Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Dynaquest XL Kenwood Dash Cam Model?

Does anyone know which model Kenwood® Front DVR Camera with Forward Collision and Departure Delay Alerts Dynamax installs in the Dynaquest XL?

I'm tying to find a demo or specifications on this system but need the model number which is not defined in the Dynamax RV brochure.

Also, if you have this option, how well does it work?

I recently did a test drive in a Dynaquest XL 37RB but did not try the system, and the visibility of the Kenwood video was not great while moving. I have an Isata 5 and the video is very easy to see since they installed it over the original Dodge Truck cab rear view mirror so it's very natural to look in the rear view mirror to watch the rear (or side) camera video while driving.

Thanks in advance.
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

The camera is DRV-N520.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

It’s a nice dash cam and really nicely powered by and integrated to the head unit. Even though the recordings and SD card occur on the camera itself, it is fully dependent on a compatible Kenwood head unit to function.

In terms of the factory placement of the camera on the lower rather than upper part of the windshield, I think visibility is just fine given the way the hood rapidly slopes off and that the truck is already sitting so high to begin with. At its lower location it is still within reach, is out of the way and still has a good recording angle.

Finally, the lane departure warning and collision alert system work but I opted to turn them off. I found that my favoring the left most part of the lane would cause it to frequently beep at me. The collision warning system is also not very advanced. Having owned a self driving vehicle I decided that the Kenwood tech was so inferior that it wasn’t worth using because of the frequent false positives. However, I think as a dash Cam, it is very nice.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I have experience with developing real-time video detection systems in the homeland security industry and speculated this solution may have some limited functionality given the dynamic environment.

While video analytics and detection algorithms have greatly improved in the past 20 years, consumer grade products still have a long way to go to reduce probability of false positives or sensor refinements to adapt to the dynamic conditions to minimize false alarms and/or false negatives (e.g non-detect) so it's not surprising to me to hear you (and others) have disabled these features.

You see some of this playing out with the shift to autonomous cars and accidents showing the technology (while promising) still has a way to go to reduce the risk of accidents or mishaps. One thing for sure, the human intelligence, sensory and control systems are remarkable and while we are making great strides in developing systems including artificial intelligence and integrated systems of systems, we are nowhere near achieving what our human architect, designer and ultimate engineer achieved...

For this system, I'll be happy if it can clearly provide a record of events that frustrate all of us each day with less than considerate drivers putting our safety at risk by ignorant, rude and obnoxious behavior operating vehicles on our roads with complete disregard for the safety of others and themselves. We have to be extremely defensive to reduce the probability of collisions and accidents caused by these type of people. If we are unable to mitigate an event, then at least we can have irrefutable evidence of their behavior and root cause of the accident and not a he said she said episode as we plead our case to our respective insurance companies and perhaps in court.

Safe travels.
Cheers,
2019 Jeep Wrangler
USN Veteran (USS Saipan, VAQ-34)
BellaBee is offline   Reply With Quote