Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Generator oil change trouble 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timf1959 View Post
Brass door to get to oil filter is blocked by frame.... do you have to unbolt the gen and slide it yourself.....
Same problem as in: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ds-183879.html

How did you resolve this? My access door is covered about an 1/8". Put some oil on the mounting screws to penetrate the rust. Hopefully can loosen and move the generator in the frame enough to open door. I also have the top access door behind the slide so I cannot see the coolant level or add coolant or oil without a pump.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

If you can take the 2 screws out with releasing the latch and remove the brass door, then just take the 12 small bolts out that hold the front cover on of the generator.

Gives better access to the filters, especially if the oil filter is a bit stubborn.

You can also see the coolant level easier with the cover off.

As far as fill, I use a small hand pump for both oil and coolant. Just a tad slower. It's a tight space.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
If you can take the 2 screws out with releasing the latch and remove the brass door, then just take the 12 small bolts out that hold the front cover on of the generator.

Gives better access to the filters, especially if the oil filter is a bit stubborn.

As far as fill, I use a small hand pump for both oil and coolant. Just a tad slower. It's a tight space.

Glad to see this thread - I am going to take off my front cover - it makes sense that for a small amount of boot removal greater access would be great - it is frustrating that the easy access cover is not easy access - but oh well - I want to see if any other responses would enlighten me further so I thought I would comment so I receive notifications - thanks for posting
Old 11-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

I can not get the screws out that hold the hinge. On the I5 access from the bay door is not as good as the DX. I can not see/access all the screws that hold the front panel on. I can get at the bottom and right side. When I look in manual there appears to be screws in the top that I can not get to.

Went under again. Loosened the front latches on the access port, pulled down one corner and was able to pry sideways and get open. The hinges have enough play to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	219502  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
TRN

Great to see, I did to an oil change the other day by sucking out the old oil and adding new. I was able to get the bottom cover off completely by unscrewing the fixed end, but the filter wrench I had wouldn't grab the filter. I did order an end wrench and was planning on changing the filter this weekend, think I'll pull the front off to make it easier.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post

Agreed! ^^ Just take the cover off of the generator. The filter is much easier to get to.

Tags
generator