Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 12:27 AM   #1

DX3 front ac not enough to cool in very hot weather

Does anyone know of a fix for this? It's a RB and with the slides out the bedroom gets cold but the front does not. I've had both ACs checked and they are working normally. The ambient temp was in the high 90s
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

We had the same problem with heat coming in the cab windows and windshield. I tinted the front windows and ordered a shade from sun pro. Between those and using the reflective shades that came from Dynamax we don't get the heat in the front unless it's upper 90's and we're facing directly into the sun. Even then it's not bad at all any more.

Here's a link to the shade. Motorhome RV Windshield Covers Super C - Sunpro Mfg
Ryan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Same issue with Cab heat. Found a few thermal windows covers which kind of help.

Found a company called Breezeway that makes a screen that mounts into the Freightliner M2 windows, I am not sure if air circulation would help cut down on the baking effect.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

Thanks,
Since that experience I have purchased window shades made for the Freightliner M2 chassis. Haven't used it in hot weather yet. Will try that before doing anything too drastic. My other options seem to be replacing my 15KBTU front AC with a new 18KBTU unit and connecting the ductwork between the front and rear. Both options expensive.

Dennis & Janis LaFleur
2014 DX3 RB, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
Pure Bred Cajun in Lafayette, LA
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #5

RV Atwood Air Command A/C 18k BTU
Does anyone have any experience with this unit? I understand Dynamax is looking into using them
Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Commercial Member

We use them now. The 15k Atwood is rated at 18k BTU. We love them. When Dometic bought Atwood...there was some confusion and the Atwoods were not ordered, so there was a period of time we used the Dometic A/C. We're back to the Atwoods. The Atwood has a much lower amp draw (on a 50 amp coach its not as big a deal...30 amp much more). It is also quieter. Atwood did go through a period of time where they drilled the drain holes in the wrong spot...so they had some leak issues, but I think that TSB has been sent out already and addressed. So they have not been perfect, but fit our needs nicely. Im a big fan and in situations where people have not been able to cool a coach in very hot areas, dropping an Atwood in its place has solved 99% of the issues.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Can I retrofit one in my 2014 DX3 and will my thermostat controls and ductwork be compatible? Does it have a heat pump and finally where can I get one?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #8

I found 4 dealers in my area and I see that the 18K unit comes standard with a heat pump.
Would appreciate if you could answer the compatibility questions.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

We had the same issue after our shake down cruise this summer on our Force. Low flow and not nearly enough to cool down the rig. When the tech and I pulled the AC interior cover off there was a divider (1" thick flat piece of foam) that divides the intake from the out flow that had fallen out of place. Basically cool air blowing from the unit was being sucked right back into the intake and never making it into the roof ducting. A quick tape job and we were back in business.
Hey_nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
Can I retrofit one in my 2014 DX3 and will my thermostat controls and ductwork be compatible? Does it have a heat pump and finally where can I get one?
Everything is almost always possible.

I know that the Atwood uses a different T-stat wire than the Dometic. Not sure on the Coleman. You can get the Atwood with a heat pump.. You would have to call around to see what dealers have them in stock (which it looks like you have done)

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #11

I'm having both ACs changed out on my DX3 now with Atwoods. Installer figured out how to rewire from the Colemans. Should get to try it next week
Old 04-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the update.. would like to know what all was involved as far as fit and thermostat hook-up. Appreciate it..
Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfishing View Post
I'm having both ACs changed out on my DX3 now with Atwoods. Installer figured out how to rewire from the Colemans. Should get to try it next week
I also changed my Atwoods out to Coleman Mach 8's due to the overall height of the Atwoods and not the units themselves.
The Atwoods have a 4 conductor wiring harness with a small plug on the end for the T-stat, cut off the plug and pull in a 18ga 7 conductor T-stat or Belden type wire. The ceiling has a very small tube that is used for a raceway/conduit.
The Colemans seem to be somewhat cooler but they are a bit nosier but that might be due to a faster fan. I also ordered some Frght. B2 windsheild & side glass shades and I try them out next month.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Bravo View Post
I also changed my Atwoods out to Coleman Mach 8's due to the overall height of the Atwoods and not the units themselves.
The Atwoods have a 4 conductor wiring harness with a small plug on the end for the T-stat, cut off the plug and pull in a 18ga 7 conductor T-stat or Belden type wire. The ceiling has a very small tube that is used for a raceway/conduit.
The Colemans seem to be somewhat cooler but they are a bit nosier but that might be due to a faster fan. I also ordered some Frght. B2 windsheild & side glass shades and I try them out next month.
We should have been in touch, one of my Colemans had a bad compressor and the other is sitting in my garage. I'll sell I cheep If anyone wants it.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF1945 View Post
Thanks for the update.. would like to know what all was involved as far as fit and thermostat hook-up. Appreciate it..
I don't know the details, installer figured it out. He used some existing wires to provide 12V to each unit and ran the provided Atwood harness through light fixtures and ductwork to get to the theromastats. I now have two, one for each unit and that is more convenient. He mounted the bedroom one to the right of the TV and the living room one in the same location as the original dual theromastat. He rewired the Atwood temp sensor to use the original external one. This way he could mount the thermostat in the cabinet and still get accurate living room temp.
I am extremely pleased with the changeout they are much quieter, we can now hear the tv, and use much less amperage. As I type this I am running both units on a 30amp plug-in, didn't have 50amp available.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #16

I have noticed that the Coleman's are cooler and I will agree that the fans are louder than the Atwwoods on Hi but really i havent had to run the front/rear on Hi unlees it was for a short time.
I have run the rear on Hi only and It blows very well and cools the front just fine through the Ducts. The Coleman's have be on the coach for about a year now and work flawlessly, there was a problem with the fan blades a few years ago with earlier units and that has been fixed.
I am able to run both units on a 30a service as well.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #17

Dual pane windows
Will the new Windows on the 2018 models fit on my 2014 DX3 RB?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
Commercial Member

No sorry. The 14 still had curved sidewalks and windows.