Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

How do these hold up stored outside

Another newb question for the day. Sorry for all these, but the info has been very good and honest so far.

So the question is how do these Dynamax coaches (mainly DX3 or Force) hold up when being stored outside in the sun and rain...

They obviously sit outside at most dealers and when in use, but I'm trying to price out storage and covered storage is quite a bit more and not available very close to my house.

I figured it would be nice to keep it closer for the first 6 months as I'm fiddling with it constantly and then maybe I can store it further away (30-45min...) in covered storage once the trip duration and frequency spread out more.

I figure the first few months will be short weekend trips close to home to get the routine down....

I'm sure there are issues with them sitting out constantly over time... but just wanted to hear some experiences in terms of problem areas and anything that can be done to eliminate them when storing outside...
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
At least store it under roof. The sun, acid rain and snow are no friends to these things. If it makes you feel better we store ours 40min away from home and another owner on here stores their's 90min away!!!

Another owner on here had their's stored outside where it snows alot, they had plenty of roof issues.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

you think 1 summer would have that much impact... I figure they often sit on dealer lots longer.....

Plan on covered for sure eventually.. Was just hoping to keep it closer for the first 6 months....
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #4

I wouldn’t worry about one year even. Mine sat outside for 1.5 years without issue. It’s the longer term prospects of sun and snow that scared me and got me to put it inside. That and a killer deal on a pole barn rental (otherwise it’d still be outside in the summer at least). I’m 1.5 hrs from home ... handy part is when you spend a weekend working on it you have a place to sleep and a fridge for the beer.

For a short period I think then only risk would be catching any leaks quickly as I’m convinced it’s prolonged water intrusion that wreaks the most havoc.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Actually I take that back. Was only outside for 9 mo. Didn’t end up sitting over a winter
Old 06-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Keep it clean/waxed and leak free and it will do just fine outside. Talk to snow birds or full timers. We had a 2013 39' Mobil Suites with custom full body paint and it stayed outside for its entire life. 6+ months in Lake Havasu City, AZ when we snow birded and the rest of the time on the Olympic Peninsula of the Pacific North Wet. Sold it to a friend (yes they still are) and it now stays outside in LHC full time. Still looks great. Keep it clean/waxed and leak free.

Full disclosure: our DX3 is in covered storage here in St George, UT.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
Snow birds aren't leaving it in the snow for the winter
Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Inside is best, under overhead roof second, outside in mild climate third...Arizona or Texas sun both kill outside plastics, paints, rubber, including tires...and will also yellow your headlights on a Freightliner...the heat also wreaks havoc on the interior as well especially any vinyl items....

Keep it out of direct sun is best option of all...I kept my Fifth Wheel indoors for 10 yrs, stuck it outside for two yrs and it aged more in those two years than all the 10 before...sun/weather kills RV's period...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

In the hot Texas sun, everything is best under cover from the sun. Do you have a lot of trees at your house?

Since you are going to be storing it near home during hurricane season, that'll be a plus in case of storms. Also, taking it on trips will be better than letting it sit unused in a storage area.

IMHO that would tip the scales into storing it at home for 6 months.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #10

My investment is less than half what a Force or DX3 costs and I keep mine in enclosed storage with power to keep the batteries charged. Here in South Texas I would expect to have roof issues if exposed to the 100f Summer temps, not to mention the hail threat.

I think units that sit a long time on dealer lots are more likely to have issues.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #11
D W

It always amazes me when I read all the recommendations about covered storage for RV's. Think about it,... the average RV spends over half the year in CG's or rolling down the highway. No covered CG's or highways out there; and then there's the claim that it has to be covered while stored for the off-season to protect it from UV rays? It's already been exposed to the most intense UV rays.

I don't get it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

X 2!
vicetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #13
Bene Gesserit Rule

I would think that the consequences would be the same as with any other automobile, only with a cheaper paint job.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorving View Post
Snow birds aren't leaving it in the snow for the winter
I am guessing the Sun does more damage that the Snow ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #15

Both actually do alot of damage. Sun dries out the seals, caulking etc. When snow melts and refreezes the ice pushes up under seals etc can cause alot of damage. Your car doesn't have equipment on the roof. If you want to leave your rig outside be diligent in roof maintenance and cover those tires in the sun. As for me and many others, when you spend over $200-300,000 on an RV you protect that investment in at least covered storage
Old 06-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #16

I think mentally it’s a question of your unit wearing/aging when you’re not getting to enjoy it. As an example of both ends of the spectrum: I’d be much less upset when my paint has 2 years of aging on it I got 2 years of fun and enjoyment out of living in it versus it sitting in a lot being stored and aging the same amount with no enjoyment.

Sort of a pushing pause on the aging I guess. Or at least an attempt to
Old 06-22-2018, 09:53 AM   #17

Common sense is not so common anymore...thats all I got to say about that...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote