Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #1

How do you afford your Dynamax and can you teach me to do the same?

I've been a lurker here for several weeks and would love to own one of these beautiful Dynamax DX3 model motorhomes but the price is somewhat out of my reach right now.

I'm kinda curious as to the profession of the members here who can afford these beautiful rigs and maybe some advice as to how to follow in your steps?

“The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do." -Bob Ross
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #2

Marry someone who got one in a Divorce settlement! Youroo!!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

You can always buy one that has been lightly loved.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

It takes LOTS and LOTS of money. To aford expensive toys you need a job that pays lots of it. And then you need to throw that money down the toilet. Wise investers put their available cash to work for them.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
I've been a lurker here for several weeks and would love to own one of these beautiful Dynamax DX3 model motorhomes but the price is somewhat out of my reach right now.

I'm kinda curious as to the profession of the members here who can afford these beautiful rigs and maybe some advice as to how to follow in your steps?

“The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do." -Bob Ross
I think Bob Ross already answered your question for you!

1st Post. Welcome to the forum!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
It takes LOTS and LOTS of money. To aford expensive toys you need a job that pays lots of it. And then you need to throw that money down the toilet. Wise investers put their available cash to work for them.
Real nice. Did someone go potty in your Wheaties this morning? Seriously, if you don't have anything positive and productive to say then I, for one, would rather you please say nothing. We don't need negative comments trashing those of us that chose to purchase a top quality motorhome because we can afford it. Kindly learn how to spell and go spread your ill will somewhere else. Thanks.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Real nice. Did someone go potty in your Wheaties this morning? Seriously, if you don't have anything positive and productive to say then I, for one, would rather you please say nothing. We don't need negative comments trashing those of us that chose to purchase a top quality motorhome because we can afford it. Kindly learn how to spell and go spread your ill will somewhere else. Thanks.
I dont have lot$$ & lot$$ but I saved for retirement. Spent plenty of nights at the race track sleeping in the back of a pick up! Work hard & save first. Buy used.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910_095825.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	171836

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

What dbutton said, didnt have any of the things I have today when we were raising our 4 kids, family was priority one then and we did without the toys, camped in tents and was still fun..
Old 05-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post

Work hard and save like crazy for your retirement. I read a bunch of books about retirement savings before I retired and one thing stuck with me was the 80% rule. When you retire if you have most everything paid for like your house and such then if your retirement income is about 80% of what your working income was, then you'll be fine. Baring catastrophe or market crash. The 80% rule means you can pretty much live as you did when you worked because working costs you about that other 20%. So combine your savings, SS, and 401k or whatever you have and try to get to that 80% figure. Then you can play like you see these folks on here doing.

These aren't absolutes but a pretty good guide that has worked for me since 2006 when I retired. Welcome to the forum!

Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #10
Consumer of Space

Its all about priorities. I'm not retired, my wife and I make about the same salary. We chose between a new RV or a second story on the house. I also deferred a new SUV for a few years...

With 2 and 4 year olds, we figure the kids will remember the RV more than the second story or new car. The kids love to play in the RV and have "camped" in the driveway for a change of pace, but we try to get out 6 or 8 times a year.

I can camp on the beach in Camp Pendelton which is 30-40 minutes away for a quick weekend getaway. This year's big trip is to the Grand Tetons / Yellowstone. My guess is that the kids will remember the Cherry Hill water park more than the national parks.

Family time is a good thing.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #11

When the kids were little we tent camped, because that is all we could afford to do. We bought a little camper when we could. Then we got a bigger one and so on it went until we purchased this previously loved coach. We have been "camping" as a hobby for 25 years now. We now bring our grandkids with us sometimes and I might need a bigger coach soon (the grand kids are still small enough to fit in the beds with their parents)but I will cross that bridge when I get there. As a RV enthusiast I have always wanted a Dynaquest ( quality and beauty ) and I feel fortunate to be able to own one. You can and will achieve your dreams. Just be careful what you wish for and have fun on the journey. We are both in our fifties now and didn't own our Dynaquest until last year. We have enjoyed the journey TO here and will enjoy the journey FROM here.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #12

40+ years of hard work. I started working in 1968 at 14 years old, and quit working in 2009 at age 55 and started playing. I just bought my DX3 a couple of weeks ago, paid cash, bought new.
Las Vegas, NV
johnmbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #13

I also live by the 80% rule.

I need a minimum of 80% MORE than I needed while I was working.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #14

I love the Dynamax! If we ever go the motorhome route, Dynamax will be a front runner.

And actually, in the MH realm, Dynamax is often called the budget class C/Super C with Class A comforts.

So if a MH is your desire, Dynamax is a great aspiration. As far as affording them, no one I know started out with $100 to $200k rigs. We all gradually worked our way into them as we could afford them. Or at least almost afford them
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #15

It's not always about how much you earn. Although a fatter paycheck sure doesn't hurt. It's more about how you live your life. I personally know 7 people with no more than a high school diploma ( so no killer incomes ). All from modest backgrounds, so did not inherit. All are millionaires ( three are multi-millionaires ). Maybe read THE MILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR for some pointers.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #16

DINK ... need i say more?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #17

My wife didn't ask if we could afford one. She just said we was getting one...

Plus a friend of mine told me, after I was fussing about having to spend the money on a motorhome, he had never seen a Wells Fargo truck following a Hearse to a funeral.

To me honestly, its not what you can afford or how many bells and whistles it has, but you enjoy what you do have.... When I was growing up my mom and dad could not afford much. We camped in a used 18' Smokey pulled with a used truck my dad got from my uncle.. I have as good of memories in that as I will in anything..

Ever read the book The Last Lecture? Very good book and eye opening.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
Its all about priorities. I'm not retired, my wife and I make about the same salary. We chose between a new RV or a second story on the house. I also deferred a new SUV for a few years...

With 2 and 4 year olds, we figure the kids will remember the RV more than the second story or new car. The kids love to play in the RV and have "camped" in the driveway for a change of pace, but we try to get out 6 or 8 times a year.

I can camp on the beach in Camp Pendelton which is 30-40 minutes away for a quick weekend getaway. This year's big trip is to the Grand Tetons / Yellowstone. My guess is that the kids will remember the Cherry Hill water park more than the national parks.

Family time is a good thing.
Same here. Decided to buy and take family around the country. A family that plays together, stays together. We too are doing the Tetons/Yellowstone this summer. June 17-26..
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #19

We spent our kids inheritance!
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #20

If you give your kids an inheritance, you’re doing it wrong!

Tags
ford