Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 AM   #1

Filling Propane in ISata 4

Every time I go to fill my propane, the alarm goes off and there’s is a smell in the RV that will obviously go away after opening windows etc. the way they have the valve to allow them to know when it isn’t full simply allows the propane to rise into RV. It’s really a bad set up. Also, the gauge inside said there was half left, only took 1gallon, last time it onl6 took 3. I have no idea what is going on. The guy who filled it up said there may be a problem with the float in the propane tank that isn’t sticking, that won’t allow it to fill. Is there a really gauge on the tank itself to see what isn’t the actual level? Possibly underneath. For those who don’t have an ISata 4 the tank is not exposed it has a little slot to fill tank, not a good design...very frustrated. Anyone who has any ideas please let me know.
FrancoIKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #2

Horrible design...
So much so, I could not even find a place to fill mine.
Everywhere I went, the fact that the fill is so far recessed into the body, the nozzle wouldn't reach.

I spent 200 bucks on an adapter, that extends the filler. There is a bleed screw on the side of the extension, so that it what they use to bleed. Still a frosty mess.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Commercial Member

A few things here....
1. LP is heavier than air. So is it the LP, or is it the chemical they add to make it smell?
2. On the 4, there is a solenoid. If 12V power is off, the valve defaults to "closed", if the switch on the valve is off, it defaults to closed. IF, the LP detector goes off, it closes the valve. So if you are filling and the valve closes, you may only be filling he 8'-9' line that goes to the tank.

I think the bigger key is to make sure the valve area is sealed really well. Maybe there is a gap in the foam seal and it is letting gases in through a chase. tighten that up.

Also when filling, the bleeder screw has to be open.

Also...how long are they letting the blender valve bleed off gas before they shut the thing down?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
A few things here....
1. LP is heavier than air. So is it the LP, or is it the chemical they add to make it smell?
2. On the 4, there is a solenoid. If 12V power is off, the valve defaults to "closed", if the switch on the valve is off, it defaults to closed. IF, the LP detector goes off, it closes the valve. So if you are filling and the valve closes, you may only be filling he 8'-9' line that goes to the tank.

I think the bigger key is to make sure the valve area is sealed really well. Maybe there is a gap in the foam seal and it is letting gases in through a chase. tighten that up.

Also when filling, the bleeder screw has to be open.

Also...how long are they letting the blender valve bleed off gas before they shut the thing down?
Thanks rfor response..there isn’t absolutely no foam seal, I just checked, so the gases are going right into the RV. The reason the gases are going into the rv is because the bleeder valve isn’t open. At least I now know why it shuts down,this time the propane alarm went off after 30 seconds. Should they not open the bleeder screw until they think the tank isn’t full. It’s very disconcerting. One other thing. The switch for the propane should be on when filling? Not off? I had the switch off, because I though5 that isn’t what you shoul$ do.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

I have always turned my switch off when filling.
It has always filled...
Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

I dont think the switch has anything to do with the input, or the filler.
It should be on the output.
I can crawl under and check though.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Sorry, incorrect info. The switch is on the supply side, not the fill side. So I would seal around the inlet so gas goes out instead of IN.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Also...the gauge could be bad. The gauge is on the tank itself.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #9

Our tank gauge seems to work okay but the one on the remote panel does not.
I think that tank only holds about 10 gallons so a 3 gallon fill seems reasonable.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Mercaptan

Quote:
A few things here....
Mercaptan.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #11

B
Quote:
Sorry, incorrect info. The switch is on the supply side, not the fill side. So I would seal around the inlet so gas goes out instead of IN.
Ok. But if alarm goes off than the tank will not fill right?
Thanks
Old 10-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoIKU View Post
B
Thanks
Switch, alarm, yadda yadda ..

Has nothing to do with the filling of the tank.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoIKU View Post
B
Thanks
no, as I mentioned the valve is on the supply side not the fill side. I got some erroneous info, but then they corrected that right after I posted.

So it goes back to the "sealing" part to stop the detector from going off. Then figuring out why they are having issues filling. We have had local guys have issues, only for our guys to fill it no problem. So I'm not 100% sure unless you can re-create. Or the level indicator is off and it is filling as much as it should

Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #14

Quote:
no, as I mentioned the valve is on the supply side not the fill side. I got some erroneous info, but then they corrected that right after I posted.

So it goes back to the "sealing" part to stop the detector from going off. Then figuring out why they are having issues filling. We have had local guys have issues, only for our guys to fill it no problem. So I'm not 100% sure unless you can re-create. Or the level indicator is off and it is filling as much as it should
Make sure the rubber seal is in place at the fill port. I’ve seen those disappear.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
Commercial Member

^^oooh, good call^^^ I forgot about that one. Just like a garden hose without the rubber washer. sprays everywhere.

Sad part is, the local LP place should know that better than anyone and have them on hand, but I have seen several just scratch their heads.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #16

This concerns me a little. Just picked up a new 2019 Isata 4. Never had to fill the Propane tank yet. But we are heading South for the winter in early November. My tank indicator showed 2/3 full last week. Cold weather hit us now it indicates 1/2 full. Nothing is turned on. I cannot locate any manual shut off. I’m guessing the automatic shut off is the only option. I suspect the cold weather contracted the gas. Hence the reason for the level change. No smells are present!
Anybody with more experience than this newbie got any ideas?
I shut off the house batteries today. This should shut the auto valve.The Solar charger seems to be working fine. Even on a cold and rainy day. We live in Pennsylvania. Thanks for any input in advance!
Limey1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey1071 View Post
This concerns me a little. Just picked up a new 2019 Isata 4. Never had to fill the Propane tank yet. But we are heading South for the winter in early November. My tank indicator showed 2/3 full last week. Cold weather hit us now it indicates 1/2 full. Nothing is turned on. I cannot locate any manual shut off. I’m guessing the automatic shut off is the only option. I suspect the cold weather contracted the gas. Hence the reason for the level change. No smells are present!
I shut off the house batteries today. This should shut the auto valve.The Solar charger seems to be working fine. Even on a cold and rainy day. We live in Pennsylvania. Thanks for any input in advance!
Look underneath on the tank and see the level indicator...our level on interior said 1/4 but on tank it said 1/2. The tank indicator is right.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #18

How warm is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey1071 View Post
The ambient temperature has a huge effect. How warm was it last week? How warm is it now?

The boiling point (liquid to gas) of propane is 60 degrees F.

Did you ever notice that your propane-fired grill takes longer to cook a steak when it's cold out?

See http://www.pgane.org/uploadedFiles/S...r%20Demand.pdf

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane