Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

Flat towing a Toyota FJ Cruzer

I own a 2010 FJ that has a CAT scale weight of 4500 lbs with 1/3 tank of fuel. Has anyone ever towed one with a Isata 3? Somewhat on the heavy side. I like the vehicle and bought it new and know it’s condition. It’s a hassle to sell and buy. I usually would not tow unless going to stay in the same place for awhile. I see that they sell tow kits for it. I know that several people tow vehicles like the GMC Terrain or CJ, but they have a curb weight around 3800 lbs. I travel with no FW water and empty tanks and very little in outside storage so I have a little extra CCC room. CAT scale weight come in good.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
I own a 2010 FJ that has a CAT scale weight of 4500 lbs with 1/3 tank of fuel. Has anyone ever towed one with a Isata 3? Somewhat on the heavy side. I like the vehicle and bought it new and know it’s condition. It’s a hassle to sell and buy. I usually would not tow unless going to stay in the same place for awhile. I see that they sell tow kits for it. I know that several people tow vehicles like the GMC Terrain or CJ, but they have a curb weight around 3800 lbs. I travel with no FW water and empty tanks and very little in outside storage so I have a little extra CCC room. CAT scale weight come in good.
My understanding is you can't flat tow that vehicle unless you do some mods. Go to an FJ forum and they can describe what you need to do.

EDIT: Found this for you: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...at-tow-fj.html
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
You have to have a transmission pump installed to flat tow a FJ. I know I had a FJ and traded it for a Rubicon in order to flat tow. I could have done all of the needed modifications to my FJ, but in my estimation there were too many moving parts.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I understand the problems with towing a FJ and have spent a lot of time learning how to do it from many websites. Also, I have talked with the local Toyota service mechanic. I was going to tow it with a Class A but I purchased the Isata 3 Sprinter and now have an RV with many payload and towing limitations. I was hoping to hear from someone with actual experience towing a 4500 lb. vehicle.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

I think your sprinter would tow it okay especially if you are primarily on flat roads. The mountainous regions of the country may be challenging. If your cat scale numbers for the whole package are good, you should be fine. I travel pretty light also and that heavy of a rig would put me overweight by quite a bit.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #6

Whatever you tow, put brakes on it. I know so many people that don't put brakes on their toads. My brother has a 39' Monaco diesel pusher and he has brakes on his toad which is a Jeep Rubicon.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Whatever you tow, put brakes on it. I know so many people that don't put brakes on their toads. My brother has a 39' Monaco diesel pusher and he has brakes on his toad which is a Jeep Rubicon.
A vehicle as heavy as the OP vehicle would require, by law, brakes in most states and Canada. I see a lot with no brakes installed, makes ya wonder!

Like you brother I don't need brakes on my toad but they are on it and I feel a lot better for it.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Thinking that with and Isata 3 and a heavy toad like yours you may be finding you need to install heavier sway bar and a rear track bar. I know on my 28 ft class A towing a Honda CRV I felt the tail wagging the dog especially down grades and around corners until I installed upgrades. Hopefully someone comes on with specific knowledge.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #9

The new Sprinter chassis comes with a heavier stock sway bar than before and Dynamax has always upgraded all the others with a Helwig. My toed is around 3600 and I don't know it's back there. But like Cariboo Camper mentioned, you'll definitely want a good braking system.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I have no problem with my 2016 Jeep JK Willys Hard Top that is usually around 4400 lbs when I tow it.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:37 AM   #11

I know where you are coming from. Sprinters are notorious for weak breaks. I had to have mine bled under warranty. They were having to do a lot of them . I still have to pump the breaks a little... too soft for my preference. In my opinion toad breaks are a must do no matter what is being towed. My unit came with Helwig and Sumo’s. I still feel the need for stiffer sway control. I’d like to get the back end up a little more also.
theo45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, toyota