Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #1

Figured out why Isata 5 awnings don't close

I jacked with this awning for hours trying to figure out why it's not closing all the way with the bumpers not hitting. This topic has been talked about with no fixes that I am aware of.

Number one, there is no fix.

I thought it was because the screws holding the canvas were the problem so I ground them off.

I thought it was because my arms were not parallel, so I went from below parallel to level, to above parallel. Nothing.

Then I finally realized the middle canvas support arm, you know that rectangular tube that comes in and out with the arms supporting the center of the canvas is why the arms don't close. Because when they close it is hitting the canvas rail. Why? Easy, the mounting plates are installed all the way to the top hitting the gutter rail, these brackets should be installed appx an inch lower under the gutter. If they were that center support arm would go under the awning and gutter rail area which would allow the arms to snug up against the wall.

So unless you want to move your mounting plates down an inch and have a bunch of holes in the wall, your stuck like I am with it not closing all the way. It does work better after I tweaked the arms to parallel.

The only thing I didn't do was attempt to raise the pitch (less pitch) as maybe that would create an opening for the rectangular support bar to go flat against the wall. I took some pics, but no worth putting them here if you guys have messed with the awning, you probably know what parts I am referring to.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Would like some pics if it is something I can show the guys here.

If you look at page two of the "Installation manual" they SHOW the mounting plate, right up against the awning rail. Maybe that is an error on their part?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

I too have been adjusting my awning much of yesterday. I have it now so that about every third time it will close. I took all four screws out of the fabric thinking maybe the fabric was out of square and causing a bind. That didn't seem to do much. I have a lot of wrinkling on the front edge as the awning rolls up. Pulling and tugging seems to have little effect. I think I remember that it should be mounted up against the awning rail but I couldn't find it in the manual. There is a drawing in the installation manual shown it mounted up tight against the rail. I did see this though: For dual stage awnings: The bottom of the awning rail should be a minimum of 7.5" above a door opening or slide out (whichever is higher).

Mine is mounted tight against the porch light and the bottom of the arm hits the porch light when closing. But I don't think that is the issue about not closing. I think it is something slightly out of whack or possibly the gas spring is too long or failing?

Just spit balling here. My dealer has worked on mine about three (maybe more) times and replaced the front arm and still no joy.

I have posted photos on another thread on here.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #4

if your hitting the porch light, it's just that the arms probably need to be adjusted a little closer to parallel. Mine was hitting the porch light also. So the only issue with my proposed fix of lowering the mounting plates is that the porch light would be in the way then.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

If you look at page two of the "Installation manual" they SHOW the mounting plate, right up against the awning rail. Maybe that is an error on their part?
You are probably correct about the plate mounts, plus as I told Casey, if the plates were lowered the porch light would have to lowered also because the arms would be in front of it and would not close. That rectangular canvas support beam sits on some high "studs", if those studs were shorter the rectangular beam may slide right under the gutter rail and allow the awning to snug up to the coach wall. All a bunch of if's. No way to know without experimenting.

When I have a chance I can take some pics.

I may change the pitch to see if that would help, as it comes from the factory with a fairly steep pitch (the pitch screws are at the far end of adjustment). A flatter pitch may allow the beam to snug up, maybe. Though I like the steep pitch you guys send it out with as it seems to provide more shade.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #6

I have my arms parallel, the solution for the porch light is to mount it an inch or two lower. Maybe Carefee has a solution, have you called them?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 08-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

Not yet, unfortunately I have a full workload this week, and not much time to get on the phone. But I may try to call.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

BC, what’s the warranty on our awnings, one year?
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Commercial Member

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/s...anty-home.html

One year

Old 08-27-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Update

Talked with Carefree, they want me to send pic/video of the operation. She understood what I was explaining and first wants me to try and adjust the pitch as I thought it may be too steep, she agreed. There is not much else to do, and she also said the mounting plate is shown to go right up to the gutter rail.

I will try to video and adjust pitch to see if that helps. I told her from the factory the pitch is about as steep as it can get since the adjuster screws are all the way out almost.

