Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 PM   #1

Angry Having trouble with Equalizer Leveling System-Major Trouble

I have a 2018 Isata 5--30FW I was camping last night had the leveling jacks down everything seemed to be OK. Got up this AM put the Equalizer system on to retract all 4 jacks, the system came on and did it's normal thing, motor running, after about 1.5 mins all the red lights went off and the peeping alarm went off just like every time before. I drove off thinking everything was OK to go. I stopped at Walmart after about 65 miles of driving, when walking to my rig I noticed that the two front leveling jacks had only come up about half way! The two rear jacks where all the way up. Long story short I had help getting/forcing the two front jacks up but it took some doing! I called Equalizer systems for help and their bottom line answer to me was we're only a parts company! We don't fix the products we sell! You have to call Dynamax and I did just that.
I am now over 1,000 miles from home and can't use the leveling system. Does anybody have an idea as to what might have caused this problem and how to fix it? I am headed home but would sure like to get this system working ASAP! This rig is less than 1 year old so needless to say I am Totally Discussed in this Equalizer system and their so called customer service dept. Sorry for the long post BTW...
mike46383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Commercial Member

In 5 years, I have never heard Equalizer say anything remotely close to that.

I personally had an issue, called, they diagnosed over the phone with a video I sent. They sent O-rings to the campsite I was going to be at. Said it was pretty easy. It sort of was, I replaced them in the field with a socket set.

When you say "their bottom line answer was" that feels like paraphrasing. And look, if that's what you felt, that is what you felt, but they don't have service locations all over. So maybe, with your location they did say "you'll need to take it to a service center". I don't feel like that is them saying "we only build parts", but that it will have to go to a dealer and we know all of our dealers.

Did they try and give you any troubleshooting tips?

1. What is the lsat 8 of the VIN?
2. What is your current location?
3. Did you try the "retract all again" and it wasn't working?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #3

Having trouble with Equalizer Leveling System-Major Trouble

I spent a good 30--45 mins on the phone with the Equalizer CS tech (I didnt get his name) and yes I did operate the system many times but the two front jacks just would not retract, they where stuck half way down/up. He told me to get an allen wrench to loosen the set screws to release the pressure which I might have been able to do if I could have seen them. Then he said well maybe it's a blown fuse on the main circuit board located somewhere under the coach! I am a pretty handy guy but crawling around under my rig in a Walmart parking lot with the hopes of maybe finding the device he was talking about is not my idea of fun. I asked him about finding a service outfit or dealer that services these Equalizer systems and his exact words to me where "We're just a parts company" we don't install or service these products! You have to go back to your dealer to get it fixed, what kind of customer service is that I ask you?
Your service rep "CJ" did try to help, he told me to go the Camping World dealership about 30 miles away and at first they couldn't/wouldn't help me at all since I didn't have an appointment or anything. Their service dept manager took matters into his own hands however and came out to help me get the two jacks retracted. It was a two man job to do it. He crawled under the coach got those set screws loosened while I put pressure on the jacks to get them up and retracted. I can't thank him enough, he restored my faith in humanity! He did this on his own, no charge!

I am in Rapid City, SD VIN JG237963

I am the 2nd owner of this Isata 5, I bought it couple months ago from the folks in CA that owned it first and I bet you might remember this rig as it has been back to your factory once before. I am headed home today without the use of the leveling system of course. Hopefully the jacks stay up on my trip home, not sure what to do when I get this rig home. The selling dealer is in CA and I am not going there for service.
mike46383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I had a retract seal blow on my rig as I mentioned on the first night. I then drove about 1000 miles and had no issues with the jacks. (and that was with a blown seal). If you are concerned, the advice given to me was to get a racket strap and strap over the top of the jack. That keeps them up for sure.

Then when you get home, its just a matter of setting up an appointment with a local dealer. Since you bought it used, I don't think any dealer is going to care where you bought it.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

I have not had issues with Equalizer system (yet) and am trying to learn from the solutions posted here. Thanks for posting about the pressure release screw and I am going locate mine just so I know where it is—I assume there is one on DX3.

Aside: what would be symptoms of low hydraulic fluid?

Obviously I know the system would not completely function, but could you retract but not extend or vice versa?

I had a 5th wheel that had hydraulic slides. If the fluid reservoir got too low it would cause the pump to pull more current and pop a fuse. It was weird because when I look at reservoir it looked like there was plenty of fluid to me. But, once I added hydraulic fluid to full line it worked fine.

....strange, the things that happen in The RV Dimension...
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

I called Equalizer and they helped me with a technical issue. You must have reached someone who didn't want to get you to the right person.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Bill & Janet

My Equalizer Leveler failed to lower the right front jack on a trip a couple of years ago. I got it down by taking the wire off the left jack solenoid and putting it on the right. I was able to level and raise the jacks manually by moving the wire back and forth on the right and left solenoids. Pain in the butt but it worked. I called Equalizer and they said it was the auto-level controller. I forget what they wanted but found it cheaper at RVupgrades. Mine was a controller #2730. It was in the battery compartment under the steps. Easy to replace and solved my problem.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Equal...730-p/2730.htm
km5xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

I had them installed at their location in Elkhart Indiana on My SunSeeker. This was done on a Monday after the Frog Rally there. Only thing I had them do different was all the operating equipment on mine, other then the jacks in in a compartment and not on the frame like all the Factory ones are. Only problem I had with mine was the power feed wire came loose from the frame and dropped on the spinning drive shaft. About a half hour fix by me.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #9

If you retrace and get flashing lights and the buzzer, you have a problem and should get out and look. Not think all is well and drive off. It buzzes because you started the engine.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Commercial Member

In Equalizer's defense, it sounds like they were walking you through troubleshooting steps, but when it got to getting underneath you were not interested. They said you did ask for service location, and they did refer you to us in case there were vehicle specific things that came into play and a Dynamax dealer would be best.

I'm sure it was a very frustrating situation and I am not picking sides here, just relaying their side. The CS that answered the phone was the same one that helped me with my O-ring situation. Has been there 7 years.

Tags
equalizer, leveling