Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #41
ETF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I've been retired now for 20 years. When working I traveled the world including he Arctic. Was able to take DW for free using Frequent Flyer miles. Always upgraded to at least Business Class. At that still had 250,000 miles on the books. My retirement dream was to travel the good old USA. I'm now living my dream in our DX3.
You could be my twin brother. I retired 20 years ago after traveling all over the world except to the Arctic and Antarctica. My wife travelled the world in her job too. Our retirement dream was to stay home and that did last a few years. My S-I-L talked us in to getting a RV and we've been going ever since. No wish to full time but no wish to stay home either. There is so much to see and experience in this country, I see no need to go abroad, especially in this day and age.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroniekon View Post
We just got back from a river cruise in Europe. Highly recommend!
That reminds me of a funny story... quite a few years ago when my father was still alive, mom and dad booked a cruise that ended up somewhere near Greece. They checked their itinerary and had everything ready.

When they arrived, they soon discovered it was a ONE WAY trip...

Needless to say, they had to book a flight home but the next time I even mentioned taking a European cruise, I got the evil eye.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #43

Guaranteed to fix things

No repairs yet, about a year now. Love my FR 29 QBLE. Regret buying the extended warranty, a waste of money for sure. Lemons in every brand but not mine.
Wildhood37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Wow! So what did you do in the meantime, put off camping?
I believe it’s call get extra warranty
We just bought our 3rd TT last year and took an extra 7 years warranty that cover everything and it’s also transferable if we sell it .
No worries for 7 years wow
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #45

But, keeping that in mind, some of the things that are missed when you go over it with the dealer should not make it a problem. Mine has been back to the dealer 4 times now and it is a year old. We have used it once in October and then it went under cover. When we got it out last month, the slide wouldn't go all the way out, the tongue jack wouldn't go down, slide roof buckled, and the electrical connections under the front were all so loose that there was extreme sparking. Had to fix that and the slide would then work. If this were a car or truck, the dealer would have a lot of explaining to do. Some of the things that are coming up wrong with the campers should not be that way from the factory. I built airplanes and would you fly if an airplane was put together like these campers????
Toma1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma1953 View Post
But, keeping that in mind, some of the things that are missed when you go over it with the dealer should not make it a problem. Mine has been back to the dealer 4 times now and it is a year old. We have used it once in October and then it went under cover. When we got it out last month, the slide wouldn't go all the way out, the tongue jack wouldn't go down, slide roof buckled, and the electrical connections under the front were all so loose that there was extreme sparking. Had to fix that and the slide would then work. If this were a car or truck, the dealer would have a lot of explaining to do. Some of the things that are coming up wrong with the campers should not be that way from the factory. I built airplanes and would you fly if an airplane was put together like these campers????
I do agree with that
We had some issues with our also
And still do and it a year old
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma1953 View Post

You wouldn't have to worry about flying it, it wouldn't even get off the ground since most would be installed incorrectly.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #48

The downside to "buying your third rv first" is you end up like we did. We missed out on years of memories shopping and saving for the "perfect" one. Perfect was the enemy of done in this case.

We should have bought "close enough" years ago.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #49

Well we are on pace to buy our 3rd motorhome 3rd. We also have had a 5th wheel toy hauler, several travel trailers, and tents before that. But like what has been mentioned, its all about the journey.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #50

You are very fortunate. Our 2016 Hemisphere Lite has had numerous problems. The A/C and DVD player were replaced under warranty, the water pump failed and was replaced on my nickel, a hole drilled for the awning that was never caulked caused a leak, and one of my China bomb tires failed catastrophically causing $1700 in damage to the camper. After nearly 4 years, I think we have worked out all the kinks and we really like the camper. Unfortunately, I think our experience is pretty typical of someone who buys a new camper.
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Two rules you can bank on.

1) Buy your third RV first.

2) You'll spend at least the first year fixing stuff on a new RV.

You can't take a 40K lb mobile home and drive it down the interstate at 80 mph and expect it not to have problems. I hear it all the time... "for THAT MUCH MONEY...."
Mark
80MPH????? No wonder you have so many problems!
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
He didn't say that.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
He didn't say that.
anyhow how would driving 70 vs 80 cause so many problems? Most of the problems or almost all have nothing to do with speed. My toilet is not affected by speed.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET.LEO View Post
First, it was an expression just to make a point.

Second, Top speed from the limiter is 77

Thirdly, please tell me what kind of problems would be generated from someone running 70 as opposed to running 80. (this I want to hear)

Last but not least... all of my problems except the toilet stop flushing (actuator) and some tiles cracking were related to things that weren't caught during PDI at the receiving dealership.

While I respect your previous profession, think before you speak.

Mark
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #55

Quote:
First, it was an expression just to make a point.

Second, Top speed from the limiter is 77

Thirdly, please tell me what kind of problems would be generated from someone running 70 as opposed to running 80. (this I want to hear)

Last but not least... all of my problems except the toilet stop flushing (actuator) and some tiles cracking were related to things that weren't caught during PDI at the receiving dealership.

While I respect your previous profession, think before you speak.

Mark
My Isata 5 went over 77
Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 AM   #56

I wish I could make the DX3 run over 80 so I could take a run up some of these hills but mine actually peaks out at 78 to be exact.

I’ve been trying to get a tune so I have some more power but more importantly, I would like to ditch the speed limiter for the very reason of being able to get a head start going up some of the hills we tow up in VA and KY.

Mark
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #57

FWIW I think it's a rev limiter not a speed limiter. Doubt you're going to find much HP north of 2100 rpm anyways. What you really need is a 7th gear
Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #58

Our dealer did a good pdi. We had a good inspection sheet.

Our Cedar Creek Hathaway was in excellent condition.

Our issues were all minimum.

Frankly we enjoyed fixing the minor items. Forgot to plug in a hdmi cable. Bathroom door fell out. Dealer turned on and forgot a light and discharged the battery. One latch needed adjusting. Piece of trim fell off. Tv plastic mount broke when we hit the ultimate bump in a highway. Like nothing in the first year of 50 days of camping.

The majority of us are happy!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #59

Our first two pop-ups (Coleman) had no issues. The third (FR) had quite a list and about the time I had them beaten down DW decided a Roo would be better. No issues on the Roo either.

We do our own PDI and do not rely only on the dealer for that. We have bought three of four from the same dealer over 25 years and they must have our name carved somewhere as they know we will be pretty thorough. And we still gloss over some things.

I see posts, (and say myself), 'I would pay more for better QA or this improvement', but how many would really follow through with that?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #60

Quote:
Two rules you can bank on.

As far as #2, let's face it. All RV's are rolling turds. You can't take a 40K lb mobile home and drive it down the interstate at 80 mph and expect it not to have problems. I hear it all the time... "for THAT MUCH MONEY...."
Mark
To reiterate what he said any RV driven at high speeds "80 MPH" is going to shake apart. He is right, anyone who drives at excessive speed is only going to excel the results of poor workmanship.......even one that is built very well is going to be stressed at high speeds..............most have problems at a reasonable speed.........nature of the beast.
Early in life before I went L.E. I drove semi's that would weigh up to 80,000 lbs and they held together for 100's of thousands of miles without falling apart. Point being they were made for heavy weights with reasonable speeds, proper weight distribution, proper maintenance. Are RV's being produced with structural integrity and longevity to hold up to excessive speed? Don't think so.
His point is well taken.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags