Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #1

Extended warranty?

Wondering what anyone's thoughts are about an extended warranty offered by Good Sam Club. Good idea or waste of money?
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #2

answers will vary greatly and be just someone's own personal opinion. I would say no to any aftermarket second party warranty. to bad FR does not still offer the extended warranty.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #3

I bought it. Good Sam. Not an extended warranty guy on anything else. Figured with the big investment, might as well go all in.
jljj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #4

We bought one for a used coach a few years back and that policy replaced the fridge twice (each one was thousands of dollars), a new toilet, a new fuel pump, a jack was replaced and some other expensive repairs so that it more than paid for the cost of the warranty.

We had good luck with a company called Xtra Ride and it was their Platinum policy. Plus it was transferable and refundable so when we sold the M.H. after a couple of years they owed us money.

But with a 2 year warranty on a new unit I would wait the two years.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 AM   #5

Extended warranty's are insurance great if you need them a waste of money if you do not.

We have owned five campers for us they would have been a waste a money.

As far as to Good Sam's hopefully someone can tell you if it has worked for them.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #6

I can’t bring myself to do it. Ours just expired so officially running bare. Will see if I regret it. I could see doing so on a 10 year old coach for sure. But for the 4-6k I’ve been quoted for years 2-7 with a high deductible I just have trouble visualizing what repairs will make it worthwhile.

Now bear in mind I’ll probably end up doing all my own work because I don’t like other people (outside of Dynamax) touching my stuff. Labor charges could certainly sway the numbers.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

I don't like extended warranties. After many years in the aftermarket repair business and dealing with warranty company's I've not seen them pay off. They know what breaks and what doesn't and there exclusions generally keep them from paying. Put the money in the bank and self insure. In my "opinion" you'll be better off in the long run. That said, do what gives you peace of mind. In the end that's what's important.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty