Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #41

I am in the mobile device business. It is very volatile right now in terms of changes.

Carriers are shuffling their spectrum and buying new as they prepare for higher speeds and new bands. This means a device sold last year or even now does not always support the latest bands and spectrum (example is TMO and 600MHz). That said I would highly suggest something very modular so you are not selling something that is limited 6mo from now. It also allows for upgrades later. This would apply to any modem or repeater preinstalled.

Carriers will continue to all move things around over the next few years as they prepare for 5g. Also know that as LAA (License Assisted Access with unlicensed spectrum) will become a big player as well to help boost speeds in the next year. How this all plays in campgrounds will depend on their coverage and locations but it will hit many popular ones.

WiFi ranger is a great solution for boosting wifi from what I have read but it is very pricy for what it does. I can build the same thing for litterally a third of the price with off the shelf components and about 10min all of which could be upgraded when they become obsolete.
I use this to connect to campground wifi.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YIFHJY...=1GE7BHUGO66K8 note the removable antenna.

This for WiFi in and around the camper that I connect all my devices to
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZF0I3U...=1GE7BHUGO66K8

If WiFi is far I use a directional antenna only when needed but you could use a high gain omni directional antenna in a more permanent mount like WiFi ranger does.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7Z9338...=1GE7BHUGO66K8

Cellular I use my personal WiFi hotspot or cellphone hotspot and connect to that to prevent having to swap all my devices between the WiFi networks.

This does not include a cellular booster but the whole setup is $170 compared to $500ish for WiFi ranger which provides the exact same functionality. Wifi ranger is expensive when most campground WiFi cannot support a single stream of digital content in many cases and it cannot overcome this limitation.

As far as rate limiting, campgrounds that do this also limit or charge per device that connects to the network from my experience so better to consolidate IMOP. If users want to break them off the trailer WiFi and connect direct to the campground they can. In the end you cannot speed up the campground connection and most have little more than home based high speed access. I have gigabit to my home so things are always faster at home and my kid notices.

My suggestion is to prewire jacks and power and include options with something like a cradlepoint modem or something like above that has a backup usb port and a screw on replacable WiFi antenna that can be upgraded to higher gain external. You could use campground WiFi, add a better high gain antenna, add a USB cellular modem or interact with a WiFi hotspot and not have to charge people who want to do it on their own or don't want it. Options with additional margin for FR with each check box I am sure.

Cellular Repeaters I would suggest after market solutions that plug in as options because they will change A LOT in the coming years and it would become either a PR problem and a production nightmare. Look for something that will support current bands as well as 600MHz and LAA.

Fyi the auto industry has tried this in the past and it took them so long to test (a few years of development) that they needed new solutions by the time they launched it. Maintainence is also a problem and when they shut off AMPs service they had to petition Congress to maintain it for a few more years to swap out the modems to digial.

If you have questions let me know as I am happy to help guide you through the Cellular side as I am very aware of cellular carrier band requirements and wireless technology movements in general.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #42

Perfect timing Brian!!!!! Add it to the Isata 5!!!

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I am in the mobile device business. It is very volatile right now in terms of changes.

Carriers are shuffling their spectrum and buying new as they prepare for higher speeds and new bands. This means a device sold last year or even now does not always support the latest bands and spectrum (example is TMO and 600MHz). That said I would highly suggest something very modular so you are not selling something that is limited 6mo from now. It also allows for upgrades later. This would apply to any modem or repeater preinstalled.

Carriers will continue to all move things around over the next few years as they prepare for 5g. Also know that as LAA (License Assisted Access with unlicensed spectrum) will become a big player as well to help boost speeds in the next year. How this all plays in campgrounds will depend on their coverage and locations but it will hit many popular ones.

WiFi ranger is a great solution for boosting wifi from what I have read but it is very pricy for what it does. I can build the same thing for litterally a third of the price with off the shelf components and about 10min all of which could be upgraded when they become obsolete.
I use this to connect to campground wifi.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YIFHJY...=1GE7BHUGO66K8 note the removable antenna.

This for WiFi in and around the camper that I connect all my devices to
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZF0I3U...=1GE7BHUGO66K8

If WiFi is far I use a directional antenna only when needed but you could use a high gain omni directional antenna in a more permanent mount like WiFi ranger does.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7Z9338...=1GE7BHUGO66K8

Cellular I use my personal WiFi hotspot or cellphone hotspot and connect to that to prevent having to swap all my devices between the WiFi networks.

This does not include a cellular booster but the whole setup is $170 compared to $500ish for WiFi ranger which provides the exact same functionality. Wifi ranger is expensive when most campground WiFi cannot support a single stream of digital content in many cases and it cannot overcome this limitation.

As far as rate limiting, campgrounds that do this also limit or charge per device that connects to the network from my experience so better to consolidate IMOP. If users want to break them off the trailer WiFi and connect direct to the campground they can. In the end you cannot speed up the campground connection and most have little more than home based high speed access. I have gigabit to my home so things are always faster at home and my kid notices.

My suggestion is to prewire jacks and power and include options with something like a cradlepoint modem or something like above that has a backup usb port and a screw on replacable WiFi antenna that can be upgraded to higher gain external. You could use campground WiFi, add a better high gain antenna, add a USB cellular modem or interact with a WiFi hotspot and not have to charge people who want to do it on their own or don't want it. Options with additional margin for FR with each check box I am sure.

Cellular Repeaters I would suggest after market solutions that plug in as options because they will change A LOT in the coming years and it would become either a PR problem and a production nightmare. Look for something that will support current bands as well as 600MHz and LAA.

Fyi the auto industry has tried this in the past and it took them so long to test (a few years of development) that they needed new solutions by the time they launched it. Maintainence is also a problem and when they shut off AMPs service they had to petition Congress to maintain it for a few more years to swap out the modems to digial.

If you have questions let me know as I am happy to help guide you through the Cellular side as I am very aware of cellular carrier band requirements and wireless technology movements in general.

Good insight, thanks.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #44

While I don't have one yet, I see more and more friends using mobile hotspots (such as your 4G option). Typically they are using them while traveling by car - spouse driving and the user on their laptop etc being a mobile worker. Or they use them when in a hotel, visiting a friends, etc.

While your engineers concern is theoretically correct, I haven't seen a 'hoteling' wifi setup that performed well. My concern as a user is more around security, which I can improve if I use an on-board router.
JJT-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #45

I opted to use the Verizon Jetpack as opposed to the WiFi that came with my 2015 Chevy Colorado. The Colorado system used AT&T and was limited to use while the Colorado was running or in accessory mode. The Jetpack allows me to transport a secure WiFi system to where ever I happen to be. Under our Verizon plan, we can boost the 4k to 10k on demand without surcharges. I limit updating on all the devices wile connected to the Jetpack. It has worked well so far, we have not been in an area that did not have reception. Also, thanks dbledan for your post! Great information!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #46

Hey Brian - that prototype antenna sound nice - let me know if it becomes available on the new units - Hoping to get my DX3 - 37TS in April. After reading this thead - I definitely like the idea of the conduits for future expansion. I don't know how long most people keep their RV's, but I plan on keeping mine for a long time. It would be great to be able to run wires easily down the road.
4DayJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #47

What I would like to see is a cell phone extender, exterior mounted antenna. Most of us pay for internet on our phones and it’s usually better than park WiFi. It’s just the signal can be weak.
We just bought an isata 3 at the Pomona show so too late for me but maybe for future units. By the way Joe was wonderful, explaining all the benefits of dynamax and when he showed us the new couch model, wife was sold. Bye bye solera, hello dynamax w
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Maybe...it will be a few weeks for production model. You don't have a coach so I'll have to find another taker and when you finally get yours at Christmas next year, that will be too late.

You have a coach sitting in your visitor parking that would be willing to demo ....
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #49
Commercial Member

So far they have no production pieces. Just fake models I think. My only concern is the OTA antenna. It is an omnidirectional. But how many people are counting on OTA channels anyway?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #50

Guinea Pig here!!!!!! Lol

2018 Isata 5 DS
sseaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #51

Brian - any updates on what you decided on this? Going to include it (or offer as an option anyway)?
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #52

Yes, definitely a +1.

Both my wife and I have been freelancers for 30+ years and are not yet retired. 90% of our work over the years is e-communication with clients plus uploading downloading files. During our winter travels in the RV, we both have work to deal with. That means finding decent WiFi....somewhere.

Though in reality, it's not too bad, there's always a Starbucks somewhere, it would be great to have much, much better WiFi.
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaching View Post
Yes, definitely a +1.

Both my wife and I have been freelancers for 30+ years and are not yet retired. 90% of our work over the years is e-communication with clients plus uploading downloading files. During our winter travels in the RV, we both have work to deal with. That means finding decent WiFi....somewhere.

Though in reality, it's not too bad, there's always a Starbucks somewhere, it would be great to have much, much better WiFi.
Between the Mobley and Unite Explore I’ve had few problems getting strong Wi-Fi just about anywhere. There are many other options. These folks seem to have a handle on all the latest stuff. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
I say make either a cellular booster or WiFi router available as options.

I've worked in telecommunication in business-to-business sales for 26 years. I currently sell wired and wireless services...and security services. Security is a big concern these days. Your phone, tablet, hot spot, or laptop can be hacked via a campground WiFi or a bad person pretending to be the campground WiFi. Once they're in your device they can log your keystrokes and gain access to all your data...even hold it for ransom. So the more important question about the campground WiFi is not how much bandwidth they have, but how secure is their network and what are you doing over it?

My preference would be a cellular booster because everything I do stays on the cellular network that is exponentially more secure than any campground network. Unlimited is back on networks that work where we go...like Verizon and AT&T. Switch to unlimited and use campground WiFi as an alternative. Use your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot if you need to connect a laptop or WiFi-only tablet.

Me personally...being in the industry...I look to be disconnected on our trips!
Shultz is 100% correct. Security is the main issue. Stay on the cellular net or risk getting hacked. Use a smartphone as a WiFi hotspot. If you have an ACL capability for MAC addresses, use it. I am a recently retired CIO from one of the largest law enforcement agencies in this country.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #55

Adding conduits seems to be the most practical improvement.
The last couple of homes that I’ve built I added way more pvc conduits than I needed and eventually wound up using most.

Could the existing CB antenna mount be used as a penetration for a 4g booster?

Also could I use my existing dome for the new antenna bclemens mentioned?

We don’t use either satellite antenna or CB radio but we use internet a lot. We primarily use AT&T but have Verizon as a backup.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I agree with this post and other similar posts. I had two recent cars where the connectivity was outdated quickly. So a good marketing idea was useless. Leave it up to the consumer but make it easy to run wires.

Brian, consider all the requests you get now for all the various products available. This will drive you nuts.
Conduits, chases and access panels are the best solution for future-proofing as long as they are large enough to handle cable connectors like HDMI.
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #57

WiFi extender please. Want to pick up the signal from McDonalds without going in. Feel free to put the option in my Isata 3. Was told it might be ready by April.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 AM   #58

That's something I'd pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Just saw an early prototype for Winegard. Dome style antenna with the following antennas...
WiFi, 4G LTE, FM, OTA TV. All housing in a dome. You can buy their data package or plug in your own sim card. Sounds promising.
One Antenna/Unit on the roof the does it all but Sat TV. I like it.
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:58 AM   #59

Check out the WiFi Ranger’s Facebook page or google WiFi Ranger news. They are just about to ship a WiFi extender for the roof along with a SIM card for 4g cellular. Also included is a very small router for inside the coach. It will retail for $299.00. Looks very promising.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
One Antenna/Unit on the roof the does it all but Sat TV. I like it.
What bands does it support. It needs to support 600mhz to be very effective for some carriers.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote