Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #1

How to secure a pocket door

We took our new 36FK out to the Grand Canyon for its inaugural trip. Most everything worked fine and those that didn't are currently being repaired at the dealership.

One thing that didn't work so well was the pocket door between the washer/dryer and the bathroom. The bungee cord security system failed when the wife attempted to use that door. One end of the cord separated from the plastic retainer leaving a length of cord rather than the bight. Two attempts to fix it resulted in it just pulling out again and again. On the other hand, the sliding door between the bedroom and the bathroom/sink area worked flawlessly. That door utilizes a rare earth magnet to retain the door. Since neither of these doors will be used very often (maybe once or twice a year) I would rather have the door securely fastened during transits rather than easily released to close.

So, I am looking to replace the bungee capture system with the rare earth magnet. My question is has anyone else attempted this? Is the magnet(s) part available from Dynamax (Brian?)?

Thanks!

Joe

Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #2

I like the magnet on the front door as stated, but I am not sure how you would install the magnet on the other door, not enough room between the bathroom and the washer/dryer. I will probably install another stainless steel bolt lock on the bottom of the door like I had on the Force. Kept the door in place when traveling, no issues.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

I use the stainless locks that Halla refers to, they work great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4297.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	165389
Jammer151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

We use the SS bolts on both our sliders. The banging while traveling was very distracting. They work really well and are a simple solution.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

Our pocket doors have a white plastic strap that runs across the front and snaps to the other wall.
Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
Our pocket doors have a white plastic strap that runs across the front and snaps to the other wall.
Our previous camper had a pocket door. Its strap went from one side to a snap on the front of the door edge itself. When it was snapped it never came loose while traveling. Unsnap it and the strap hung on the side of the wall.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Our previous camper had a pocket door. Its strap went from one side to a snap on the front of the door edge itself. When it was snapped it never came loose while traveling. Unsnap it and the strap hung on the side of the wall.

One of our straps helps us meet one of the owners of the Premier RV Resorts. Forest River did not install, nothing new on our wicked kitty, it correctly and it broke. We met the owner at Boardman, Or and with his selection of washers and screws we were able to fix both door straps correctly. Another of the many fixes that Forest River installed incorrectly.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

On my 5ver we use a piece of pool noodle. You can't leave it in there forever or it looses it's "springiness" use it only when traveling. We use a longer piece in the microwave between the turntable and the top inside of the oven to hold the turntable in place.

We put it there because the constant movement of the door pulls the little strap apart over time. Having fixed it 3 times I came up with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noodle.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	165582  
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
On my 5ver we use a piece of pool noodle. You can't leave it in there forever or it looses it's "springiness" use it only when traveling. We use a longer piece in the microwave between the turntable and the top inside of the oven to hold the turntable in place.

We put it there because the constant movement of the door pulls the little strap apart over time. Having fixed it 3 times I came up with this.

one thousand uses for pool noodles.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
one thousand uses for pool noodles.
I started a thread "100 used for a 5 gallon bucket." but the forum could only come up with 34.

But I bet we could find 1000 uses for pool noodles.

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door