Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

DX3 slideouts....

Hello to all. I haven't introduced myself on the Welcome mat forum yet. I wanted to jump right in here with the Dynamax forum. I've been lurking for a while and I must say how impressed I am with the feedback direct from Dynamax (Brian). That leads me to my first 3 questions: I'm interested in the DX3 bunk house model and would like to use the bunk space for other tasks (storage perhaps).

My first question is what is a safe weight allowance for that particular slide out on the new 38BH models? (Maybe a Brian question) Are the bunks easily removeable? (second question)

I've been in contact with Dynamax sales and know I can get a DX3 without the need for propane at all. I'll be opting for a diesel Aqua Hot, induction cooktop with no oven option and residential fridge; eliminating propane.

And my third question: Is "propaneless" the best way to go given the excellent solar/lithium battery systems available from places like AM Solar? I will install that kind of system. Expensive but I think worth it for off grid applications in the long run. I look forward to feedback and all future chats. I'm very excited to become a full-timer!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

No need for introductions, I'm a "jump right in" kind of guy.

1. On paper, we figure about 300 lbs per bunk. So assume 600lbs for that section. Some people use that slide system for a main slide, and I figure those can accommodate more than that, with potentially 5-6 people sitting in a living room slide.

2. The bunks could be omitted on an order and other than a few holes for the upper, they would be pretty easy to take out. They basically sit on an aluminum angle that is screw to the walls and all it all goes in after the fact, so no reason it can't come out.

3. The actual cook top is just electric. The induction (according to our tests) did not heat up the water as fast and of course requires special pans...so while they are both electric, the one we're using is not induction. We're not comfortable with the performance yet.

4. I have no opinion on the propane portion. I know some people like the idea for safety, but I've been RV'ing with propane for years and years. Some of the rental accounts i dealt with have 1000 units on the road at any time running propane with novices and I can't think of a single issue regarding unsafe propane over 12 years. Solar is always nice, but so is having a back up.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Thank you again for the reply. 600 lbs is a fair amount and gives me a good starting point.

Glad to hear the bunks are easy to deal with...I kinda figured aluminum angle came in to play there.

I may have meant electric vs. induction. However, that is interesting info on your research (induction vs. electric), and good point about the special (conductive) pans being needed for induction.

I think working and living on many different boats in the last 25 years has biased me towards not using propane...only because it wasn't typical on the vessels I worked. That, of course, is not a good reason to discount propane and I will consider it's use with no fear or worries.

Again, thank you.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Commercial Member

While I have no opinion, I can see the draw of not needing to worry about filling propane tanks or even gaining that space for exterior storage.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

There is something about it that appeals to me and it's probably just that I would have only one fuel to deal with for the vehicle (diesel). Seems tidy. Ok, that's my OCD kicking in!

Tags
slide, slide out