Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

dynamax 2019 isata 3 24fw Dinette Drawers

we were driving and both drawers under the dinette seats came flying out. Both sets of drawer slides have the plastic release levers broken now. Has anyone come up with a good way to fasten the drawers down so this will not happen again???

We will need to find out what drawer slide/rails are used to replace them and create a fasten down method so it will not happen again! thanks leonard
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

I have a 2017 I3, so I had to build the drawers myself. I never found a good latching mechanism, so I use wood shims they sell for builders to use on construction. I just slide one under each drawer until tight and remove them when we arrive. Don’t have any latching mechanisms other than the transit shims.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

See post #18 in this thread for slide mfg.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...age-155911.htm
Old 02-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #4

Shimming them is a good preventative medicine measure. Mine feel really secure but are empty at this point. And the link wouldn't work for me.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

On the large ones we have been using King Slides as they are rated higher and have a "dentent" built in to hold them closer. However, if the drawer is tweaked and the slide does not engage properly that detent may not work...or maybe they just broke at the rear holder.

What was in them?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer44 View Post
we were driving and both drawers under the dinette seats came flying out. Both sets of drawer slides have the plastic release levers broken now. Has anyone come up with a good way to fasten the drawers down so this will not happen again???

We will need to find out what drawer slide/rails are used to replace them and create a fasten down method so it will not happen again! thanks leonard
If you would, please take a picture of the drawer slide that is installed. I am curious to see what failed and see what brand it is.

I can tell by sight...if I can see the inside back 8" of the drawer guide (not the one that fastens to the drawer, but the one that is attached to the back wall).

The King Slide is rated for 100lbs, soft close and "self latching". They are fairly hard to open.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

I can not get my pictures to go. It asks for my URL and I do not know what to put in there. Looks like it is a king slide 1809. The front lower slide rail is slightly flared open, but the plastic release mechanisms are intact! No idea where the little pieces of plastic came from. We also found at least 2 small black screws that look like they should have gone into the drawer slides sides. The slide frames have very few screws mounting them and one is really loose!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Likely, the back socket broke. that is the weak link. Those are the correct drawers guides and they do flair at the ends by design. Did you have anything in those drawers?

IF you click on "go advanced", under "additional options" there is a spot to "Manage Attachments" that way you don't need a url.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #9

The drawer under the stove on our isata 3 comes flying open too, but only on windy mountain roads, maybe the weight of the silverware creates enough centrifugal force to cause drawer to open, otherwise it works perfectly.
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Drawer Travel Latches

What I did several years ago. Parts from Ace Hardware - pot knobs, as I remember. Turn to hold drawers while traveling; turn 90 degrees while parked. Never had a drawer come open while traveling since installing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	LittleDrawers1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	197279

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8190103.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	197280
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #11

Yes the drawers have clothing in them. Nothing heavy other than shirts socks. They did not come out when the drawers were empty during our maiden run. I have placed a temporary fastener on the flat belt like handles, but am not happy with it and looking for something far better than my repair. Sure makes you wish you had all the tools from back home some times!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #12

I think that is exactly what happens! We were not going around any emergency turns or any thing like that. No sharp turns, and WHAM!!! "WHAT THE HE_L WAS THAT?"
Old 02-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I have a 2017 I3, so I had to build the drawers myself. I never found a good latching mechanism, so I use wood shims they sell for builders to use on construction. I just slide one under each drawer until tight and remove them when we arrive. Don’t have any latching mechanisms other than the transit shims.
Do you have any photos of the drawers you built. I was planning on doing the same and would like to see how you did yours.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #14

I had posted a link earlier in this thread, but I see it’s not working. Let me try it again.

You can order the slides on Amazon and get the wood at Home Depot. They have 1/2” Poplar already cut to size. Used some birch plywood also already cut close to size. Easy project. Hardest part was adding more blocking in the seat openings to support the rails and fishing around the seat belt mounts.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-155911.html
Old 02-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #15

Just click the paper-clip icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Likely, the back socket broke. that is the weak link. Those are the correct drawers guides and they do flair at the ends by design. Did you have anything in those drawers?

IF you click on "go advanced", under "additional options" there is a spot to "Manage Attachments" that way you don't need a url.
Just click the paper clip icon to attach photos. Much easier.

It's on the top row of the editor, right next to the smiley.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman55 View Post
I had posted a link earlier in this thread, but I see it’s not working. Let me try it again.

You can order the slides on Amazon and get the wood at Home Depot. They have 1/2” Poplar already cut to size. Used some birch plywood also already cut close to size. Easy project. Hardest part was adding more blocking in the seat openings to support the rails and fishing around the seat belt mounts.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-155911.html
Milkman, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for before I proceed with the project. One question, in the last photo I'm assuming that is the child safety lock, but I can't really tell where you mounted it.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #17

The lock didn’t work as intended and I removed it. I just use the wood shims referenced earlier in this thread while we are moving and no lock at all while we are camping.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Traveling Two

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr911 View Post
Milkman, thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for before I proceed with the project. One question, in the last photo I'm assuming that is the child safety lock, but I can't really tell where you mounted it.
Put a strap with a snap end on top of drawer. That is what the manufacturer of our trailer did.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #19
Isata-3 FW

Eye bolts and bungie cords.

We used Eye bolts and bungie cords in our Isata 3 fw. Works great but I need to find some more astheticly pleasing bungies.
Jack McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
hhl

Installed magnetic catch. Left the catch plate a little loose not tighten flush to back of drawer front to get optional grip when engaged. Thus far we have no more problems with drawers.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190224-114951_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	197495
hhl is offline   Reply With Quote