Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

DX3 Generator No Start

My generator wont start, makes a clicking noise like a dead battery. I tried using the switch on the dash to connect all the batteries same noise, I tried jumping with another battery same noise. I checked voltage at the battery cables where they enter the generator and I have 12.3 volts, not great but should start. Any help would be great.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

How long are you holding in the start button. It takes quite a while for the manifold heaters to function before it starts when it's cold. It makes a "clicking " while this is happening.
rvsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

I held it for quite awhile, also when trying to start it at the generator the switch is flashing fast and continuously while holding the switch down.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Mine does that as well. I should of timed mine yesterday when I started it.
Maybe someone else will join in but from what I'm reading out of this is your g generator is just heating up before start
rvsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

I agree hold the switch longer...
Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
jkoenig24

Did you try with the diesel engine running? Start the engine, allow it to idle for about five minutes; then try to start the generator. You will still need to hold the generator start switch for 30 ~ 45 seconds but, the generator should start. Once you get the generator running for about five minutes, put a full load on it. Run the heat pump on both AC units (or AC if your location is warm enough). Turn on as much AC electric as you can and give the generator a good workout. Evry 3 ~ 4 weeks, the generator needs to be exercised.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

I think you all may be missing what webefine is saying because I am having the same problem. The gen acts like it has got its own dead battery some place. All my batteries are up but the gen turns over a couple times a then clicks like a dead battery.
mypalal51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies, got it running tonight. I think it was a combination of not enough battery at first and then I tried jumping it with another battery I didn't hold the switch long enough.

Tags
generator