Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #1

Getting heat in my REV?

I was not able to get heat in my REV the other day so I need to know what I am not doing or what I should do.

The REV was plugged in to shore power and the battery switch was on.

First I tried the heat strip in the air conditioner but it only blew air, it did not heat it. I had the knob in the "heat" position. It was about 60 at the time.

Then I tried the Truma heater and it sounded like it made a brief noise but nothing after that. I tried it with the propane off at first and then on. I noticed the noise when the propane was on. I don't know if it made the noise when the propane was off. The noise sounded like a fan to me. I do have the Truma unit plugged into AC now; it was not plugged in at delivery.

Does the inverter need to be on? I had it off and didn't think of that until I left the coach.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
GM

No, no inverter needed.

The Truma is really, really quiet. It also typically doesn't start blowing until the heat is up to temp. It is NOTHING like the normal 30k LP RV furnace. On low speed, you can't even hear it.

If all else fails, Truma has really good tech support. I'll walk out on the line, see if I can track a REV down and get it working on A/C, just to see if there are steps missing.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
GM

At the 5:30 mark is the furnace instructions.

https://www.truma.com/us/en/heating/videos.php
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Thanks. My Internet was down until a few minutes ago. I hope to watch video later today.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:

I am getting an error code, 212.

I will try to call Truma this week.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
No, no inverter needed.

The Truma is really, really quiet. It also typically doesn't start blowing until the heat is up to temp. It is NOTHING like the normal 30k LP RV furnace. On low speed, you can't even hear it.

If all else fails, Truma has really good tech support. I'll walk out on the line, see if I can track a REV down and get it working on A/C, just to see if there are steps missing.
You were correct, the Truma tech support is excellent and a live lady answered on the second ring. She talked me through the process and all is almost well. It is very quiet just like you said.

The heater now works BUT it seems the two vents under the sofa are either closed or not hooked up. I don't see a way to open or close them so i am guessing they are not hooked up.

At my PDI I noticed the vent hose to the forward vent was disconnected and the salesman attached it. Perhaps it fell off ? Or they are not attached to the heater?

Is this a PIA trip to my dealer or is there a better solution?

Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
GM

It should be a very simple slip fitting or pipe strap. If you start to jack knife the sofa (but not fully laid down), you should be able to get the front kick plate off, or at least loose to see the hoses under there. The combo is under the coach and should be readily accessible (if just a tad awkward to get to). They're either disconnected or kinked.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
It should be a very simple slip fitting or pipe strap. If you start to jack knife the sofa (but not fully laid down), you should be able to get the front kick plate off, or at least loose to see the hoses under there. The combo is under the coach and should be readily accessible (if just a tad awkward to get to). They're either disconnected or kinked.
OK, I didn't think about moving the front kick plate. I am not sure how it is attached but maybe I can figure it out.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
GM

Should be a J-hook on the top. Basically there is a square steel tub that runs the length of the sofa, just under the front edge. The kick plate hooks onto that, so it should be easy to lift up and off. The hoses (may or may not) be attached so you can't pull it too far away.

Or when they hooked them up, and then put the kick plate back on, I wonder if stuffing it all in there it got kinked. Should be simple to find out.

You can also hang upside down off the back of the sofa and peer in from there
Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Should be a J-hook on the top. Basically there is a square steel tub that runs the length of the sofa, just under the front edge. The kick plate hooks onto that, so it should be easy to lift up and off. The hoses (may or may not) be attached so you can't pull it too far away.

Or when they hooked them up, and then put the kick plate back on, I wonder if stuffing it all in there it got kinked. Should be simple to find out.

You can also hang upside down off the back of the sofa and peer in from there
Well so far I have not been able to get a look at the hoses. Lack of an assistant and an October warm spell are my excuses.