Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

For those that use air brakes a lot....

I travel to KY and TN a lot which means we're in the mountains/hills quite a bit. Of course, we're also pulling an enclosed trailer which adds even more weight going down hills.

Point is, I use my air brakes as much as possible so I don't wear out my brake pads.

Anyway, I find it extremely difficult (especially at night) to reach over almost to the passenger side to flip the switch.

For those that use the air brakes a lot, I took the dash cover off and swapped the air brakes for the heated mirror switch. It brings the switch MUCH closer to me and honestly, I'd rather have it about where the tail light flash switch is.

Not sure if anyone else did that but for those that use it a lot, it might be easier to use.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

+1 on the reach. Did you have to splice extra wire? Never pulled the dash so don’t know what to expect.
steverkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

I'm confused. The "air brakes" are the normal brakes activated by the brake pedal. Are you referring to the Jake brake, which is the engine compression brake? If so, why are you turning the dash switch on- off frequently?Just turn it on high or low and just leave it on unless the road is slick. It works automatically.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

I think you mean, you use your engine brake alot. Your air brakes are your brake pad.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #5

Looks like Randy and I were typing at the same time.
I leave mine on low all the time, switch it to high when I want extra engine braking.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #6

Use High all the time, these things are heavy...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #7

Assuming you’re talking about the engine/exhaust brake as the normal brakes are air acuated

But yes unless I’m cruising the flat Midwest at 70mph I have mine on low. Esp around town where small cars like to do stupid stuff. On the flat highway I feel like it’s wasting a bit of fuel to brake every time I let off the gas
Old 08-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
and how many of you with air brakes know the proper way to pump down the pressure and check the brake kickout knob and at what pressures do things happen such as the alarm and brake lock up?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31668 View Post
and how many of you with air brakes know the proper way to pump down the pressure and check the brake kickout knob and at what pressures do things happen such as the alarm and brake lock up?
I do. How does that relate to suggesting to keep the jake brake turned on all of the time versus flipping it on/off each time you want to use it?

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

I don't leave my exhaust brake on all the time, only when needed, especially when descending mountains.

I've also delivered several of these new SuperC class diesels from the factories to dealers, and do the same... if it's not needed, I want to be able to come off the 'gas' pedal and coast... I don't want the exhaust or jake brake to be applied simply because I'm not in the pedal.

Some will always keep it 'on', and that's just a driver's choice - we all drive differently.

I agree that the factories don't always 'think' as a driver when they layout these driver console areas - I've got an easy-to-reach mirror 'heater' switch, that I never use, and yet I have an 'exhaust brake' switch which is inconveniently located 'not' in easy reach area - duhhh!

When you drive this for extended periods, you quickly start to realize that the engineers and designers DON'T! (at least on Class A diesel pushers that have 'custom' driver console areas that are not provided by the chassis manufacturer, like front-end diesels do)

I will say this, though, I've done some testing, and my experience shows that the exhaust or jake braking has little to do to effect MPG averages, which is nice. Use if you want, turn it off when you don't.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31668 View Post
I think all air brake equipped vehicles require an air brake endorsement on your drivers licence. To get an air brake endorsement requires a course be taken covering things like you mentioned.

This is the way it is in Canada, pretty sure in the States also.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I don't leave my exhaust brake on all the time, only when needed, especially when descending mountains.

I've also delivered several of these new SuperC class diesels from the factories to dealers, and do the same... if it's not needed, I want to be able to come off the 'gas' pedal and coast... I don't want the exhaust or jake brake to be applied simply because I'm not in the pedal.

Some will always keep it 'on', and that's just a driver's choice - we all drive differently.

I agree that the factories don't always 'think' as a driver when they layout these driver console areas - I've got an easy-to-reach mirror 'heater' switch, that I never use, and yet I have an 'exhaust brake' switch which is inconveniently located 'not' in easy reach area - duhhh!

When you drive this for extended periods, you quickly start to realize that the engineers and designers DON'T! (at least on Class A diesel pushers that have 'custom' driver console areas that are not provided by the chassis manufacturer, like front-end diesels do)

I will say this, though, I've done some testing, and my experience shows that the exhaust or jake braking has little to do to effect MPG averages, which is nice. Use if you want, turn it off when you don't.
Also, lightly touching the throttle pedal will disengage the engine brake and not noticeably increase the RPM.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
I think all air brake equipped vehicles require an air brake endorsement on your drivers licence. To get an air brake endorsement requires a course be taken covering things like you mentioned.

NOPE, there's no such requirement here in the states, any of the states, simply because of air brakes.

the only requirements, for PERSONALLY owned RVs, especially Class A types, you'll find is that several states have either a length triggered personal Class A/B requirement(CA - 40+'), or a WEIGHT triggered requirement for an additional endorsement, such as my North Carolina - which is simply if your Class A or similar type is OVER 26,000lbs GVWR.

I've even delivered many diesel pusher coaches, less than 26,000lbs, with air brakes, from the factories to dealers across the country, and are not required to have any additional license endorsement, and certainly NOT a full blown CDL.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post

In the US it’s actually a restriction not an endorsement. Like night driving with glasses if you show up for a CDL test without air brakes you’re going to be restricted from using them.

This doesn’t exist for non-CDL licenses (which is what these RVs require)

That’s not to say you shouldn’t do the proper studying to understand the system
Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

I never shut off my engine brake, when I want to coast I do not let up an the accelerator pedal all the way. Why wear out your brake linings when you have an engine brake?
I also carry a CDL and I think any one driving a Super C or Class A should have a CDL or some kind of license. If I take the same truck chassis and put a box on it I need a CDL why not an RV?
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #16

You do not want commercial motor vehicle regs on RV's. I agree having additional training is a great idea but things like hours of service and electronic logging etc are not fun and would take a lot of the recreation out of RV.

As to the engine brake, when you want to coast just release the gas pedal 95% but not 100% and the engine brake will not come on. I leave mine on all the time.
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverkemp View Post
+1 on the reach. Did you have to splice extra wire? Never pulled the dash so don’t know what to expect.
No, I moved it as far as I could without splicing. Well worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I'm confused. The "air brakes" are the normal brakes activated by the brake pedal. Are you referring to the Jake brake, which is the engine compression brake? If so, why are you turning the dash switch on- off frequently?Just turn it on high or low and just leave it on unless the road is slick. It works automatically.
Randy,

You are correct, I wasn't even paying attention I was using the term air brakes. Yes, the jake brake.

For those that ask why I turn it on and off is because when I'm driving, I don't want the brake light to keep coming off if I let of the gas. I have thought about disconnecting the brake light from jake brake. It annoys me to follow someone that keeps tapping the brake and if I'm driving and let off the gas, the jake brake does come on but so does the brake light.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #18

Lol, I was wondering if that might be the reason you were turinig it off and on. I’ve considered that as well as I can’t stand it when folks in front of me are constantly on and off their brakes. As others have mentioned, very light pressure on the accelerator will allow the coach to coast without the engine brake engaging...works very well, is easy to do, and allows me to keep the low setting on all the time.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #19

My coach is different. It is older and has the Cat engine. I only have one setting for the jake brake (it is actually a PAC brake) and is similar in feel to your low setting. I turn mine off because of the lack of ability to coast. I turn it on only when driving in the hills or when the traffic around me is acting "unpredictable" so I could stop faster if necessary.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #20

Interesting discussion. In Nevada there is a Class A, B, C Driver's Licenses. To operate any non-commercial vehicle in excess of 26,001# needs a Class B license. It isn't enforced, it's like, it's not a problem until something happens.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes