Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Florida was hard on our Isata 5!

Well, the Florida part of our trip was an interesting one - more than just the slide issue detailed in my other thread!

1. To start, we had the electrical issue with the chassis batteries and having to jump start the coach several times - this was detailed in a separate thread.

After that, we had not one, but two separate roof leaks!

2. The first one manifested by dripping from the over-shower skylight, and progressed to dripping in the kitchen cupboards and over the bunks, with the whole ceiling in that general area being soaked. I got up on the roof and found the culprit - a bad seal over the skylight:

I sealed this one up (temporarily) with some silicone caulking - we'll leave it to our home dealer to deal with any ceiling water damage under warranty!

3. The second leak has been harder to track down - I have water coming in from the wall over the door - it's leaking down in between the wall (laminate?) and the framing, directly above the left side of the door frame, behind the trim - and it seems to be *very specific to that location, possibly due to an area between two studs being soaked? Here's the picture:

I can't for the life of me figure out where the water penetration is on this - I suspect it has something to do with the water channel trim above the awning, but I've gone crazy with the silicone in that area, and it hasn't stopped it. However, it seems to be a soak issue - if I make sure the rear end is dropped down so that water flows towards the back of the coach, it significantly minimizes/prevents the leakage. Anyone have any ideas of where water might be penetrating?

4. Slide issue #1: Rear bunk slide lost it's stops - I had to pull the control panel and manually run it in. I tried reprogramming the stops according to the manual, but it didn't take - I'll try again when we break down camp here in New Orleans.

5. Slide issue #2: Front motor of front dinette slide went bad, with slide in out position. After a frantic day of getting this dealt with, we got it in, and it's staying in. It's a little cramped, but the 5 of us are still being able to make it work without too much trouble, and we're lined up with a dealer in Houston to get the slide taken care of.

As a side note, we did cross the 10,000 mile mark on the odometer on our way out of Florida - glad we're doing this long trip, and getting a full shake-out of these problems before our warranty is up!
Old 08-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Sorry to hear the issues!

I just hit 10k too!
Just got home a few hours ago.
7500km trip.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #3

Nice - glad to hear you all made it back safe after the unexpected tropical storm! We've got one more month to make it home - we're hoping nothing else significant goes wrong!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #4

I was about 2 hours away from Port St. Lucie when the storm warning was issued!
Glad I like to leave early!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #5

James, isn't your Isata 5 a fairly new coach?
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

It is - we picked it up last November. I'm grateful for warranties!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #7

Where did you stay in New Orleans? We got hammered with the rain yesterday. Looks like today will be no different. Safe travels to Houston and good luck on the repair.

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

We're in Jude Travel Park - where'd you stay at?

Also - the saga continues. Now the front motor of the *rear* slide won't work, so the slide tries to come in crooked and one-sided. Another call in to Coach Net for a tech to come out. What's with our luck with the motors on these slides?

At least we don't have quite as long of a drive in front of us once we get the slide in! One of these days we'll look back at this and, well, if not laugh, then at least not break down in to stress crying...
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_james View Post
We're in Jude Travel Park - where'd you stay at?

Also - the saga continues. Now the front motor of the *rear* slide won't work, so the slide tries to come in crooked and one-sided. Another call in to Coach Net for a tech to come out. What's with our luck with the motors on these slides?

At least we don't have quite as long of a drive in front of us once we get the slide in! One of these days we'll look back at this and, well, if not laugh, then at least not break down in to stress crying...

I live in covington, LA. Just north of lake pontchartrain. And the rain continues today! Hopefully by tomorrow your slide troubles will be over. I guess I will be proactive with the Eternabond tape on the caps, vents and skylights when I pick up the coach. Good luck!

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

To follow up, we got the slide back in around 6pm. Would have been earlier, but the tech and I went on a frantic search for a T17 torx bit in the local hardware stores, as that's what we seemed to need to remove the seal covering the slide motor. After coming up dry at store after store, I did a little more research, and it turned out that it wasn't a torx, but rather a double-cut #2 square bit... The more you know!

Got in to Houston around 2:30am, and got the rig over to Holiday World RV in Katy - they're going to assess it today, contact Dynamax to make sure both slide repairs will be covered by warranty (it had better be!). Maybe they will be able to get it done today, but more likely tomorrow, assuming they have the needed parts in stock! Hopefully they do, as were scheduled to leave Houston on Thursday!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 PM   #11

Good news - it was a bad slide motor per slide, and Holiday World RV in Katy, TX slipped us in to their very busy shop today, diagnosed the issues, happened to have exactly two of the needed motors in stock, got them swapped out, and our Isata back to us by 6PM - they were awesome! If you go there for service, ask for Mirza - he's the man!

We're now back to "functional enough to finish our trip" state - we were going a bit stir crazy without being able to put out the dinette slide, and I'm tall enough that I normally sleep with my feet hanging off the end of the bed, but without the rear slide out, I was having to sleep diagonal and curled up!

Here's to no more stuck slides, no new leaks, and nothing else significant happening for our final four weeks until we're home!