Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #1

Electrical Storage Help

Well, I thought I was going to leave my 2018 DX3 on my lot in AZ plugged in for the winter, but I sold the lot. So now it looks like it will be in storage for a couple months without any electrical plug in available. After about 3 days the house batteries were below 12 volts; the generator did start and I let it run for an hour to charge them back up. I have everything turned off but I know there is a lot of parasitic drain on the batteries from “stuff”.

What do I have to do to disconnect the batteries from the coach but still leave the solar panels charging? (I already had the chassis batteries turned off.) We still have a lot of sunshine in the SW, do you think this will be sufficient to keep the house batteries charged?

Worse comes to worse, I guess I could set the generator to auto start when batteries get to 11-12 volts and run for an hour. Do you think this would be ok?In a couple months I’ll be able to put the rig in a covered storage with a 10 amp hook up.

Thanks for the help.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

Not an expert and I keep mine plugged in all the time here in my drive way, but you would think that with all 12v stuff off, that the batteries would stay charged for at least 3 days as you described, especially since the weather there is probably moderate, and the sun shines a lot, that the solar panels would keep the batteries up.

Was the inverter disabled? And is the solar unit working?

I am sure some one will chime in and be able to help more.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Solar appears to be working, inverter not disabled..how to?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

Stored mine for over a year just using the battery cutoffs without issue
Old 12-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

The inverter needs to be turned off. My inverter powers the fridge and a few other outlets. Even with 4 house batteries, the batteries won't last long. On my inverter there is a push button switch that turns off the inverter and of course all outlets connected to the inverter. Next you need to hit the battery disconnect which mechanically disconnects from all power drains. Your solar power should be ok to keep the batteries charged.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

I also pulled the plug. I noticed that with the coach battery switch OFF it was not really off. I went to the breaker panel in the bedroom and started throwing switches. Throw the breaker switches labeled Inverter, and anything else you see. The slide was in and no lights so I got on the floor with a flash light. I 'think' all is disconnected now. Don't know about the solar. It shouldn't make any difference if all is really disconnected.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
Solar appears to be working, inverter not disabled..how to?
If you have a Xantrex system like I do, you can disable the inverter on the panel on the wall. Your Xantrex manual will tell you how.

If you want to call me tomorrow, I will stand in front of mine and walk you thru how to disable and enable it. If I am not plugged into shore power for a few days, I always disable in fact mine is disabled now in case power goes out.Send me a PM and I will give you my phone
number. I would do it now, but it is snowing and temps are below freezing.
(cant wait to go to Florida)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

It's been covered elsewhere but when you throw the disconnect it doesn't cut off immediately. There's a relay somewhere that if it's been getting charge will wait like 15-30 min to disconnect. Can't remember the reasoning but I've tested and it eventually does cut everything off. If you're seeing stuff still on after disconnecting the cutoff this is most likely why.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #9

Thanks for all the helpful info. Joet19711, special thanks for your offer to walk me through this. I have found the batt disconnect and going through the menu on the Xantrex control panel turned off the inverter. I'll check again today and see what the voltage is; left the rig yesterday at 12.8. The solar control panel that I have doesn't match the picture in the owner's manual or the one depicted on the website. Looks more like the 10 amp system but mine clearly states 30 amp.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Commercial Member

If you have the Xantrex...whatever you do, don't push the red button. Disable the inverter through the settings....not the red button. that is a "stand by" button that shuts the whole thing down. Charging, 110V management, etc.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #11

bclemens said "Don't push the red button"..now he tells me..
Sounds like the line from a movie. Did push it, several times. Didn't seem to do anything. Finally found the setting in the on screen menu. No harm done, I hope? Or will this be my Chernobyl event
Old 12-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Commercial Member

as long as you don't push and hold...you're normally OK. Or if you do push and hold, maybe pull out the manual to figure out what the settings should be.

Normally what happens. Customer pushes red buttons. Disables inverter (along with everything else). Comes back in, pushes red button, does not hold long enough. Re-enables inverter through the menu, but 110V won't work, the unit doesn't charge, etc etc. I get a call that its broken. "we didn't touch anything, it just broke".

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #13

If you have not figured it out, my offer still stands, send me a PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #14

I hate that red button. Even when things lock up and you want to "reboot" so to speak it fails and just puts everything in standby

FWIW I've found best way get out of red button purgatory is to just go down to the xantrex and enable using the buttons on top of the unit. (Bring your flashlight!)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #15

Still reading the owner's manual. Doesn't appear that I did anything drastic to the system. When I turned off the batteries and the inverter yesterday the voltage was about 13.8, when I checked this afternoon it was 13.4. So I think I've got it semi figured out, at least enough to feel comfortable about leaving it for a week at a time without having the battery get completely discharged..
Thanks again to one and all. It's been a very interesting discussion.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:19 PM   #16

Question: I saw this statement in an RV Life magazine article regarding battery maintenance - "Note: Unlike automotive battery leads, the black wire is typically the positive lead of the house batteries in RVs and the white negative."

Is this correct? I guess I never paid attention before. If they are doing household type wiring then I guess it makes sense that hot is black and white is neutral. I thought all 12v DC wiring still followed the red/hot and black/ground standard.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, storage