Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #61

Latest update from Service Manager, Freightliner is still trying to eliminate the vibration from the drive shaft(s)...they are sending the drive shafts to be rebalanced...

They either changed or adjusted the swing bearings along the drive shaft and it still has the vibration...at least they finally admitted there is a vibration issue...took long enough to convince everyone...first line of defense from ALL Manufacturer's and Dealers "What problem?"...we don't see any issue, you're just a stupid consumer who should take what we sell to you and be grateful that it doesn't vibrate worse than it already does...oh that'll be $265,000.00 and change...

This is after TWO separate shops claim there was no vibration issue to be found...and kept trying to blow smoke up my ar$$...like I stated at the beginning at best MOST of these places are part changers...
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #62

Latest update, Freightliner is saying the frame was possibly extended as well as the drive line and this could be the issue, they are still troubleshooting...ain't life grand...lol...
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Latest update, Freightliner is saying the frame was possibly extended as well as the drive line and this could be the issue, they are still troubleshooting...ain't life grand...lol...
What do they mean by “ extended “? The frame?
Also how, who and why?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #64
Commercial Member

Frame is certainly extended, we extend every frame. Even the Mercedes Sprinter frame is extended... Stock wheelbase is 268". Which is how it remains on the 37BH.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #65

Headed down there right now I’m going to look for myself
Old 09-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #66
Commercial Member

What dealer is it at?

Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #67

Dallas Premier Freightliner south
Old 09-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
What dealer is it at?
He found the vibration from 57-58 to 65 mph...he says it's not as bad as some he's seen but it definitely needs to be removed without any doubt...

Quite a unique but effective process, they pull both rear axles with tires out from the differential so there's no associated vibration from the axles or wheels and tires...

They then run the truck at 60-65mph and use a timing light to balance the drive shafts basically, thats the easiest way to explain it...

They start on the rear shaft and work forward until all the vibration is gone...

Reinstall the axles and tires then test drive to confirm vibration in check...

It would have been a lot easier if this had been done to start with...whoever balanced them that you out sourced it to Brian did not do their job...

And the Driver that drove it with the vibration in it over 1000 miles to the dealer needs a foot in his @$$....I don't care if it is the CEO's son...

P.S. I was told the hood issue was repaired...I measured it while there...1-7/8" on DS and 1-1/4" on PS...Longhorn RV is going to address that with them as well...
Old 09-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #69
Commercial Member

We sub that out to Freightliner.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #70

Quote:
We sub that out to Freightliner.
Thats great because they are eating the bill for not doing it right the first...part changers at best....
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #71

Master Tech at Freightliner ended up having to remove all previous balancing weights on the driveline, was not balanced correctly from the start...

Driveline is now balanced to 0.03, well within tolerance...

Bad News: Vibration is still there only when accelerating now indicating another component is out of spec...

Sr Master Freightliner Tech says he will repair it, just a matter of locating the out of spec component: possibly bent axle or bad bearing alignment or tail shaft bearing

Can you hear me now?...lol....
Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #72

Dang gum. One issue after another. Glad they have master techs on it, not the parts changers.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #73
Commercial Member

Quote:
Master Tech at Freightliner ended up having to remove all previous balancing weights on the driveline, was not balanced correctly from the start...

Driveline is now balanced to 0.03, well within tolerance...

Bad News: Vibration is still there only when accelerating now indicating another component is out of spec...
That tells me it was never the driveline to begin with...but when in doubt, start all over. When I check my sons Algebra homework...they do things differently than when I was a kid, so sometimes I do the whole problem over again, my way, just to confirm his answer as I don't always understand the method they used to get from point A to point B (or his penmanship). But in the end...we have the same answer.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #74

Quote:
That tells me it was never the driveline to begin with...but when in doubt, start all over. When I check my sons Algebra homework...they do things differently than when I was a kid, so sometimes I do the whole problem over again, my way, just to confirm his answer as I don't always understand the method they used to get from point A to point B (or his penmanship). But in the end...we have the same answer.
That's not what the Freightliner Computer said that was plugged into it monitoring while he drove it for over 20 miles through 55-65 mph...the computer indicates where the vibration is from, it stated the driveline...

He then tried to balance the driveline with the original balancing weights that were on the drive line from factory, he couldn't get it to balance or within spec using magnets, had to pull the original weights all off and completely rebalance from scratch...spec before he balanced with factory weights was over 0.2+ (out of spec) indicating a balance issue on the driveline, after he rebalanced 0.03 well within spec...

It will also indicate while driving if it is a wheel balance issue...

He did confirm alignment of the driveline was within spec with engine/tranny...

Will update once he finds the additional culprit...

Hopefully I'll be able to use my RV twice within the first year of ownership...a real bummer...got more miles on it between Dealership and Freightliner than I do using it to camp...at my expense and also piling the miles on a new RV...ain't life grand?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #75
Commercial Member

Quote:
That's not what the Freightliner Computer said that was plugged into while he drove it for over 20 miles through 55-65 mph...the computer indicates where the vibration is from, it stated the driveline...he then found the driveline out of spec and unable to balance it even after removing both rear axles...
The computer at the local Freightliner dealer said it was within spec. Computers like people are fickle things

Trying to see if I can get the print out...if there is one.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #76

Quote:
The computer at the local Freightliner dealer said it was within spec. Computers like people are fickle things
Yeah, his did too while it was in the shop on the rack...it didn't indicate a problem...then he read my observations from driving the unit, he immediately got out on the road with it to see what I was talking about...he is a REAL mechanic...not a part changer

Once he got it out on the road and drove at the speeds I had indicated it confirmed what I said ALL along (driveline imbalance)...he drove it over 20 miles to confirm the issue several times...on different road ways, and accelerating the unit thru 55-65mph causing the vibration, each time it would indicate driveline imbalance...

There are Part Changers that do it in the shop under a roof and get a spec reading, but DO NOT get off there @$$ and test it out on the road like a REAL mechanic would...thats when he found the issue...
Old 09-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #77

His name is Jason Bolton, Sr Master Tech at Premier Freightliner South Dallas, he works at the Oasis, thats where the RV's are all worked on...
Old 09-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #78

Frame issues Dynamax XL

Interested in what they find. Have a similar issue but with a Ram 5500. Driveline vibration between 50-65 MPH. Truck shop rebalanced the shafts and checked the geometry but didn't solve the problem. After lots of agg found a Ram dealer willing to look at it. They confirmed the issue and jacked up the rear and listened to the rear gears while it ran, found the same noise/vibration we heard in the coach and submitted to have the rear replaced. That was in April...Unfortunately it was never done as Ram felt it wasn't a problem. Had it on 2 trips since, one though the mountains of PA. Now it's louder and does it from 40-65 MPH
Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #79
Site Team

The site team has deleted recent posts here that are against the site guidelines. We are going to need to close it for further review.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
frame