Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #21

I have had my CDL for 45 years, originally it was class1,2,3. Then the system became more standard throughout the country, now called class A,B,C and motorcycle. Along with that and much lobbying from the RV industry that couldn’t sell as many bigger heavier coaches and trailers as they would like other classifications and endorsements were developed. Why they allow people to drive air brake vehicles without air brake knowledge is beyond me. I also don’t agree with having people driving what is basically a big rig that is for personal use but still on public highways without having the same regulations. It is just another one of those things you can get with money used for lobbying.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

PA does not have any air brake restrictions / special requirements on anything under 26,001. Over that a cdl with air brake endorsement is needed (you can get a cdl and not be allowed to drive an air brake veh) if commercial. If the camper weight or combo is over 26001 you need a non commercial class a or b, which will depend on what your unit is. It is the same test as a cdl. I actually do not know if that have a separate restriction for air brakes. The cdl does because it is federally standardized.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
NOPE, there's no such requirement here in the states, any of the states, simply because of air brakes.

the only requirements, for PERSONALLY owned RVs, especially Class A types, you'll find is that several states have either a length triggered personal Class A/B requirement(CA - 40+'), or a WEIGHT triggered requirement for an additional endorsement, such as my North Carolina - which is simply if your Class A or similar type is OVER 26,000lbs GVWR.

I've even delivered many diesel pusher coaches, less than 26,000lbs, with air brakes, from the factories to dealers across the country, and are not required to have any additional license endorsement, and certainly NOT a full blown CDL.
This discussion is getting interesting! Provinces in Canada are somewhat different but most require an air brake endorsement, ( actually called a restriction 15 in British Columbia). This is required to operate air brake equipped vehicles.

So it makes me wonder how many RV drivers from the US are operating air brake equipped RVs in BC without air brake endorsements. Could affect insurance and even result in having vehicle parked. I know a lot of posters are going to suggest the law applies to where you are from. Not true. You must adhere to the law of the State or Province you are in.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
This discussion is getting interesting! Provinces in Canada are somewhat different but most require an air brake endorsement, ( actually called a restriction 15 in British Columbia). This is required to operate air brake equipped vehicles.

So it makes me wonder how many RV drivers from the US are operating air brake equipped RVs without air brake endorsements. Could affect insurance and even result in having vehicle parked. I know a lot of posters are going to suggest the law applies to where you are from. Not true. You must adhere to the law of the State or Province you are in.
Canada is very confusing for cdls.. The US is standardized for the cdl part, a regular license is all bets off. I have a 33 page book to figure out what a Canadian cdl holder can do and not doubt and all the province's are seemingly different.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Canada is very confusing for cdls.. The US is standardized for the cdl part, a regular license is all bets off. I have a 33 page book to figure out what a Canadian cdl holder can do and not doubt and all the province's are seemingly different.
Too bad all jurisdictions couldn't put there heads together and standardize at least across Canada and US. In British Columbia we have class 1 through 5. I have a class 1, large truck trailer combination with air (restriction 15) which allows me to drive all classes except motorcycles. Class 2 is buses, class 3 dump truck size, class 4 small bus up to 9 pass. class 5 cars, and a separate class for larger RV trailers over a certain weight and also a motorcycle endorsement. This is a rough guide but you get the picture. Makes for some arguments. Other provinces still use Class A. Class B etc.

I got stopped by Highway Patrol in Nevada, took the officer half an hour to verify what a class 1 BC licence entailed. We both got a good chuckle out of it and I got a warning to watch my speed in the small towns.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Too bad all jurisdictions couldn't put there heads together and standardize at least across Canada and US. In British Columbia we have class 1 through 5. I have a class 1, large truck trailer combination with air (restriction 15) which allows me to drive all classes except motorcycles. Class 2 is buses, class 3 dump truck size, class 4 small bus up to 9 pass. class 5 cars, and a separate class for larger RV trailers over a certain weight and also a motorcycle endorsement. This is a rough guide but you get the picture. Makes for some arguments. Other provinces still use Class A. Class B etc.

I got stopped by Highway Patrol in Nevada, took the officer half an hour to verify what a class 1 BC licence entailed. We both got a good chuckle out of it and I got a warning to watch my speed in the small towns.
Yes... It can be a pain. It is also a pain for mx.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #27

I am an "unlicensed" driver, that is to say, I have not received my B endorsement in Nevada... yet. I am studying for the test. My biggest obstacle is finding someone to drive me over to the DMV so I can take the driving portion of the exam. I'll be taking the written exam in 2 weeks.

If I do okay I'll be fully legal by the mid-September. The funny thing is that I asked the question when I registered my DX3. Since I purchased out of state I was required to have a VIN inspection. The State of Nevada classified the DX3 as a "Small Class C Motorhome". Go figure, the DMV employee said I did not need an endorsement.

