Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Generator Exhaust

Has anyone use the GenTuri exhaust system to get the generator exhaust above the coach? When boondocking that is probably my biggest irritation right now...it's the smell not so much the noise. With the windows open and the fans on the fumes get drawn inside the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Tur...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
Has anyone use the GenTuri exhaust system to get the generator exhaust above the coach? When boondocking that is probably my biggest irritation right now...it's the smell not so much the noise. With the windows open and the fans on the fumes get drawn inside the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Tur...-1-spons&psc=1
I'm pretty sure TitanMike has posted photos/video of using something like that to get his generator exhaust above the R/V.

I'll see if I can find his post(s)...

See post # 19

And post # 15232

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

I have a GenTuri for "just in case". I put it on when I start up the gennie in the driveway and the DW is working in the motor home. Works as advertised. [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

I have one as well, works great.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #5

I've used one and works well. Does help a little with exhaust noise. Not so much mechanical noise.

Not tried it with the new coach yet since you use a special exhaust adapter and haven't wanted to take the nice chrome exhaust tip off the generator yet.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I have one as well, works great.
Do you use the suction cups to mount the stack? I don't want to put any holes in my coach or mess up the paint....
Old 07-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

I used the suction cups on the toy hauler. Even had an extra section to get above the roof. Had no problem. The adapter on exhaust pipe definitely doesn't look as nice as the factory chrome tip. Just getting the I5 ready to go. Might be an issue with the door on the electronics/battery bay going full open. Haven't used the genturi on the motor home yet.
2016 JKUR
MToffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
I've used one and works well. Does help a little with exhaust noise. Not so much mechanical noise.

Not tried it with the new coach yet since you use a special exhaust adapter and haven't wanted to take the nice chrome exhaust tip off the generator yet.
Just get an extra adapter and install the chrome tip on it. Might have to purchase a short piece of the right sized exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop (or maybe they'll give you a free piece of scrap). Then you can change from GenTuri to Chrome tip, merely swapping by pulling/reinstalling pin.

To the OP, it sure does get the "fumes" up and away from the RV which not only alleviates the smell, it also makes sure that Carbon Monoxide is dissipated away from windows. The GenTuri not only directs the exhaust gases away, they are greatly diluted by the excess air drawn in at the bottom of the stack. This excess air also keeps the stack cool enough to touch even though the generator may have been running at full power for hours. Just beware because the metal elbow will be hotter than the dickens.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
Do you use the suction cups to mount the stack? I don't want to put any holes in my coach or mess up the paint....
Mine came with adhesive mounts that I stuck on the wall.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

I got the system but rarely use it. I didn’t notice any difference in noise level. The only time we start the generator is for quick rest stops while traveling, and they are so short I’m not gonna take the time to hook up the system.

If I need extended generator use I’ll start up the Hondas which will run continuously for five days on the same amount of fuel the Onan uses in a day.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I got the system but rarely use it. I didn’t notice any difference in noise level. The only time we start the generator is for quick rest stops while traveling, and they are so short I’m not gonna take the time to hook up the system.

If I need extended generator use I’ll start up the Hondas which will run continuously for five days on the same amount of fuel the Onan uses in a day.
We have diesel generators, a different animal all together. I dry camp for a month at a time and use the generator occasionally to keep the battery’s up when cloudy and solar not keeping up or to recharge after running the furnace a lot. The diesel hardly uses any fuel at all. I can’t imagine having to carry extra generators.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
We have diesel generators, a different animal all together. I dry camp for a month at a time and use the generator occasionally to keep the battery’s up when cloudy and solar not keeping up or to recharge after running the furnace a lot. The diesel hardly uses any fuel at all. I can’t imagine having to carry extra generators.
Don’t know about diesel units but the Onan I have uses ½ gallon per hour. That’s 12 gallons a day. The dual Honda units use six gallons over 40 hours.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Don’t know about diesel units but the Onan I have uses ½ gallon per hour. That’s 12 gallons a day. The dual Honda units use six gallons over 40 hours.
Honda definitely has the best and quietest generators on the market. I only wish more people would use them in campgrounds instead of the cheap noisy ones. The gas Onans Aren't to bad when built into a coach.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #14

Cannot use my generator because it discharges under the full wall slide on my i3 and fills the rv with gas. Used a gen-Turi on my old Navion. I could attach it to the ladder. I have the Gen-Turi but have yet figured out how to install. Just another problem to solve. Cannot figure out how Dynamax engineering was thinking. The generator also has an unbearable droning noise so I agree with BD - why do I need to use it anyway - only on cloudy days.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
Cannot use my generator because it discharges under the full wall slide on my i3 and fills the rv with gas. Used a gen-Turi on my old Navion. I could attach it to the ladder. I have the Gen-Turi but have yet figured out how to install. Just another problem to solve. Cannot figure out how Dynamax engineering was thinking. The generator also has an unbearable droning noise so I agree with BD - why do I need to use it anyway - only on cloudy days.
I would reroute the exhaust away from the slide. Mine on the RW exited on the passenger side. I moved it to the drivers side and added a muffler. I also added sound deadener to the generator housing. I just wanted it away from the outdoor living space.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #16

Bill, what kind of muffler and sound dampers did you use? I need to relocate the exhaust pipe and find a way to reduce the noise, you get a chance! Thanks
theo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo45 View Post
Bill, what kind of muffler and sound dampers did you use? I need to relocate the exhaust pipe and find a way to reduce the noise, you get a chance! Thanks
Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45AE0935-AF3B-4B30-A581-93B02C0FF095.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	208967   Click image for larger version

Name:	01FB5F64-1840-42E3-8BAE-4D720F8DF615.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	208968  
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #18

I’ve used the Genturi for three seasons of Gator Football tailgating. We cannot run the genset without it. Is makes it quieter, eliminates the exhaust smell and does help with the heat too. A great help when your tailgating on asphalt all weekend.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator