of doing it a DX3 with a tow. With my wife driving and me in the passenger seat is the one and only time I've had vertigo in my life.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #14
Señor Miembro

Being in the Cascade Mountains, we're opting for the XL over the DX3 solely for the extra engine power. Though key fob locking basement hatches will be a nice plus too. To get up to mt. hood to go skiing, the highway averages 7% but gets as bad as 16% in places! If we lived in TX or the East half of the US, we'd go with the DX3.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post

Have fun.
I have been giving a lot of thought to your experience in truck driving and I wanted to than you for your driving advice. I am still learning how to "drive" my Frieghtliner M2. I have never driven such an technologically advanced truck. I am a quick study though. I will use your driving techniques on my upcoming trip to the Dynamax factory from Las Vegas, Southern Route.

Again thank you.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
Being in the Cascade Mountains, we're opting for the XL over the DX3 solely for the extra engine power. Though key fob locking basement hatches will be a nice plus too. To get up to mt. hood to go skiing, the highway averages 7% but gets as bad as 16% in places! If we lived in TX or the East half of the US, we'd go with the DX3.
If I had to do it again, I would have gone with the XL just for the power. I think towing with the DX3 is mediocre at best.
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote