Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

How Often Do You Really Check Your Generator Oil?

The Cummins / Onan manual says to check the engine oil level each day before operation. I'm curious as to how many of you Dynamax owners really do this. If not, how often? On my I5 I have to open the slide, then remove 4 screws and an aluminum plate to get the dipstick out. Thanks!

I5PhilGa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I5PhilGa View Post
The Cummins / Onan manual says to check the engine oil level each day before operation. I'm curious as to how many of you Dynamax owners really do this. If not, how often? On my I5 I have to open the slide, then remove 4 screws and an aluminum plate to get the dipstick out. Thanks!
I check mine before every start up, also check the Cummins engine, coolant, and transmission fluid.
Just been trained to do that, I do it on all my stuff: tractors, mowers, etc.
You never know when it may save you.
You should do it too.

2018: days camped 126
2019: days camped
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I check mine before every start up, also check the Cummins engine, coolant, and transmission fluid.
Just been trained to do that, I do it on all my stuff: tractors, mowers, etc.
You never know when it may save you.
You should do it too.
Your discipline and training is to be commended sir. Just to clarify, if you run your generator and AC while traveling on the road and you stop (for an hour or two), do you always re-check your Generator Oil level before re-starting?
I5PhilGa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #4
Coach

Like most things in life, it's about a routine. If your not familiar with this motor, check it daily for a while. If it's not burning oil maybe move to every 12 hours of operation and so on. I'll never tell you it's not important to check the oil, but newer diesels also aren't the oil burners their predecessors were. That being said, running low or out of oil will be a costly mistake and not covered by warranty so use your best judgement.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #5
RV There Yet?

at work we inspect and run 600KW and 800KW Cummins Diesel Gensets. we have a routine that includes checking the oil as part of a checklist. we check it before each scheduled start up. we obviously cannot check it during a power outage when they will auto start. get in the habit of checking your oil on a regular basis, regardless of use, say weekly or monthly or as part of your pre and post trip inspection if you used it or plan on using it.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Mine has never used any oil so I check it pre trip. I dry camp a lot but with the solar I hardly run the generator unless I want A/C. If I were running it for hours at a time I would probably check it more often. At least till I had a good idea of its oil usage.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

I get mine checked at de winterize time. I have no intention of climbing under the rear of this Dynamax Rev 24TB, getting stuck under there and trying to check the little dipstick on the side. I remember somewhere that the oil level should be checked yearly but I am not sure. Certainly, those who use their Onans regularly may want to check the oil level more regularly and in fact it is supposed to be changed at some point(yearly?)
fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpaddler1 View Post
I get mine checked at de winterize time. I have no intention of climbing under the rear of this Dynamax Rev 24TB, getting stuck under there and trying to check the little dipstick on the side. I remember somewhere that the oil level should be checked yearly but I am not sure. Certainly, those who use their Onans regularly may want to check the oil level more regularly and in fact it is supposed to be changed at some point(yearly?)

Yeah, I can't crawl under my REV to check the generator oil. But I get that oil changed every year when it is up on the lift getting the engine oil changed.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

My generator stops itself if the oil gets too low, so I don't check it very often.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #10

The genny has oil?

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, generator