Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Engine running hot 2018 DX3

Runs hot when idling. Just took it out for first trip this year to dewinterize etc, pull in to site, sitting there a few minutes checking if we want to move etc, engine temp is just under 200, not hot enough for fan to kick on, too hot to shut-off. This has happened before when it has been warmer outside and the fan has kicked on. Anybody else have this issue? Do we need to take it to freightliner? Does yours run hot?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

My first impression is that 200 does not sound too hot. But a phone call to a freightliner dealer or a cummins dealer is easier than driving to either.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
It's fine when we're moving, as soon as we stop and its idling, temp goes up. Stuck in traffic, goes over 200, fans kick on. Just wondering if this is what others experience. We've never had a super c before. DP never acted like this.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #4

Talk with the factory but high temps at idle points to clutch fan issues or shroud issues
Old 04-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #5

Thermostat maybe? Low coolant level?
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Why do you think 200 degrees is too hot? I would just shut it down myself. Or if you're going to idle for an extended period of time you could just raise the idle to 1000 RPM and that may keep it from getting up to 200 degrees, don't know if that would help you out.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Runs hot when idling. Just took it out for first trip this year to dewinterize etc, pull in to site, sitting there a few minutes checking if we want to move etc, engine temp is just under 200, not hot enough for fan to kick on, too hot to shut-off. This has happened before when it has been warmer outside and the fan has kicked on. Anybody else have this issue? Do we need to take it to freightliner? Does yours run hot?
As long as your fan comes on you have no problem. My motorcycle fan will come on at 216 when idling. it will bring the temp down to 206 and shut the fan of and repete the process. It will run on the highway all day at 186. Harleys will get as hot as 230.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
Why do you think 200 degrees is too hot? I would just shut it down myself. Or if you're going to idle for an extended period of time you could just raise the idle to 1000 RPM and that may keep it from getting up to 200 degrees, don't know if that would help you out.
I agree. When I first read the thread I didn't really think the numbers were bad. Im no mechanic by no means but the temps sounded ok.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #9

Doesn’t sound very hot to me. I’ll watch mine closer next time I’m on the road
You can get Cummins customer support on their website. Just get your engine number before you do. They will respond. I’d like to see the answer.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Casey & Carolyn

Don’t think the thermostat even starts to open until over 200. Fan doesn’t come on until 215. Fan temp started that high with EPA 2010
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #11

200 isn’t hot at all, you’re fine. Just shut it down.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

200 is not really that hot. If you need to idle for a period of time just turn on the cruise control and hit the set button. This will put the unit in "high idle". As long as fan cycles on off. You are good as stated before.

Happy camping
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Eat Pray Love

Hot Water Temp.

When the ambient temp is high (90's- 100F+) and we are traveling, especially up grades, our temp gauge will increase (over 210-225).The fan will come on and keep water temp in control. At first I thought there was a problem but there really wasn't. The temp never got high enough to get into any extreme over temp conditions. Something must go wrong. Assume that would be low radiator tank fluid, a broken fan belt or the electric radiator fan not coming on.
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #14

Fan doesn’t kick on til like 220 on mine. Usually cools it right down to 180 when it does kick on.

I can’t say idling what mine does, but driving in warmer weather definitely sees the fan kick on a lot more. Over 70 involves regular fan intervals in my experience.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #15

These new generation engines tend to run a lot hotter than what we saw in the past. Most Tstats don't open until above 195 degrees and sometimes more. Seeing 200 degrees sitting at an idle is OK and you will see 215 or more on a long pull. Do you have the manual engine fan on feature?
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #16

Did call Cummins today, they said normal operating temp is 180-200 so we are fine shutting down. They are also sending me more info in an email including trouble shooting with error codes etc. If anyone wants that I'll share

We ran it cross country last year in June from maryland up the mountains in wyoming with food, gear etc for 5 people and 2 dogs for almost 3 weeks plus towing, and it would get hot climbing hills, fan would come on, no worries. But when we just drove 40min, not towing, 2 people on board, not summer and its about 200 idling were concerned. But it does always get hot idling in traffic in the summer. Guess its all normal.

Like i said, first Super C, learning whats safe for our baby. And love this forum, could already relax a bit after all your suggestions. Help and advice is only a few keystrokes away. Thanks all

Oh, and we we had just arrived, (and engine still idling-200, hubby wouldn't turn off) AND the 1st set of admirers pulled up, not even 5 minutes
Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #17

Pulling through a new campground where everyone outside stops and watches you drive by always puts a smile on my face
Old 04-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Did call Cummins today, they said normal operating temp is 180-200 so we are fine shutting down. They are also sending me more info in an email including trouble shooting with error codes etc. If anyone wants that I'll share

We ran it cross country last year in June from maryland up the mountains in wyoming with food, gear etc for 5 people and 2 dogs for almost 3 weeks plus towing, and it would get hot climbing hills, fan would come on, no worries. But when we just drove 40min, not towing, 2 people on board, not summer and its about 200 idling were concerned. But it does always get hot idling in traffic in the summer. Guess its all normal.

Like i said, first Super C, learning whats safe for our baby. And love this forum, could already relax a bit after all your suggestions. Help and advice is only a few keystrokes away. Thanks all

Oh, and we we had just arrived, (and engine still idling-200, hubby wouldn't turn off) AND the 1st set of admirers pulled up, not even 5 minutes
Would love to have the list of error codes, much easier than calling sometimes. Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #19

So they sent me this link to register on "Quickserve"
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/...ion_plans.html
You enter your engine serial number and it gives you info for your specific engine. Let me know what you think, some of it seemed too basic