Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

DX3 optional satellite

For 2019 there is an option for a triple LNB satellite. What is the features and benefits of that system vs the base model?

Thanks,
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Pros
1. it is the only one that will allow dual receivers to actually watch any channel you want. The regular in-motion only watches ONE satellite at a time. So if you want to watch two different channels on two different receivers they must be on the same satellite. Triple LNB sees all (3) sats at one time.
2. It is the only dish where you can get DirecTV HD. The sat for DirecTV HD is such a narrow band that in motion just won't work...it has to have the bigger dish. So if you want NFL Sunday ticket in HD, you have to use this dish.

Cons:
1. Cost
2. Not in-motion. You must remember to put it down when in transit. Once you get to where you are going you have to activate it where it will raise up like a normal antenna

Cons for both:
if you park in trees or there is heavy rain, you still get nada.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

I would add 1 more con for the triple LNB. When raised up, its quite a wind catcher. If you leave it up at t anight and a big windy thunderstorm comes up, you want to lower it. We had that setup on our previous Class A and we didnt lower it in a storm, it got tweaked and had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully).

The in-motion unit is like a little R2D2 sitting up there, no need to worry about lowering it or forgetting to lower it when you drive off.

But, it was cool watching the 3 LNB unit come up and do its automatic alignment with the satellites. Some of us are very easily entertained......

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

We have both on ours and can switch back and forth depending on whether we're moving or parked. I just take the DirecTV box and remote from our living room, plug them into the RV and away we go. Got to have my HDTV!
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

I am finding the in-motion unit, a wally, and dish. It has not worked all that well. We don't watch that much, HD is not that big of a deal, BUT, I would like it to work when I turn it on. Does the triple LNB work better or more reliably? Is it worth the premium price?
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 PM   #6

Must be something wrong with yours. We have the in motion and Dish box and it works fine.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
I am finding the in-motion unit, a wally, and dish. It has not worked all that well. We don't watch that much, HD is not that big of a deal, BUT, I would like it to work when I turn it on. Does the triple LNB work better or more reliably? Is it worth the premium price?
I have the same setup as you. I also get frustrated because the Dish service will not just automatically startup when I bring it out of storage. After calling tech support several times (they have been very good), I figured out that I can reset the Dish service using their app. The service will go idle if not used regularly and needs a refresh signal.

Once it gets going, we have not had issues even when watching while rolling down the road. Taking our 3 yr old grandson to the Grand Canyon in Sept and counting on Dish to provide some distraction from days of travel.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
You may want to look at the other receiver (vip211 or something I think it is). Thats what I've got and when I've looked into swapping to the wally for the RF remote I saw some mention of it needing more satellites or something than the other one which stopped me in my tracks. I've had pretty good luck with ours finding signal, sure it takes a few min on startup but never had to call tech support. Now that may be due in part to doing pay-as-you-go so I always have to call them initially to activate it before a long trip.

Tags
lite, satellite