Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you boondock, you will need a toad. Have you considered a 5th wheel so you can use your truck as a run about if you decide to do stuff in a nearby town while boondocking?
We are planning to tow a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. We're keen to do some 4x4 on our travels and think it will make a great toad.
coloradomtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #22

bclemens, When will we be able to order the 34KD (FD)?
dwgerre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #23
Commercial Member

unfortunately it will be some time. Corporate policy is that the proto-type is completed (which is scheduled to be done in Sept.). The finished product is reviewed by corporate engineering and corporate PDI facility, BEFORE we go into full production. So you can order around the Sept time frame.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomtn View Post
Hi,

We’re long-time lurkers and getting ready to purchase either a Dynamax DX3 (optioned with the cab over bed) or an older class a diesel pusher like a Country Coach Allure or Foretravel U320 (37’ tag models).

We primarily boondock around OHV areas that have rain ruts, stutter bumps & uneven ground. We’re not talking about 4x4 trails. These roads are doable with a Honda Civic.

1. How much ground clearance does the DX3 have? We’ve read on this site that it has 10" at rest and 13” driving. We think class a's only have 8-10” but we have not been able to verify this. Any know?
The Leveling Foot Pads are at lowest point other than axle housing, they would be my biggest concern, but with 6" lift should be good to go, you'll just need 6" or more of jack pads to add below leveling foot pads
2. Does adding 4x4 give the DX3 additional ground clearance and if so, how much? Are there other ways to add ground clearance?
Tulsa Manufacturing will install OEM 4X4 and lifts 6" front and rear
3. How much does the DX3 locking diff help in boondocking situations?
Differential Lock works good but only for extremely slow speed operation
4. Is the Freightliner M2 truck chassis better suited to dirt road driving over a Freightliner motorhome chassis?
Probably, but extreme twisting of frame is not good for any of these units
5. Are there any other things that we’re not considering that give the DX3 an edge over the class a’s?
Adding 6" Lift also adds 6" height and will put you at 13ft which is also a big consideration when boondocking due to tree limb hangover

We’ve heard that the DX3 35' and 36’ models are being discontinued. Do you know approximately when the floor plan and specs for the 34FD will be available?

We will be part-timing (4-6 months at a time) and carrying two motorcycles (approx 750lbs combined) using a Hydralift and will be towing a Jeep Wrangler 2 door.

Thanks so much for your help!
See answers in red, best I could do...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomtn View Post
Hi,

We’re long-time lurkers and getting ready to purchase either a Dynamax DX3 (optioned with the cab over bed) or an older class a diesel pusher like a Country Coach Allure or Foretravel U320 (37’ tag models).

We primarily boondock around OHV areas that have rain ruts, stutter bumps & uneven ground. We’re not talking about 4x4 trails. These roads are doable with a Honda Civic.

1. How much ground clearance does the DX3 have? We’ve read on this site that it has 10" at rest and 13” driving. We think class a's only have 8-10” but we have not been able to verify this. Any know?
2. Does adding 4x4 give the DX3 additional ground clearance and if so, how much? Are there other ways to add ground clearance?
3. How much does the DX3 locking diff help in boondocking situations?
4. Is the Freightliner M2 truck chassis better suited to dirt road driving over a Freightliner motorhome chassis?
5. Are there any other things that we’re not considering that give the DX3 an edge over the class a’s?

We’ve heard that the DX3 35' and 36’ models are being discontinued. Do you know approximately when the floor plan and specs for the 34FD will be available?

We will be part-timing (4-6 months at a time) and carrying two motorcycles (approx 750lbs combined) using a Hydralift and will be towing a Jeep Wrangler 2 door.

Thanks so much for your help!

I will give you my .02 worth (worth every penny) 😁

When I traded our fifth wheel in and got rid of the dually, I told my wife while we were signing papers that “younwait intil the first time we park on wet grass”

Sure as the sun shines, the first time we took the RV out and it rained briefly, we tried to pull out of our spot (boondocking in less than 2-3” of grass), I had to get a tractor to pull me out.
Having said that, one of the selling points of the DX3 was it has lockers in the rear axle. I’m pretty sure it would have pulled me out of that grass with the extra wheel turning.

My thoughts....

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, class a