As I read the statute I need a B endorsement, regardless of what the DMV "said".
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #28

Well if they are anything like the CA dmv they know less than the driver. Typical government employees, you are forced to pay for them but they are not forced to know or do their jobs. Not all of them but the majority.
It takes a month or more just to get an appointment here, the line at the door starts an hour before they open and it can take three trips to renew a driver license because they tell you or ask you for something different on each trip.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Lol, I was wondering if that might be the reason you were turinig it off and on. I’ve considered that as well as I can’t stand it when folks in front of me are constantly on and off their brakes. As others have mentioned, very light pressure on the accelerator will allow the coach to coast without the engine brake engaging...works very well, is easy to do, and allows me to keep the low setting on all the time.
Yeah, I don't want to be THAT guy...lol. I do realize a light pressure on the gas pedal eliminates the brake light but the DX3 coasts so well, it's like I'm on and off the gas...lol.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
It takes a month or more just to get an appointment here, the line at the door starts an hour before they open and it can take three trips to renew a driver license because they tell you or ask you for something different on each trip.
The above is true, except, since I commute to Lake Havasu I just stop in Blythe with no appointment. Usually only takes 5 minutes before I see an agent.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #31

In Nevada you can make an appointment and they are pretty good at keeping the appointment time. Last time I was at the DMV I made an appointment, was seen at the appointment time, and proceeded to register the DX3; total time in the DMV was less than 30 minutes.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #32

In Texas a Class B Exempt is needed due to the weight. I took a written test and a driving test, no mention of air brakes.

Someone just said that their rig's brake lights engage while the engine brake is doing its thing.

My lights do not engage but my buddie's class A does.

Are my brake lights supposed to light up if the engine brake is activated and working?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #33

I don’t think mine too either but I’ll have to pay more attention next time I’m driving at night
Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
In Texas a Class B Exempt is needed due to the weight. I took a written test and a driving test, no mention of air brakes.

Someone just said that their rig's brake lights engage while the engine brake is doing its thing.

My lights do not engage but my buddie's class A does.

Are my brake lights supposed to light up if the engine brake is activated and working?
I haven't noticed if my brake lights come on with jake brake engagement, but you do get the indicator light on the dash board when the jake brake activates on and off. My previous Class A also actuated the brake lights when the exhaust brake activated.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

I do not think it is a requirement, at least federally.. But I know our older city fire trucks do not activate but the newer trucks the brake lights DO come on with the Jake brake.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #36
Eat Pray Love

I use my co-pilot to sw on/off air brakes a lot by voice commands. Dear would you please...…..
tedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedelman View Post
I use my co-pilot to sw on/off air brakes a lot by voice commands. Dear would you please...…..
I got a different model, it doesn’t say dear!

I think it was the nagigator model

😂
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #38

This thread on exhaust-brake use was good. The discussion might be considered in conjunction with Allison’s recommendations on selection of lower gears ranges for different types of driving:

"Highway Driving (Level Terrain) Operating in the Drive mode is recommended when driving in normal highway conditions.""

"Mountainous Driving (Up & Down Terrain) When ascending a grade, gently release pressure on the throttle and select a lower gear range to maintain higher engine rpm. Road speed may decrease, but power (torque) will remain at peak output. When descending a grade, never use a higher gear range than was used ascending the same grade. Selecting a lower gear range will also minimize cycling between ranges on a series of short up and down hills."

"City Driving (Stop & Go Traffic) To maximize performance select the lowest gear range that allows the vehicle to reach the speed you expect to attain between stops. This will minimize cycling between higher ranges and provide better vehicle cooling while driving in stop-and-go conditions."

"Winter Driving (Ice Or Snow) If possible, reduce road speed and select a lower gear range before you lose traction. Select the gear range that will not exceed the speed you expect to maintain. Accelerate or decelerate gradually to prevent losing traction. It is very important to gradually slow down when a lower gear range is selected. It is also important to allow the transmission to reach the lower gear range before attempting to accelerate. This will avoid an unexpected downshift during acceleration."

"Engine Braking Engine braking provides good speed control for going down grades. When the vehicle is heavily loaded or the grade is steep, it may be desirable to preselect a lower range reaching the grade. If engine-governed speed is exceeded, the transmission will upshift automatically to the next range.”

For further details, see advertisement by Allison Transmission in RV Soul, Summer 2018, p. 13 See
https://www.fcocrv.org/wp-content/up...l_Summer18.pdf

In Oregon, Motorhomes do not require a special license to operate.

Thebackpacker
2016 DX3
Thebackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #39

That’s pretty much standard information for any vehicle with automatic transmission and an engine brake. Most RV’s actually have exhaust brakes rather the the true original Jacobs brake. Just saying.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #40

Quote:
I think all air brake equipped vehicles require an air brake endorsement on your drivers licence. To get an air brake endorsement requires a course be taken covering things like you mentioned.

This is the way it is in Canada, pretty sure in the States also.
Not in Nevada if your coach wieght is under 26,001 lbs all you require is a class C. The only time you need and air brake endorsement is if your trailer has air brakes..
lasbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes