Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #1

Dynamax rev 24Rb winter storage: cover and plug in?

RV newbie questions: We are purchasing a Dynamax rev 24 Rb and don’t have a covered space. We live outside the Phila PA area and have to store the RV in a rented spot for the winter. 1) Is there an RV cover that anyone recommends that is waterproof and reliable?, 2) Should the RV be plugged into an electrical source for the winter? The dealer said to just start it once a week and not plug in. Any thoughts or sage recommendations?
pamcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamcrna View Post
RV newbie questions: We are purchasing a Dynamax rev 24 Rb and don’t have a covered space. We live outside the Phila PA area and have to store the RV in a rented spot for the winter. 1) Is there an RV cover that anyone recommends that is waterproof and reliable?, 2) Should the RV be plugged into an electrical source for the winter? The dealer said to just start it once a week and not plug in. Any thoughts or sage recommendations?
We have an Isata 3rw and it’s small enough that I sold our second car and drive it when the DW has the primary car. Works out great and keeps the RV from having to sit too much.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:

Have you considered the logistics of putting a cover on it? It can be difficult.

Better to actually drive it every few weeks. Just starting it may not do much good unless you let it run for a good while. Driving is better for the engine, chassis and tires.

Is it winterized?

Which dealer?

I keep my REV plugged in most of the time and I also try to drive it at least once a week. I am in Delaware County.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

Yes it is winterized. We have to bring it in for service towards the end of Jan since there are a few probs with recall of water heater, generator and windows and since it is has an extended warranty we will get issues addressed. Dylan’s in NJ is the dealer that originally sold the RV.
So far it looks like starting it and driving it periodically are the popular recommendation.
Our concern is snow on the roof and if not a full cover, maybe a cover for the roof is something we can explore.
Btw, we are in DELCO as well.
pamcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Yes it is winterized. We have to bring it in for service towards the end of Jan since there are a few probs with recall of water heater, generator and windows and since it is has an extended warranty we will get issues addressed. Dylan’s in NJ is the dealer that originally sold the RV.
So far it looks like starting it and driving it periodically are the popular recommendation.
Our concern is snow on the roof and if not a full cover, maybe a cover for the roof is something we can explore.
Btw, we are in DELCO as well.
I should have noticed you are from Havertown. I am in Middletown.

Covering is supposed to be good but I don’t cover mine since I use year round. I bought mine at Dylan’s. I suspect you have an earlier version.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #6

If you are worried about the weight of the snow on the roof it is probably not an issue if you have a fiberglass roof.

If you are worried about leaks you should confirm that your roof caulk is in good condition. I am guessing you already know that.

My only concern about snow on the roof is when I am driving and state law says the roof should be clear of snow.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #7

"The dealer said to just start it once a week and not plug in."

The dealer is setting you up for an engine rebuild and battery replacement.

A cold start and not operating the vehicle is a sure way to add maint expenses to any vehicle.

The installed batt charger is a modern one and should keep all the batts 100% with no overcharging.

We operate our Isata MB once a month for an hours drive 50-60 miles.Always plugged in when parked.

A dealer visit to repair items in the dead of winter may be expensive as the fresh water system and waste tanks will be winterized and the tanks empty.

This will have to be re done at the end of the service.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Radrover

I had my roof sprayed on with that lifetime coating. Everything is sealed, never have to wash it, no caulking anywhere and I had my new solar panels installed at the same time so I'll never get leaks . It cost me 3,000 for my REV ,no worries and not having to climb up there 2 times a year to clean it is worth it to me. When your coach leaks, it's always a nightmare. Lifetime transferrable guarantee and its a2.5 day job. I have the company details if needed. Just got to look for it. Covering the rv brings up other issues and its work . I quit working.
Dennispelaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #9

I have a 2017 Georgetown 32L5.

It is in covered storage.

It is winterized.

It is not plugged in.

The battery disconnect is set to "disconnected."

The frig is left "ON" but it doesn't operate until I set the battery disconnect to "connected."

I take it for a "walk" every 2-3 weeks.

1. Connect the battery (the frig auto-starts on propane)
2. Start the generator (the frig switches to electric)
3. Start the heater
4. Start the engine
5. Drive 10-15 miles
6. Park in storage
7. Shut off engine
8. Shut off generator (frig switches to propane)
9. Heater continues to operate
10. Disconnect the battery (frig and heater shut off)

Everything is exercised except the AC, water pump, and water heater.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #10

Rikk

Quote:
Hello fellow REV owner!
I have the same vehicle and I keep it in a private storage area and it's not covered.
As long as you visit it, take it for a ride, makes sure it's winterized you should not have a problem. I also do not keep it plugged in. I'm a new owner as well (Oct '17)and sometimes you have to trust your instincts. Good luck!
Rikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

RV storage during winter

While we don't have a real winter in this area of Vancouver island, I do store my 2015 REV24tb. I have it covered with an approved breathable cover and well tethered all round due to wind. I start the engine and run it for 10 mins once a month, keep 4 dehumifier hanging units inside, start the generator and run for 15 mins. House batteries are fully charged and engine battery fine. I don't go on camping trips between November and March. cheers
fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage, winter