Will follow up.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
BC, what’s the warranty on our awnings, one year?
That's not part of the two year warranty?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
Commercial Member

No appliances are part of the two year warranty. Just like a house, most equipment/appliances have their own warranty. Some are longer (like the chassis which is automotive) some are shorter, like TV's and apparently the awning. Some OEM's will match our 2 year, but it has always been that the two year warranty is on the Dynamax portion.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #13

A tad off topic from the original post, BUT my experience with Carefree last month was exceptional. My gearbox was broken, they asked for my in-service date and the serial number from my awning. After I gave it to him he knew I was no longer in warranty and simply didn't care. He shipped me a brand new gearbox for no charge. I even bought a spare one just to have and he sold that to me at cost and didn't charge me shipping.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #14

Self retract awning not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
A tad off topic from the original post, BUT my experience with Carefree last month was exceptional. My gearbox was broken, they asked for my in-service date and the serial number from my awning. After I gave it to him he knew I was no longer in warranty and simply didn't care. He shipped me a brand new gearbox for no charge. I even bought a spare one just to have and he sold that to me at cost and didn't charge me shipping.
The awning on my 5r is opening and retracting as designed. The self retract used to work which I verified once or twice by sharply moving the extended awning. That feature no longer works though I don't leave the awning extended even overnight while camping. Does anyone know if this is something that can be self fixed or is it a PC board/electrical issue?
Thanks
DB
dbaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #15

Also wondering if or how the angle of the extended awning can be adjusted?
dbaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaction View Post
Also wondering if or how the angle of the extended awning can be adjusted?
Look in your Carefree manual. There are two adjustments both easy to do. One is for rain pitch and the other is to make the awning close tight. Need an allen wrench and a ladder.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaction View Post
The awning on my 5r is opening and retracting as designed. The self retract used to work which I verified once or twice by sharply moving the extended awning. That feature no longer works though I don't leave the awning extended even overnight while camping. Does anyone know if this is something that can be self fixed or is it a PC board/electrical issue?
Thanks
DB
I have to shake the heck out of mine for it to auto close.

I did finally jack with the awning enough to where the rubber bumpers on the arms are touching the coach, and the outer bumpers on the main ends are only about a 1/4" away from the mounting plate. I am fairly happy as when I crawl up and push on the unit towards the coach it has no play, it's tight. That was my goal.

It was a combo of things of changing pitch a little, leveling the entire unit, and then tweaking the arms to parallel (we are talking a 1/4" turn of the adjusters at a time).
Old 12-01-2021, 12:41 PM   #18

Awning resting on porch light

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
I have my arms parallel, the solution for the porch light is to mount it an inch or two lower. Maybe Carefee has a solution, have you called them?
After searching many threads, this one seems to be on track for our similar awning - porch light issue.

Our forward awning arm rests on top of the porch light - even after adjusting the pitch. Has anyone moved the porch light downward to allow clearance?
suprajayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #19

Awning arm broke porch light

After adjusting/ observing the awning for some time yesterday - there are few observations / / issues that hope someone can help.

1. Pitch adjusted to max parallel to ground to get arms in most upward / parallel position.

2. The most forward awning knuckle (part that is bolted to the coach wall) has more flex than the rear allowing the center sliding rail to droop when the awning is ~ 1-2 ft from full closing.

3.Had to push up the center sliding rail (the most forward section) to have it tuck into the arms upon closing otherwise it drooped down and didn't allow the arms to collapse together. Extension Arms rest directly on top of porch light - which is now cracked.

Found another porch light that *might* be lower profile allowing the arm to full close.
HTML Code:
https://leisurervparts.com/led-rv-exterior-13-awning-porch-light-no-switch-12-volt/
I'm now trying to get ahold of Carefree of Colorado for help (maybe new knuckle allowing less flex), but the porch light is completing impeding the full closure of the awning arms.

Appreciate if anyone who does not have this problem can measure from the bottom of the porch light to the top of the entry door outer frame to see if there was a running change to the light location. Ours is 6 5/8".

Pics and video..
Thanks - Jay in AZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2841.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	267207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2838.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	267208