Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Electrical Bug on DX3

I’ve got a 2019 DX3 RB. Four electrical outlets not working: one in rear bathroom and 3 in wardrobe closet (rear tv, DVD player under tv, and one adjacent to tv in hang up closet). All labeled GFI. I have reset the GFI circuit breaker and the one that senses a ground fault. All other outlets and GFI recepticals work.

I suspect something broke/disconnected(?) in that daisy-chained circuit.

Brian: Can I get a schematic of the electrical connections for the 2019 DX3 RB? I am going to troubleshoot it later today but would like to study the connection point first.
hitchn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Well, that doesn't make complete sense in that the ones in the wardrobe would be in the slide...so maybe something came loose in the slide out cable, but the one in the bathroom would not be connected to that same circuit. I'll see what I can find.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Commercial Member

OK, so what engineering (who spoke with the line) told me, is to check the outlets on either side of the bed. If those are good, then you are good, ll the way to the j-box under the bed.

Then that line, jumps over to another J-box that is under a false panel in the lav base. If you remove the floor of that panel, there is a J-box that feeds the lav outlet and then goes on to fed the slide out circuits.

If it is just those back ones...then there might be an issue inside that J-box. My official recommendation is to take it to a dealer for service, as 110V is not for everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D02120038_REV1 DLCXL_37RB 120V Electrical Layout.pdf (322.6 KB, 109 views)

Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick response Brian. I will check it out later today. I have experience in electrical matters, so I will let you know what I find. Just good to know where to look!

Again, thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

Problem found in j-box under the bed. The red twist-on wire connector for the hot-lead bundle was compromised and the hot-lead wires were shorting to the ground wire bundle.

Possible cause: The stripped end of the wires to be connected together were not all straight enough before putting on the red twist-on connector. A crooked-tipped wire penetrated the internal metal coil (that holds wires together) and subsequently penetrated the outer insulation during installation making contact with ground...but that is just one theory.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post
Problem found in j-box under the bed. The red twist-on wire connector for the hot-lead bundle was compromised and the hot-lead wires were shorting to the ground wire bundle.

Possible cause: The stripped end of the wires to be connected together were not all straight enough before putting on the red twist-on connector. A crooked-tipped wire penetrated the internal metal coil (that holds wires together) and subsequently penetrated the outer insulation during installation making contact with ground...but that is just one theory.
Glad at least we were able to send you in the right direction and save a 3 week dealer visit I'll have to get some hats on order for times like this.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch2go View Post

Wire nuts and crimp connectors are great for home wiring where the home is not subjected to the turbulence of RV life. I have built many wiring harnesses (12V DC), and always solder the wires together and cover with thick shrink tube and have never had a failure even on a dirt bike which sees more abuse than an RV.

First steps with any RV I buy is to hunt down all wire nuts and crimp connectors and solder all connections. I also replace all the push wire 110 V outlets in with residential screw type outlets and use thread lock on the screw threads.

IMHO wire nuts and crimp connectors are a failure point waiting to happen.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythplaced View Post
Wire nuts and crimp connectors are great for home wiring where the home is not subjected to the turbulence of RV life. I have built many wiring harnesses (12V DC), and always solder the wires together and cover with thick shrink tube and have never had a failure even on a dirt bike which sees more abuse than an RV.

First steps with any RV I buy is to hunt down all wire nuts and crimp connectors and solder all connections. I also replace all the push wire 110 V outlets in with residential screw type outlets and use thread lock on the screw threads.

IMHO wire nuts and crimp connectors are a failure point waiting to happen.

12V I can see.....but does anyone solder 110v wires? Not sure how else you would wire a J-box for 110V.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #9

What was strange is that never pulled enough current to trip a breaker.

But, I need to go back and revisit my intermittent Entry Light problem where they just come on randomly. I know that is DC output of Precision Plex, but I know grounding issues can cause strange happenings...
Old 02-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

I have just recently started using these for 110v wiring in medical grade cabinetry that I install. They are faster to install AND they prevent having a wire "get away" from a bundle. Also, it is visually easier to trace circuits during trouble shooting. They are called WAGO connectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wago-Lever-Nuts-.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	196886  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #11
Commercial Member

We use those.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
12V I can see.....but does anyone solder 110v wires? Not sure how else you would wire a J-box for 110V.
Not uncommon to find soldered wires in older homes built in the late 50's. When I did some rewiring in my home (built in 59) every junction I encountered was soldered and wrapped in tape and what do I do ? Wire nuts and electrical tape.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #13

Those wago nuts are where it's at. Little pricey but man are they slick

Tags
electric, electrical