Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Señor Miembro

Grey water overflow?

Is there a grey water tank overflow pipe somewhere?
We kept running our clothes washer trying to re-create the water leak we experienced inside only to find a funky smell inside the MH the next day. Finally found the funky water dripping off the tank overtop of the Aquahot area so we dumped the gray tank in our back yard. Do we have a new leak with that now too or is there an over flow up there somewhere that just didn't get lead down and out underneath?
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
Commercial Member

There is no gray water overflow, but if you overfill it enough, it will find a way out...somewhere, never a good thing. I have seen the drain line get kinked on the washer...it could crack that if left long enough...but not sure if the leak is in the same area.

I recall you saying a leak, but I can't remember what it was...I thought you said it was the black tank vacuum breaker?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

Typically the overflow for the gray tank is the shower drain as it is typically at the lowest point of gray water tank input. Although, some installs incorporate an inline non backflow type trap.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #4

Bob,
I had a similar issue on my Isata 5. The grey tank vent pulled out of the tank when the top of the tank buckled a little bit. There is a rubber grommet in the top of the tank that the pipe fits into and when the top of the tank gets pulled down the pipe pulls out leaving a place for the water to escape. It's an easy fix once you can get to it.

This may or may not be the problem but what I did to isolate it was to drain the black tank and fill the grey tank with water. Then go drive around a little and see if there is water showing up anywhere.

Hope it's an easy fix for you! Washington State rocks! Even if you are on the west side.....
Old 08-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratbros View Post
Bob,
I had a similar issue on my Isata 5. The grey tank vent pulled out of the tank when the top of the tank buckled a little bit. There is a rubber grommet in the top of the tank that the pipe fits into and when the top of the tank gets pulled down the pipe pulls out leaving a place for the water to escape. It's an easy fix once you can get to it.

This may or may not be the problem but what I did to isolate it was to drain the black tank and fill the grey tank with water. Then go drive around a little and see if there is water showing up anywhere.

Hope it's an easy fix for you! Washington State rocks! Even if you are on the west side.....
We never had that issue with the DX3 tanks...it was only on the tank we used on the 5 series.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
Señor Miembro

So any good tips for trying to figure out where it was leaking?
Do I just re-overfill the grey water tank with a little radioactive dye in it like the HVAC guys have?
Or maybe an infra-red camera will show where the leak is.

The only place I saw it was dripping off the tank into the basement storage cabinet below.

The whole cabin reeked though. The smell is gone now that I drained the grey water tank, thankfully.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
Commercial Member

1. I would not overfill the gray tank. Especially if that is the only way to get it to leak.
2. If you cannot find the source and can't get it to leak on demand, then I would say keep it from over-filling and let the dealer handle it.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Señor Miembro

Roger, Wilco
Old 03-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #9
Señor Miembro

Well Appleway RV fixed one leak they said they found (in an area where I wasn't aware of any leak under the bunk beds) but it still seems to over flow up behind the clothes washer and drips out the plumbing/wiring hole in the ceiling of the wet bay compartment.

Also, weirdly, I can fill both the kitchen sink and bathroom sink and shower until the water backs up in each. But how can the sinks, being hire than the shower drain, hold water that high?

BC, should I just take it to another dealer? B. Young RV is near by. I'm not up for another 14 hour round trip to Appleway.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
Well Appleway RV fixed one leak they said they found (in an area where I wasn't aware of any leak under the bunk beds) but it still seems to over flow up behind the clothes washer and drips out the plumbing/wiring hole in the ceiling of the wet bay compartment.

Also, weirdly, I can fill both the kitchen sink and bathroom sink and shower until the water backs up in each. But how can the sinks, being hire than the shower drain, hold water that high?

BC, should I just take it to another dealer? B. Young RV is near by. I'm not up for another 14 hour round trip to Appleway.
Some showers do not have a typical J trap. They have a special one way trap that allows water to flow out but not in. This keeps the tank odor out also. I don’t remember the name for these traps so perhaps another member will chime in..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Some showers do not have a typical J trap. They have a special one way trap that allows water to flow out but not in. This keeps the tank odor out also. I don’t remember the name for these traps so perhaps another member will chime in..
Waterless P-trap - HepvO:

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Is it possible that the sink in the bathroom drains into the black tank? Ours does and it helps flush out the black water tank because adding water though our toilet would take forever.
As to the kitchen sink, I have no clue. There must be some type of one way drain on that shower.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what is going on...are you overfilling everything to try and load the entire system? Did no one pull the washer and dryer to check for a leak there?

To add what others have said, the shower we typically use a HEPVO valve instead of a regular P-trap.

Lastly, as we have said from the start, you can take this wherever you want. Originally you stated that you like to make your own repairs and we said we would gladly send whatever parts you needed. Then you asked about using your mobile tech and if we would reimburse, we said yes to that as well. We tried to get into B Young but I was told you were not confident in their ability to help you which is the only reason we sent you to Appleway beause I knew the owner and we get 99.9% positive feedback from customers there.

My original notes said that you could not "recreate the leak" that you said you had from the first trip. So what exactly are you doing to re-create the leak now?

Old 03-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
The HepvO is really more like a check valve than a P-trap. Watch the video I posted above, if you haven't already.

So I can easily see why water isn't backing up into the shower.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, water