Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Pawnee Buffalo Hunter

How often does having an under 30' rv become an issue

If one was deciding between the 2 sizes of Isata 5s, is having the larger coach going to limit you daily or so as to what you can do and see and/or where you can go if you are on the go full timing it?

And is there that much more difficult or tiresome maneuvering the larger over smaller Isata 5? Is 6' that huge a difference from a driving standpoint, with a rear camera of course?

Is one, from a driving perspective only, going to be thinking daily, "Darn, wish I had the smaller Isata?"
LittleMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #2

Everybody is different. For me a longer coach would only restrict my choices for an rv space is some parks. Length is not an issue for me when pulling or parking. I limited my choice to less than 40' only due to a CA law requiring a special license for RV's over 40'. We like a large size. Just personal preference. We pulled a 40' fifth wheel for years with no problems.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #3

What he said. I like the 36' and have owned just about every size you can imagine all the way up to the big tag axle busses.

The 36' I5 handles great fits in all but the smallest parks, I'm sure the 30' would have a much better turning radius and such and be better in city traffic and such. We like ours just like it is.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

How often does having an under 30' rv become an issue

I’m my minor experience only older state parks/KOAs have tiny spots. I have seen parks where a 35-40 trailer and 20-25 truck would have issues maneuvering through the campgrounds. A popular OK state park comes to mind. Most RV parks can easily handle the longest combos. Looks like to me a 35ish MH would be ideal as it will almost go everywhere I am familiar with. Downside of a mh vs a trailer is that it doesn’t bend in the middle...that’s the only difference to me.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
ETF

As the others have said, it's a matter of personal choice and a function of how you are going to use it. We have friends who go camping for months in a Sprinter. At one time my S-I-L hauled her 22 foot trailer all over the country. The smallest we've had has been 30 feet and although quite livable, I wouldn't go back to something that small for long trips ... short trips and week-ends, it would be fine.

As far as full timing in it, you will almost certainly have a toad where you park the RV at a camp site and use the towed vehicle for running around. Also, full timing you might be glad of the extra storage space and room that comes with the larger RV.

Sorry, I can't be any more help than that.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

I used to take a 40' class A pretty much everywhere. Scouted locations via Google earth, used the toad to scout where questionable, never had an issue. MMMV

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

if you head to national parks out west frequently, many sites are size limited. For instance in Many Glacier campground, in Glacier National Park, there are 5 spots reservable for up to 30 ft. Only 3 of these sites allow generators.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

Always be aware of your overhang.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Always be aware of your overhang.
YES, They've got bigg Butts and they wil be "swingin".

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #10

We have a 30 foot class A and do NOT drag a car. (Have scoots on a rack) Wouldn't have it any other way as I never have a problem finding a spot and can pull in and park in any shopping center and virtually any gas station and can back up when needed without detaching anything.
I recognize that most don't do what we do... but there are benefits for us and we would do it again.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

base your decision on your expected use. The 30 ft will allow you to fit in almost all parks and have more CCC for boondocking (water ).
I have the 36 DS. One of the primary uses is 2 + months going south for the winter. So we like the extra space and the king bed. There have been a couple of state and Natl parks where we could not get a spot due to length. No issues at private campgrounds.
Driving the 36 ft is easy.
So start with how you will use the unit to decide which size is best.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #12

If it were only my wife and I, definitely would have went with 30' over 36'. At that point would probably have an enclosed aluminum car trailer that could handle any extra gear needed. This would be the ideal rig, and with the ability to back the trailer instead of disconnecting a toad.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
FR3 Grampy

We have an FR3...DS25. It's small and very maneuverable (just 25 feet long). We like travelling more than staying in one spot for a lengthy time. We like taking the back roads and looking at the most wonderful things along country roads. If we take a wrong turn, which we often do, we can easily turn around. We don't have a car in tow so parking at any shopping center is not a problem. We can even stop at a McDonald's and get free WiFi when we need it. Ass for campgrounds, we have never been refused a spot on account of our size. As a mater of fact we've had some of the most beautiful sites because we could fit into a small space.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #14
AF CMSGT RET

The difference in size as you've probably guessed is where you go with you RV. I live in alaska and own the I3 RW which is 24 ft. I bought it for 2 basic reasons . 1 the diesel engine = fuel mileage and power and 2 the size versus the variety of roads we travel on 95 % of the time. Especially in Canada and Alaska. I though am highly interested in the"new" 30foot B to B I5 based on the statistics that so far have been talked about , Ie 4 wheel drive, dodge cummins engine and frame plus the 1 side extension and permanent rear bed. Other things also like I have on the I3 and are like the floor plan shown on the "new" I5. But again the 25 to 30 foot is the optimum size for the roads I/less traveled. I have lived up here for 30 years and have had a variety of trucks , fifth wheels, A's, C.s and TTs and find that the Dynamax one of the best vehicles straight from PU in Indiana and drive straight to AK with minimum dealer quirks and only fix once , then for the next 2 years a very reliable and user friendly coach. So in ending Enjoy whichever you decide for your personal style and usage.
pickeljr is offline   Reply With Quote