Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

DX3 Weird Light Behavior

Scenario: turn off all the lights and lock rig. A few hours later notice that the Entry Lights are ON. Unlock coach, turn Entry Lights OFF with Precision Plex push button, lock the rig. A few hours later, notice Entry Light back ON again.

Only happens with this one set of lights for Entry Lights.

Is there a timer set somewhere to turn them on like that? Looked at the manual and did not come across anything yet, but thought I would throw it out there to shorten troubleshooting time....
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I know that some OEM's do night lights like that, but we've never incorporated that idea since we have the app. That is weird.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

It seems there are only two configurations for the light via the Precision Plex: OFF and DIM. I will run it in both modes and observe if behavior changes any.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #4

You didn't show your year of rig or which one.

Anyway, the only time I have had this similar issue as you describe is when one of the cab doors on a 2018 DX3 did not get closed all the way.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

Rig: 2018 DX3 37RB

When working thru problems, it seems I learn the most about the things that it is NOT.

Update:

I have not had the rig plugged into Shore Power since bringing it home. I wanted to see if the Solar would keep batteries topped off. So, when I needed to do anything significant in the coach, I just powered up the generator. Gen also topped off the batteries too.

But, in doing some reading on the battery charging system the natural cycle is Bulk Charging - Absorption - Floating. In order to get to the Floating state requires a bit of time....more than I had generator on for...I noted I was never getting to Float. Solar can probably get the batteries there in longer summer days but not during winter. Shorter days, sun naturally is lower in the sky, and your physical location all impact amount of charging power available. Plugged into Shore yesterday and noted finally got to the Float state. Last night the Entry Lights stayed off.

So, at this time I would suspect it has something to do with the changes in the meter/monitoring of the batteries at the Bulk-Absorption boundary. Maybe a relay or switch sending a switch bounce/noise spike to the Precision Plex and the Entry Lights are the first circuitry it hits?

Anyway, new things I learned that I thought I'd share:

1. Cab Doors only affects the Freightliner "map lights".
2. Rig side entry door does not affect any lights.
3. Battery Disconnect by Driver seat only shuts off DC to Freightliner dash (makes sense but led to believe differently).
4. Battery Disconnect in battery compartment only shuts off DC to coach (not the Freightliner dash)
5. #4 is the only way to Reset the Precision Plex.

Tags
light