Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #1

Governor Setting

Brian-I seem to be having a difficult time climbing 3-4% grades. In mode 1, gear 1 - this rig struggles up a hill (getting out of the RV Park I am at). I'll take picture of the hill and post it. But, I am thinking, the governor might need adjustment. Currently, my rig weights in at 27k plus 5k w/trailer.

Mike
2016 Force HD
Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Had a similar situation in the Virginia mountains yesterday. I am thinking my transmission needs adjusting. Would be interested to hear about governor adjustment too.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Something seems off to me. On my trip out west I weighed in at 36k and didnt have problems getting through the mountains on I70 (albeit at reduced speed in 4th gear). In 1st gear the thing pulls like there's nothing there.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I'll ask Freightliner.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Their first thought is to check and see if the unit is getting full throttle.
If there is extra carpet and or a thick floor mat under the throttle petal.

The Allison transmission in 1st gear has a lot of torque. Are they manually selecting 1st gear or are they in (D)?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #6

I have nothing but carpet under the pedal. Your right, I should have a substantial amount of torque in Mode 1, Gear 1, especially when climbing a small grade hill. Here, when climbing the small grade hill in M1,G1, the pedal is floored and the tachometer is just above 1.1-1.3. I'm going to get my generator oil changed tomorrow in prep for a FL trip; I will record the event and provide the video.

Mike
2016 Force HD
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Well, I tried to video going up the hill with Apple 6+. It turns out I am not an adept camera man. I will try again another time.

Mike
2016 Force HD
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
Commercial Member

in any event, some diagnostics might be in order from a Freightliner facility. Should be able to get into the Allison manual. They no longer print manuals (and or course won't give us a pdf version), but if you have a serial number you can register and get access.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #9

Modern diesel engines are all computer control so it is not just a matter of changing governor settings it requires hooking up a laptop to your unit and setting all the engine and transmission controls within manufacturers limits to give you optimum performance for what you are using your unit for.As an example you can set high idle , shift points and even top speed if you want to. any freight liner dealer should be able to do this.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

I'm going to start towing my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel.. we'll see how well this 8.9 litre does...
Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #11

Clogged fuel filters can cause reduced power. Fueling your vehicle while the station is getting fuel can lead to clogged fuel filters and reduced power in as little as on fill up. Throttle position indicator would be the second thing I looked at.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

I have added Cetane additive the last four fill-ups. My yellow engine light went away from the trip down to Pensacola, FL, and I have better engine performance. After a deeper dive into the manuals, this engine needs 45 Cetane. The Cetane reading at the truck stops I have been too are ~40. However, I have not tried getting up the hill yet out of this travel camp... I suspect this baby will do better climbing up it with the trailer.

Mike
2016 Force HD