Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Commercial Member

First new part inspired by the Rally (thanks to MouseHouse)

When I was at Sunseeker, we took an idea of a netting for the cabover and tweaked it. The seatbelt brackets hanging from the ceiling looked terrible. So we moved them to the wall and engineering changed that to little clips...so when the net was down or removed, you didn't even know one was there.

I liked that idea, but did not love the idea of the netting (and it still had to screw to the bunk mat) or anyone getting tangled up in it or that it interfered with climbing in and out of the bunk. So after seeing the wood guard that IsataMatata built for Mousehouse...I wanted to get back on that project. Also...was there a way we could make it retro to anything we had built.

First pic is the netting we did at Sunseeker
2nd picture is the one I took at the Rally.
3rd is the first installed proto-type.
(The evolution of design)

(Thanks for all the ideas, some are still in process. Maybe the very first thing that came from the Rally was to delete the drip cap over the entry door. The entry door already had one and it is normally under the awning anwway, so the only thing the drip cap was doing was falling off. Which of course I was blamed for crappy quality...but the tape was still on the coach, which told me it was the supplier that was not prepping THEIR side of the tape as that tape came pre-installed. So for anyone that loses a drip cap...I'd suggest cleaning off the tape and calling it a day)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Net.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	183411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 1.51.41 P.png
Views:	443
Size:	827.7 KB
ID:	183412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Rail.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	183413  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Your prototype looks good. Even though our kid has never fallen out of a bed, he really wanted a bunk rail. Our dealer designed the wooden one and surprised us with it on pickup day. (shout-out to Bob Ledford Adventure Motorhomes). We'll still take credit for the inspiration though, LOL.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Good to know...nice to have even if you use it for storage. SUPER light too. This ended up being about 5lbs, maybe.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #4

Looks nice Brian! I like the concept a lot.

Looks like this install was in a 36DS or a 30FW, correct? In the 35DB, it looks like the rail would interfere with the ladder _or_ the occupant climbing the ladder would then have to go over the rail when they got to the top.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Looks nice Brian! I like the concept a lot.

Looks like this install was in a 36DS or a 30FW, correct? In the 35DB, it looks like the rail would interfere with the ladder _or_ the occupant climbing the ladder would then have to go over the rail when they got to the top.
I grew up camping in a Hi-Lo with a bunk similar to this concept. our bunk had a railing that hooked into place easily and was also the ladder. so it was dual purpose. during the day we set it up as a ladder. not worried about falling out unless we were being dumb kids (still never fell out and we were dumb a LOT). and at night after we climbed into bed it was put into place as a railing.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

This is great, wish we had it a few weeks ago. Our 7 year old fell out in the middle of the night and landed on her face. In addition to looking like she got into a fight, she had a loose front tooth that it knocked out. She has always ween a great sleeper and has never feel out of her bed anywhere, was just a freak accident.

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	183451
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer151 View Post
This is great, wish we had it a few weeks ago. Our 7 year old fell out in the middle of the night and landed on her face. In addition to looking like she got into a fight, she had a loose front tooth that it knocked out. She has always ween a great sleeper and has never feel out of her bed anywhere, was just a freak accident.

Attachment 183451
Ouch!!!
NearDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:

Attachment 183451

My heart sank when I saw the photo before I read your comments. May she recover quickly.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #9

I love this! A great example of why I am proud to be a Dynamax owner. Nice job Brian!
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:

Attachment 183451
ouch...yes, my wife always had them sleep perpendicular when they were little. No chance to roll out.

I think it will get the go ahead in the next week. Once I have a part number, I will make it available for purchase. Should be installable on just about anything,

Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #11
DW's 401(k) Plan

How tall is the proposed railing from the top of the bed? DW likes to store LOTS of stuff on the bunk of our Sunseeker, but I'm concerned the railing wouldn't be tall enough by the looks of the picture.
We chose the Sunseeker over a Class A specifically for my DW to use the overhead bunk for readily available storeage.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Sunseeker already has a net solution for their front bunk.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Sunseeker already has a net solution for their front bunk.
Yes Sir, and we use it extensively. However, as I believe it was pointed out, having to buckle the top ends can be a bit cumbersome and the netting is constantly attached at the bottom. Having a removable rail, as shown in the one picture, would be ideal, IF the rail were tall enough.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #14

Our 2013 2500TS has no solution ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

First new part inspired by the Rally (thanks to MouseHouse)

I will order one as soon as it is offered.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Yes Sir, and we use it extensively. However, as I believe it was pointed out, having to buckle the top ends can be a bit cumbersome and the netting is constantly attached at the bottom. Having a removable rail, as shown in the one picture, would be ideal, IF the rail were tall enough.
gotcha...I'll find out.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
How tall is the proposed railing from the top of the bed? DW likes to store LOTS of stuff on the bunk of our Sunseeker, but I'm concerned the railing wouldn't be tall enough by the looks of the picture.
We chose the Sunseeker over a Class A specifically for my DW to use the overhead bunk for readily available storeage.
I don't know how thick your mattress is or where you can mount it...so I just figured a print would be better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 10.36.05 A.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	183822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 10.36.17 A.png
Views:	129
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	183823  

Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #18
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

So part number is 2018-08-20?
Old 08-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
Commercial Member

As soon as I get a part number I'll post it. Right now I have part numbers for the mounting brackets (our design), plastic caps (McMaster Car) and waiting on a part number for the ladder. We just got it installed and will be doing some testing.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #20

BCLemens:
We appreciate your great comments in the forum.
This thread reminded me to ask if there is a privacy package that may be available for purchase that encloses the cab windows for evening privacy. Isata 5 Ram Cab.
We use a sun shade in the front window and have designed a privacy curtain that snaps in place between the cab and the coach but would like to know if there is something on the market that would go over the side cab windows without having to design something or search for it
Thanks
jacksonR is offline   Reply With Quote