Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Hot water with pump,none with city water

I have contacted Atwood but not sure how soon they will respond. I can get hot water when using the pump and tank, but not when I use city water. I have the Atwood tankless on my April 2016 Isata build date. Any suggestions? When on city water , water flows when hot is turned on but is not hot.
RolandRevenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandRevenger View Post
I have contacted Atwood but not sure how soon they will respond. I can get hot water when using the pump and tank, but not when I use city water. I have the Atwood tankless on my April 2016 Isata build date. Any suggestions? When on city water , water flows when hot is turned on but is not hot.
A lot of these tankless type water heaters have to have a minimum flow rate in order for the heater to work. It sounds like you are not getting enough flow rate with the city water.

We have several threads on this, let me see if I can find some.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Here is one thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-89135.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

wmtire, thanks! It did seem that the cold water pressure was okay (I learned of this problem while in the shower this a.m.) But I do use a filter on the water hose and that might reduce flow. I tried to search for threads but it was a frustrating experience.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I tried to search for threads but it was a frustrating experience.
One of the biggest things, is when using multiple search terms is put them in quotations

Like if searching for atwood water heater, type in the search box "atwood water heater" with the quotations.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

wmtire, thanks again. "my searches will be more productive" And I did get through to Atwood; low water flow is the likely culprit. So, either my flow restrictor fitting OR the hose filter OR the combination of the two is the problem, apparently. I will check this out . I know I need to regulate water flow to keep it from being too high and damaging the plumbing; my $6.00 brass regulator, non-adjustable, may need to be replaced with one with a gauge and the ability to be adjusted, if there is such a thing. And my new hose filter may be restricting flow more than the one I used last year; it is the standard Camco hose filter. Really good advice!
Old 05-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
wmtire, thanks again. "my searches will be more productive" And I did get through to Atwood; low water flow is the likely culprit. So, either my flow restrictor fitting OR the hose filter OR the combination of the two is the problem, apparently. I will check this out . I know I need to regulate water flow to keep it from being too high and damaging the plumbing; my $6.00 brass regulator, non-adjustable, may need to be replaced with one with a gauge and the ability to be adjusted, if there is such a thing. And my new hose filter may be restricting flow more than the one I used last year; it is the standard Camco hose filter. Really good advice!
Something like this? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...lator/55355982
Old 05-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

random james, that appears to be what I need to get. Thanks. Did a quick look on google and found some for less money. I might try removing the hose filter, use our current cheap regulator, and see how it goes. We do have the filter in the Isata 3, so the hose filter is redundant when using direct hook up to city water. Regarding the filter in the Isata 3: very expensive, very difficult to remove without spilling water/antifreeze, and the manufacturer tells you to use silicone grease. for what they charge, including a small packet of silicone grease with the filter would be nice. Anyone switch out the included filter assembly for one that has less costly filters?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

I switched out ours when I couldn't get any new filters in easy manner. I changed to Camco Evo Premium that I purchased at a RV/Camper store near me. I can purchase filters for it readily around the country. You may b happier finding and replacing with a different filter system and cartilages near you as many others have done.
retired18whler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Many of the inexpensive so called pressure regulators operate by restricting the flow and not really managing pressure. Once the pressure drops the flow may be insufficient. As mentioned above, get a true pressure regulator.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #11

Maximum water pressure for Isata 3?

Looking at water pressure regulators, some have pre-set limits and other are adjustable. What is the allowed maximum water pressure for an Isata 3? I found no reference to it in the manual, and there are a variety of figures given here on the forum. It would appear that for my Suburban tankless water heater to operate when hooked to city water, I need a certain minimal flow amount while still keeping the pressure below a certain amount.
If members have been satisfied with specific water pressure regulators, please let me know what you use.
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Looking at water pressure regulators, some have pre-set limits and other are adjustable. What is the allowed maximum water pressure for an Isata 3? I found no reference to it in the manual, and there are a variety of figures given here on the forum. It would appear that for my Suburban tankless water heater to operate when hooked to city water, I need a certain minimal flow amount while still keeping the pressure below a certain amount.
If members have been satisfied with specific water pressure regulators, please let me know what you use.
Thanks.
RolandRevenger, just for clarity sake, and so we can follow as the solution presents itself, did you perhaps state Suburban in the post above when you meant Atwood from your original OP?

Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #13

ATWOOD; my bad

I was working on the stove top trying to reduce rattles, and must have had Suburban on my mind. Yes, the water heater is an Atwood. I am home now, and after I leveled our rv (bit of a task on our driveway) I tried to get hot water while using city water. I did not use a hose filter but did use the same Camco water regulator. I would get a short spurt of hot water when opening the tap, but then the water heater would shut down. Since I don't know the water pressure at my home, I did not try the ATWOOD water heater without using our current regulator. I am guessing that the CAMCO regulator is keeping the pressure down, but it may also be reducing the flow by too much.. Sorry for the mix up on my part regarding the brand of water heater.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Water regulator article

This article was helpful for this novice: Water Pressure Regulator Round-Up | WinnebagoLife

However, it appears that the writer used the wrong model of regulator in one case in his testing. But I think how he tested them was helpful. I wonder if the Atwood Tankless requires a specific flow amount. It could also be that my Camco regulator is faulty or broken.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Seems like RV water pumps run about 55 PSI. Anything more than that is asking for issues.

Too high of pressure overrides the back flow preventer on the pump and ends up back filling the water tank on city water.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #16

Good to know; keep it under 55

I will get a new pressure regulator; one that is preset for 50 or 55, or one that is adjustable. Will try to look for flow rates when shopping, and go for higher levels. Thanks . Again, if anyone has one that they have been happy with, please share the make and model. Will be spending two weeks in Colorado this summer, and will have full hookups for about 8 days. Will also have days with no hooks ups. Can't wait.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #17

I tried at least 5 different regulators and had problems with all.
Went to Home Depot and bought one 2 years ago and have had no more issues .
Search Results for water pressure regulator at The Home Depot
Have buy a fitting to use on the hose, I also got the pressure gage, both have been very good.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #18

Hot water in the city!

I took suggestions from many folks and tried to apply the ones that best matched my situation. If we were going to be hooked to city water for prolonged periods or more frequently, I would buy a more expensive water regulator. I would guess we will be hooked to city water for two weeks at the most this year. I did buy a water pressure meter; I confirmed that my home's water pressure is 60, which is five to ten too high. I went with a stainless steel regulator; lots of reports of the brass ones developing leaks. I purchased the one that James of the FitRV uses; he had concerns about the pressure (his target was under 50) but his testing showed that it had the highest flow rate. Since the water pump produces 55 PSI, I was okay with a higher PSI. My new regulator reduces it from 60 to 50. The end result: hot water when hooked to city water. I may bring the pressure gauge with just to double check that the regulator is working. Of course, if water pressure is low at a campground, I will have to use the pump. Here is the regulator that I got: Valterra A01-1114VP High Flow Stainless Steel Water Regulator. Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many of the inexpensive so called pressure regulators operate by restricting the flow and not really managing pressure. Once the pressure drops the flow may be insufficient. As mentioned above, get a true pressure regulator.
psi doesn't change by restricting flow . don't see how one could call it a pressure regulator if it does not reduce pressure . even the cheap ones reduce incoming pressure .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, hot water, pump, water