Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Dynamax Rev Vinyl Decals - Frustrated

Beginning of July we were headed out on a camping trip. First day out one of the side windows right behind the drivers seat exploded as we went down the expressway. That was bad enough. As the glass fell out of the window it put gouges in the gel coat and vinyl decals on the side of our motor home. We covered the screen with a garbage bag and reinstalled in the window and then taped the outside and inside to seal the window. We kept going. We ended cutting our trip short and returning to Florida.

The insurance adjuster came and looked at it and did an appraisal. Beginning of August took it to our dealer for repair. We were told the decals would be easy the window might take some time. THREE MONTHS LATER, the window is in, the side of the motor home has been repaired but we are still waiting for the decals. Dynamax does not produce their own decals, they farm them out to a supplier. After the supplier missed several ship dates they sent 5 of the 12 needed and billed for all 12 of them. The dealer called the supplier to find out when the balance would arrive. Two weeks later they sent the balance of the decals. The dealer went to install them and they had tiny wrinkles in them. Installed one and the wrinkles did not come out. The dealer called the supplier, after a week the supplier has not called back. However, the dealer noticed that the tiny wrinkles on the decals that have been installed have disappeared.

If you have managed to make it this far, my first question is, will these decals be a problem in the future? The warm Florida sun has taken the tiny wrinkles out, but over time will they come back? Attached is what the decal looks like. This is the backing, but what you see on the backing shows up in the decal when installed. My second question what could I have done to speed this process up? I have been on the phone with the dealer making sure they are working on the problem and not putting it on the back burner. I have also called factory service rep of Dynamax - east and explained the situation. He did not offer any help, did not suggest I call someone else at Dynamax that would be better able to help, and even though in two separate phone calls I ask him to look into it and call me back, he never called back.

If you have made it this far, thank you for listening. As a newbie to motor homes any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Oh my goodness. That's terrible. There's something about the wind affecting that drivers side window that opens ours unexpectedly as we go down the road, but thankfully it's never exploded. Glad no one was hurt.

As for the decals, I would think that once the decals evened out, the wrinkles wouldn't come back.... but who knows.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

You are right. I was remiss in not mentioning know one was hurt. Our grandson was sitting on the couch when it happened. Glass all fell outside, not inside. Thank goodness. Also the insurance is covering everything under comprehensive. It is just taking so long to repair. We wanted to head north and go leaf peeping but did not want to take it from the dealer until complete. I was afraid out of sight out of mind for the dealer.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

The decals should be "bubble release" or "Airx-Scape" or air release, like car wraps, some sort of permeable material. So you should be fine.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Actually, not just Dynamax, but just about every OEM under the sun, buys their graphics from a graphics supplier. The reason I think these are a little tougher to find is that we primarily use full body paint...so the volume on a graphics unit is very low and thus they likely have to make the parts each time this comes up.

Personally, I would take the unit on my trip, use it and then let the dealer put them on when they come in. I know you may not want to be "out of sight out of mind", but to hold up trips and add frustration for a vinyl decal that does not affect the use of the vehicle...I'm not sure I would do that.

Would almost have been better to buy a complete set...I thought maybe we stocked a full set here for a time, just in case.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Hum? Well we have a 2018 Dynamax and I am pretty sure there are no decals, full body paint. I often wondered if anything happened how do you get it back to the artist that did the work?
tdemeyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

In hind sight we probably should have gone. But isn't three months wait for vinyl decals a little bit out of the ordinary. If the decal supplier had said it would be 3 months I would understand. But they gave delivery dates that they did not met and that is why I am so frustrated. I don't like it when someone says they are going to do something and then they don't do it. Then they sent 5 of 12. Two weeks later they sent the balance. What is your opinion about the tiny wrinkles in the vinyl decals? Is this something that normally happens and if they disappear in the warm Florida sun, will they come back? Are these wrinkles something that is normal?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #8

Trying to post picture

I noticed the picture of the decals I tried to insert with the original post did not make it. Trying to do it again here. The tiny wrinkles are in the backing and the decal as well. Will these work themselves out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_122451.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	190773  
Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Wrinkles in the backing do not affect the decal. Sometimes that can happen just because the way the decal is rolled. The carrier sheet is on the inside of the roll so it bunches up. If the backing sheet was applied by hand it can also look a bit rough. As long as the decal is applied by someone with some experience it will be fine.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchap View Post
In hind sight we probably should have gone. But isn't three months wait for vinyl decals a little bit out of the ordinary. If the decal supplier had said it would be 3 months I would understand. But they gave delivery dates that they did not met and that is why I am so frustrated. I don't like it when someone says they are going to do something and then they don't do it. Then they sent 5 of 12. Two weeks later they sent the balance. What is your opinion about the tiny wrinkles in the vinyl decals? Is this something that normally happens and if they disappear in the warm Florida sun, will they come back? Are these wrinkles something that is normal?
Yes, three months is a long time to wait, but I never really believe everything I hear either. Without looking into it, I don't know the whole story. Often times we get a dealer say our "Dynamax was late, or Dynamax said it will be 8 weeks"...and when I look into it, nothing was ever even ordered or it was ordered wrong. Not saying that was the case, but that I tend to take everything with a grain if salt, even from my people.

The wrinkles are on the backer as said by others...the vinyl when applied will squeegee flat.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Site Team

X2 what GoUK said. The backing can be completely wrinkled and bubbled, but once the vinyl is applied the applicators should make sure all the wrinkles and bubbles are worked out.

Having said that, Once the wrinkles/bubbles are gone and the adhesive is stuck to the substrate, they shouldn't come back.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #12

As I represent a decal/graphics manufacturer, it should not take more than three weeks to provide the decals. The company being used for them doesn't take the order seriously enough to put it into the schedule. We don't have minimums and the longest any of my customers has had to wait is three weeks.

The wrinkles will not affect the decal function. More importantly the application needs to be free of air bubbles which could lead to a malfunction of the adhesive.

Good luck.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

Brian, I agree with you 100%, I only have one side of the story. That is why I reached out to the Dynamax Factory Service Rep from the east to check into the decals so I would have both sides of the story. Twice, he never called me back. If he was the wrong person to call, he did not even suggest I call someone else.

Did you see the picture I posted of the wrinkle in the backing of the decals that were sent? Those wrinkles show up in the decal when applied to the motor home. In the warm florida sun will they go away and the decals will be okay. The dealer I am working with said they have never seen this before.

Thank you for your time, I know you are a very busy person!
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Service rep would be Brian Meeks for the east...but the parts rep is CJ, so who did you call? That way I can check call logs.

Wrinkles should not be an issue.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #15

I called Brian Meeks. He did not tell me to call the parts person. I did not call parts because I had talked with Brian before and he has always been very helpful and upfront and I was frustrated and wanted to know what was going on with the decals. I wish I had kept records of everything, then I would have the date of the call.

Thank you for letting me know the wrinkles will not be a problem. My dealer didn't seem to know if they would be a problem or not. Have not been real happy with this dealer.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #16

Looked thru my phone records. I called Brian on October 3rd and September 28th and September 27th. I am not trying to throw Brian Meeks under the bus. In prior dealings with him he was knowledgeable and very helpful even when I did not like the answer he was giving me. At least I had an answer.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #17

We got our "baby" back on Friday. Looking good. I want to say thank you all for your input. The decals did turn out good. I am surprised my dealer did not know the decals would work even with the wrinkles from the way the decals were rolled. Dealer fixed the window on our door. The window slid down. They took it out and reinstalled it. Now cleaning her up and getting ready for the next trip! We are happy campers again!!