Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 AM   #1

For the newbies considering buying an RV...

Two rules you can bank on.

1) Buy your third RV first.

2) You'll spend at least the first year fixing stuff on a new RV.

We're on our 6th RV since we started doing this 8-9 years ago. I was told by someone that had been around to buy my third RV first. After having two trailers, two fifth wheels and two RV's, we're on our 3rd set and when we bought our DX3, we finally got what we wanted.

My suggestion is to do a lot of research, check out different brands and look at different options. There were so many things that were a "deal breaker" only to find out we didn't really need or want. While no brand or model is perfect, it's worth the while to talk to other RV'ers that have tried it all.

As far as #2, let's face it. All RV's are rolling turds. You can't take a 40K lb mobile home and drive it down the interstate at 80 mph and expect it not to have problems. I hear it all the time... "for THAT MUCH MONEY...."

I have found that every RV (and as much as I love our DX3, we've owned it for 17 months and it's finally getting it's last repair from our punch list when we bought it) needs the first year to fix all the stuff that should have been caught when PDI'd at the dealership. There will be squeaks, loose moldings, electronics that don't work and items that will stop working when you need them the most. If you have the expectations that you will buy a new RV and instantly be a happy camper with no problems ever, then you're probably the same kind of person that believes Bernie Sanders that everything is free.

At the end of the day, it'll be worth it.

Word to the wise....

Mark

Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
Two rules you can bank on.

1) Buy your third RV first.

2) You'll spend at least the first year fixing stuff on a new RV.

We're on our 6th RV since we started doing this 8-9 years ago. I was told by someone that had been around to buy my third RV first. After having two trailers, two fifth wheels and two RV's, we're on our 3rd set and when we bought our DX3, we finally got what we wanted.

My suggestion is to do a lot of research, check out different brands and look at different options. There were so many things that were a "deal breaker" only to find out we didn't really need or want. While no brand or model is perfect, it's worth the while to talk to other RV'ers that have tried it all.

As far as #2, let's face it. All RV's are rolling turds. You can't take a 40K lb mobile home and drive it down the interstate at 80 mph and expect it not to have problems. I hear it all the time... "for THAT MUCH MONEY...."

I have found that every RV (and as much as I love our DX3, we've owned it for 17 months and it's finally getting it's last repair from our punch list when we bought it) needs the first year to fix all the stuff that should have been caught when PDI'd at the dealership. There will be squeaks, loose moldings, electronics that don't work and items that will stop working when you need them the most. If you have the expectations that you will buy a new RV and instantly be a happy camper with no problems ever, then you're probably the same kind of person that believes Bernie Sanders that everything is free.

At the end of the day, it'll be worth it.

Word to the wise....

Mark
Well said!!
P.S. what do you mean things arenít free?!?!

brianh442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:14 AM   #3

Interesting....................... we have owned 5 RVs over the years and have repaired very few things. Our current 2017 has never been back to the dealer. ........... that was after a few cosmetic things were fixed during the PDI no issues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

We've had two since 2008 and only the newest one had one trip to the dealer for an electrical issue I couldn't find. The rest of the time it was normal care and maint.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #5

We've had 6 RV's and agree with Orangecrush - things smooth out after that first year and the dealer's service department will determine your experience during that first year. Unfortunately we haven't found a good service department yet.
JohnMirada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #6

1. I guess we accidentally did this but very happy how it worked out.

2. I think this is a good mindset to start with. A thorough PDI can save some headaches here. I also wonder how many return trips are from dealer mistakes. I know you've had a couple OC. I think part of it too is just getting into a rhythm with the rig and learning its personality. Our second year definitely went a ton smoother with almost no surprises and now getting ready to start out 3rd season I think we've finally eradicated all the squeaks! Think has never rode as quiet as it does now.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #7

LOL! You mean stuff breaks!????????????

One thought that comes to me every time I hear "Well, your dealer should have caught that in the PDI", is that maybe you are better off if they don't. 87.403% of posts about dealers are that they are worthless for service, even after waiting an excessive amount of time, and rarely fix anything right. SO, what makes you think they'd fix it if you caught it during the PDI?

I am convinced that a dealer is a place to buy an RV, and to go back to their front door parts in case you need a new sewer hose, and that's about it. I avoid their service like the Plague. I've used VERY honest ones, that tried hard and did their best, but failed miserably. This is for major items like slides falling out in transit, black tank serious leaks, and about 10 other things. They got me a new Dometic A/C, and a new roof! But the new roof turns out to be not quite as good as OEM roof.

SO....."Dealer should have caught that in the PDI" is not always a good answer. Most of us would end up wishing they hadn't caught it, so you could get it done right somewhere.

That's a black tank 'fix'. After 3 years of leaking, I finally got it done right last month, but not at a dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	203978  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #8

Well said Mark. We looked for 5 years before buying, we started looking at towable toyhaulers, everyear we looked at something bigger.

We finally bought a smaller (non Dynamax) super C. had a ton of problems, moved to the Dynamax Force a year later, then a year after that a Force HD. So we are on our third RV, just started in reverse order I guess, lol.

There are always things to fix, but that is part of the fun for me. That gives me another reason to chat on here with you guys and talk about stuff at the Rally.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #9

My first RV NEVER went back to the dealer or factory! It couldn't make it back.. lol
Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
ETF

"All RV's are rolling turds. You can't take a 40K lb mobile home and drive it down the interstate at 80 mph and expect it not to have problems."

That there says it all in two sentences!

We've been RVing for over 12 years and the DX3 37TS is our third unit. On the first two, I spent more time fixing things on them than actually driving them. There wasn't any trip, no matter how short, that wasn't followed by a list of repairs to be done. On the DX3 there was a period of about 3 months where we had to get stuff fixed under warranty but since that time, NOTHING. I've been pleasantly surprised. We've only had it a year and put 5K miles on it but it seems to be holding together pretty well. We'll see how long it lasts as we are coming up on our RVing season.

ETF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags