Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #1

Getting heat in my REV?

I was not able to get heat in my REV the other day so I need to know what I am not doing or what I should do.

The REV was plugged in to shore power and the battery switch was on.

First I tried the heat strip in the air conditioner but it only blew air, it did not heat it. I had the knob in the "heat" position. It was about 60º at the time.

Then I tried the Truma heater and it sounded like it made a brief noise but nothing after that. I tried it with the propane off at first and then on. I noticed the noise when the propane was on. I don't know if it made the noise when the propane was off. The noise sounded like a fan to me. I do have the Truma unit plugged into AC now; it was not plugged in at delivery.

Does the inverter need to be on? I had it off and didn't think of that until I left the coach.

Thanks,

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Commercial Member

No, no inverter needed.

The Truma is really, really quiet. It also typically doesn't start blowing until the heat is up to temp. It is NOTHING like the normal 30k LP RV furnace. On low speed, you can't even hear it.

If all else fails, Truma has really good tech support. I'll walk out on the line, see if I can track a REV down and get it working on A/C, just to see if there are steps missing.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
Commercial Member

At the 5:30 mark is the furnace instructions.

https://www.truma.com/us/en/heating/videos.php

Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Thanks. My Internet was down until a few minutes ago. I hope to watch video later today.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:

I am getting an error code, 212.

I will try to call Truma this week.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
No, no inverter needed.

The Truma is really, really quiet. It also typically doesn't start blowing until the heat is up to temp. It is NOTHING like the normal 30k LP RV furnace. On low speed, you can't even hear it.

If all else fails, Truma has really good tech support. I'll walk out on the line, see if I can track a REV down and get it working on A/C, just to see if there are steps missing.
You were correct, the Truma tech support is excellent and a live lady answered on the second ring. She talked me through the process and all is almost well. It is very quiet just like you said.

The heater now works BUT it seems the two vents under the sofa are either closed or not hooked up. I don't see a way to open or close them so i am guessing they are not hooked up.

At my PDI I noticed the vent hose to the forward vent was disconnected and the salesman attached it. Perhaps it fell off ? Or they are not attached to the heater?

Is this a PIA trip to my dealer or is there a better solution?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Commercial Member

It should be a very simple slip fitting or pipe strap. If you start to jack knife the sofa (but not fully laid down), you should be able to get the front kick plate off, or at least loose to see the hoses under there. The combo is under the coach and should be readily accessible (if just a tad awkward to get to). They're either disconnected or kinked.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
It should be a very simple slip fitting or pipe strap. If you start to jack knife the sofa (but not fully laid down), you should be able to get the front kick plate off, or at least loose to see the hoses under there. The combo is under the coach and should be readily accessible (if just a tad awkward to get to). They're either disconnected or kinked.
OK, I didn't think about moving the front kick plate. I am not sure how it is attached but maybe I can figure it out.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Should be a J-hook on the top. Basically there is a square steel tub that runs the length of the sofa, just under the front edge. The kick plate hooks onto that, so it should be easy to lift up and off. The hoses (may or may not) be attached so you can't pull it too far away.

Or when they hooked them up, and then put the kick plate back on, I wonder if stuffing it all in there it got kinked. Should be simple to find out.

You can also hang upside down off the back of the sofa and peer in from there

Old 10-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Should be a J-hook on the top. Basically there is a square steel tub that runs the length of the sofa, just under the front edge. The kick plate hooks onto that, so it should be easy to lift up and off. The hoses (may or may not) be attached so you can't pull it too far away.

Or when they hooked them up, and then put the kick plate back on, I wonder if stuffing it all in there it got kinked. Should be simple to find out.

You can also hang upside down off the back of the sofa and peer in from there
Well so far I have not been able to get a look at the hoses. Lack of an assistant and an October warm spell are my excuses.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Heat vent photos

I was able to take some half decent photos of the heat vent hoses under my sofa.

The first photo shows the vent hose to the vent at the drivers end of the sofa. It looks to me like the vent hose clamp is too far back from the vent. No heat is coming out of this vent but I can feel hot air blowing under the sofa seat when I stick my hand in that cavity. So it may have not been installed correctly. No air was coming out of this vent at my PDI and the salesman slipped the hose back on and we felt some air flow. I assume it came off again.

The second photo is looking straight down at the hose that I believe is connected to the vent in the center of the sofa kick plate. It looks like both vents are on the same hose run. It also looks like there is a gap in the hose. I don't know what is is supposed to look like.

