Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Fridge problems

Just got in to Tucson AZ. And my fridge has died. Two blinking lights on the temperature control are blinking and the fridge is not cooling. The owners manual says that it has overheated and needs to be taken in for service. I read several threads on the forum about the thermal fuse reset but it does not push in or make a difference. I've checked the fuses and all are ok. It was still cold when we got here but when we opened the door before we plugged in the inside light did not come on and the led's were blinking. I plugged in the coach and turned it off and back on. It does light up when the door is opened now but it's not cooling. We're 2000 miles from home with a fridge full of food. Any help? Coach is only 2 months old and systems seem to be failing Left and right. Still having converter problems, buzzing and one battery overheating but I can live with that until I can get back to Elkhart. We don't like to eat out so the fridge is a necessity. Please help.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:05 AM   #2

As a quick fix to save food, I'd put it in an ice chest/cooler with lots of ice. Consider dry ice if need be but keep it from touching the food. Remember cold air goes down.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #3

Also have you tried running it on propane? Turn off all power to the RV then try propane.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I assume this is not the first time you have used the fridge...but just in case,

Make sure that the fridge vents are clear. I saw a couple of units that were taped off for paint and the tape was not pulled off. Normally just doesn't cool.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Site Team

I'm not sure which fridge you have, but there are two fuses in the thermal fuse circuit. The thermo-fuse that's on the side of the flue and the thermal fuse that's in series with the wiring to the thermo-fuse.

Since pressing the reset button on the thermo-fuse didn't work try finding the thermal fuse (it'll look like a piece of fat wire and the small metal part will look like a diode.) You can twist the wires on each end if it together temporarily to test the unit to see if it works then.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Commercial Member

a long time ago and far far away. That thermal fuse on the flue, was getting installed too close to the seam of the flue. I think that was like 8-9 years ago. Caused the same issue as the seam would get hotter than the rest. I don't know if the recalled them or just moved the fuse...but, worth a shot.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #7

Fridge

Found a Dometic repair facility in Tucson and they checked it out today. He ordered a part under warranty and I paid to have it overnighted to the repair shop. Part should be in tomorrow and they will install it on Friday. Hopefully it will all work out and we can continue our trip.

Just ran the rear slide out and the wiring track wound it self up into a ball and broke in half. The fun continues.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Those wire tracks under the slides are reported broken a lot here.

When ours breaks I'm going to replace it with a small piece of energy chain. They should come with that anyway, but it would cost 12¢ more.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Fridge

What is energy chain?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Bama Rambler...Bill has a different slide out mechanism. He's got an in-wall slide, the motor wires run up the outside edge of the slides.

Bill, what he is referring to is a slide out that has plumbing or 110V in it and there is a BIG plastic bike chain looking thing that gently guides the plumbing and/or wires in and out when the slide goes in and out. Fairly common when those get misaligned or sag to break. You don't have that on the rear slide.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #11

Fridge

Mine has a plastic chain looking thing that the wires run in. I googled energy chain and that's what I have that is broken. I had to remove it to move the slide in and out. I feed the wires while Carol pushes the button. I'm not sure what the permanent fix is. Maybe there's a better quality chain or more secure installation. There was just one screw on the end holding it and it ripped itself out of that.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Sounds like something got in a bind. If you post some pictures I can talk to my guys. Might be as simple as screwing it back in place. or not. Let's take a look.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Site Team

I was mistaken in the type support you have. What you have is energy chain.

They make several grades of it and that application needs a different grade/style than is normally supplied with the units. They make grades and styles for high speed and high load applications, and while the RV slideout application isn't high speed or high load the installation method needs a little higher load rating than installed on the units.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Fridge

I'll have them fix it on my next trip to Elkhart. I'll just add it to the latest list of needed repairs. Stopping in Elkhart has become a permanent addition to my itinerary. I think I'll like this coach if I can get past the poor workmanship of the builders. Your men in the repair facility should hold training classes for the factory workers on proper installation procedures.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #15
Commercial Member

We actually have Greg provide feedback any time there is an issue, directly to the line.

In their defense most of the issues seem to have been supplier related. Slide leak is on us. Satellite was a bad connection on their end, bad battery. I'll have to take a look at the cable tray.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #16

Fridge

List of issues since purchase August 25th.
Navigation system blinks on and off over bumps
Rear slide leaks
Water leak from outside shower
Front end vibration, no wheel weights on aluminum wheels.
Satellite dish inoperative
Bad battery
Another bad battery and possible converter overcharging
miscellaneous striped cabinet screws
The fridge
Construction debris popping up here and there
Cable to connect outside tv to short
Tv to antenna connection seems to be lost, will not pick up any tv stations even in a large metropolitan area. (This is new today)
USB outlets in bedroom were inoperative.
Suspension issues. Added sumo springs and Bilstein shocks
That's all I can think of right now.
Believe it or not I still love this coach. Fortunately I'm retired so I can keep bringing back to Greg for repairs. I'm confident we will eventually turn this into a trouble free (as any rv can be) motor home. I'm not new at this as this is my 7th rv. I want this to be my last one as it suits us perfectly.
Thanks for listening.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
List of issues since purchase August 25th.
Navigation system blinks on and off over bumps
Rear slide leaks
Water leak from outside shower
Front end vibration, no wheel weights on aluminum wheels.
Satellite dish inoperative
Bad battery
Another bad battery and possible converter overcharging
miscellaneous striped cabinet screws
The fridge
Construction debris popping up here and there
Cable to connect outside tv to short
Tv to antenna connection seems to be lost, will not pick up any tv stations even in a large metropolitan area. (This is new today)
USB outlets in bedroom were inoperative.
Suspension issues. Added sumo springs and Bilstein shocks
That's all I can think of right now.
Believe it or not I still love this coach. Fortunately I'm retired so I can keep bringing back to Greg for repairs. I'm confident we will eventually turn this into a trouble free (as any rv can be) motor home. I'm not new at this as this is my 7th rv. I want this to be my last one as it suits us perfectly.
Thanks for listening.
OMG I'm reading this list and starting to get freaked out. Just ordered an Isata 5 30fw, which will be my 3rd RV and although I realize every coach has issues when you first get them, hopefully they are minor and easily dealt with. But your list is excessive and long!! Not sure I'd be so calm about it! I wouldn't have time to keep taking it in like that, nor do I live anywhere near Elkhart. I don't see anywhere which coach you have. But they are all made at the same place, right? So now I'm a little scared.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #18

Fridge

Please do not be afraid. This is an excellent company that is trying very hard to put out a quality product. I would not be afraid to purchase another vehicle from them. They stand behind there product like no other company I've encountered. Admittedly I've had too many problems with this coach but as stated by Brian a lot of them are vender issues. All the manufacturers use the same stuff so a least in this instance having an company with a high standard of integrity is all you can hope for. Enjoy your new coach and stay in touch.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

I think its important to point out that like Mr. Clemens said, a lot of these issues are supplier or 3rd party issues - which can happen in any RV. Many of my first year bugs have been the same in nature with our Isata 3. The one time it was a Dynamax issue, they had me fixed at the factory in less than 24 hours.
slimetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #20

Fridge update

Part came in today and is installed. Did not fix the problem. Found an inline thermal fuse hidden in the wiring harness and found it to be blown. Of course no one around here has one so I ordered from Amazon for delivery on Monday. When we bypassed fuse the fridge fired up just fine. I don't want to run it without a fuse, so we'll wait. Whats another couple days in Tucson. It looks pretty cold at home so what the hay.

Tags
fridge