Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

DX3: Water dripping by hitch???

My coach is a 2018 DX3 37TS.

Before I start down a long road of investigation, I thought I would ask. Recently, when I park after driving several hours, I have a small water drip coming from underneath the coach. Its just in front of the hitch (but up higher underneath). Its not a lot of water, but enough to notice (makes a 12" diameter wet spot and then stops).

Question - I wonder if water may "slosh" out of the fresh water overflow and then drip down when stopped. Yesterday I drove with probably half-tank of fresh water which doesn't seem like enough to cause that...but maybe.

Any thoughts?
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #2

I am not sure where the fresh tank drain is on the TS, on our BH model the drain is in the propane tank area. I drive with 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank, but I have had no water drips. Sometimes we get drips if we drive with the roof AC on, but not in that area you are describing.

Hope you can get some help figuring this out.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks Halla. The overflow is back there. I'm confused though.... A) really seems odd it would drain right as I stop, but maybe its doing all the time I'm driving and B) seems odd to be doing it at half full or less. I also wonder if its been doing it all along and I assumed it was the A/C draining (possible). UGH!
Old 11-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #4

Anyone experience this? Trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

Get on the roof and check the roof where it meets with the rear cap. Make sure its sealed. Look close for ANY cracks in seal.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
Anyone experience this? Trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks!
You have the same exact year/model DX3 I have. I can confirm the over flow drains right by the rear hitch if I over fill the tank. If that happens I always open the tank drain and let a few gallons out to make sure I'm not filled too full. Once I let those few gallons out, I cannot recall ever seeing any drips back there even if we return home with half a tank.

I'm guessing there may be an internal pipe in the tank that the overflow hooks to that extends to the bottom of the tank to prevent sloshing at the top of the tank causing some water to run out of the over flow. If so, maybe that pipe has become disconnected allowing sloshing to get into the overflow hose. Other possibility is there is a loop or kink in the overflow exterior hose that allows legitimate overflow to collect in that hose and it drips out a little at a time as it gets moved around in there as you drive. Or, there could be a crack in the top of the tank (or bad gasket on the tank fill fitting) that is allowing water to leak out when it sloshes, but I'm not sure that would run down near the hitch. Last, and least likely, is there is an internal pipe as discussed above, and the kink in the hose is causing a siphon effect where it is actually sucking water out of the tank. I remember folks talking about an anti-siphon valve somewhere in the plumbing system but I'm not sure that applies in this case.

Best I can offer, if you figure it out let us know what you find.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dx3, hitch, water