The third photo is also of the hose that runs along the front kick plate. Is that a tear in the hose? It is difficult to see but maybe a knowledgable person will know.

I hope these photos appear in the order that I uploaded them.

Bobby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	driver end sofa vent.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	123645   Click image for larger version

Name:	center sofa vent 2.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	123646   Click image for larger version

Name:	center sofa vent 3.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	123647  

Old 10-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

one more photo

It looks like this heater hose that comes from the Truma heater to the front of the sofa is partially collapsed when crossing over that piece of wood. I don't know if there is a cut out for the hose or if it is just laying on top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vent crush 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	123677  

Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Here's the other thing. In Europe...Tuma just uses a silver/metallic heater hose. For whatever reason in the US...inspectors are making us cover that hose in an insulated material. So the black part that you see, is the outer covering. Inside of that is a metallic hose...so the inside could be collapsed more than the outside (if that makes sense). Probably need to pull that hose length off and make sure it did not get crushed. Might be able to un-crush or get a new length of hose.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Here's the other thing. In Europe...Tuma just uses a silver/metallic heater hose. For whatever reason in the US...inspectors are making us cover that hose in an insulated material. So the black part that you see, is the outer covering. Inside of that is a metallic hose...so the inside could be collapsed more than the outside (if that makes sense). Probably need to pull that hose length off and make sure it did not get crushed. Might be able to un-crush or get a new length of hose.
Thanks for your reply.

I may have to bite the bullet and go to my dealer. I will give it another try or two before I do that.

In this photo I have an arrow pointing at the hose clamp. This is the hose that goes to the vent on the sofa end near the drivers seat. Can you tell if the clamp is in the proper position? It seems to me to be too far back from the vent. Nothing comes out of that vent but I can feel lots of blowing warm air in that area under the sofa.

And for fun, any idea what that red tube is at the top of the photo? It is just a short piece of tube just laying there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	driver end sofa vent 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	123859  

Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Commercial Member

That little clamp should only be holding on the insulation around the hose so I don't believe that is the issue. Have you checked where that hose connects to the combi itself?

As for the little red tube, that is just a piece of pex pipe. It isn't attached to anything is it?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
zgipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgipson View Post
That little clamp should only be holding on the insulation around the hose so I don't believe that is the issue. Have you checked where that hose connects to the combi itself?

As for the little red tube, that is just a piece of pex pipe. It isn't attached to anything is it?
After a few more minutes of investigation it may be that the problem lies where the vent hose goes over that wood as seen in the photo in #12 of this conversation. From the outside, I was able to lift up on the hose a little but I did not have good leverage.

I will try to get something stiffer under the hose to keep it from crushing. Hopefully there is enough slack so I don't disconnect it from the heater. I will try a short piece of 4" flexible drainage pipe.

I am wondering if the wood in question was cut a little too long. Others with this same model may have the same issue. In which case my dealer may be familiar with a fix since I believe they have sold a few of these.

The red tube is probably a piece of PEX as you stated. It is not connected to anything.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgipson View Post

The hoses appear to be connected to the heater. It looks there are three connected although I saw a diagram that shows four heat openings. I am hoping the 4th one is closed.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #18

I have heat coming out of all vents !

My wife was able to reach and push the heat hoses onto the vents under the sofa. The center one was not attached at all and the end one was barely attached. Once she did the above we were almost sweating.

Now we will see if the hoses stay on the heat vents. Plan on taking a ride tomorrow.

I have not yet addressed what appears to be the scrunched hose coming from the heater to the sofa vents.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #19

Truma heater on electric. PURE PLEASURE

It is a pure pleasure to be able to use the Truma heater while on shore power. No gas, just electric.

That has eliminated the need for a portable heater and the Truma easily heats the entire RV living area in a few minutes.

The overhead air conditioner has heat strips but they are not working but now that I have heat from the Truma that lack of heat from above is a non issue. I will have the dealer look at it when I eventually take the REV back to have an additional step installed under the passenger side cab door.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #20

Regarding the heater hose that runs from the heater to the vents under the sofa. I was concerned that the hose was partially crushed as per previous photos in this thread.

My wife was able to get far enough under the sofa to move the hose. She states that the hose is not crushed and that the hose is not sitting on the wood I mentioned in previous posts in this thread.

My apologies for thinking that someone at Dynamax screwed up on this issue.

Bobby